Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil [Netflix]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,181 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix have released premiere date, synopsis and artwork for the series.

Hopefully it's better than the last movie that dropped.

Drops July 14th

Year 2036 – 14 years after a deadly virus caused a global apocalypse, Jade Wesker fights for survival in a world overrun by the blood-thirsty infected and insane creatures. In this absolute carnage, Jade is haunted by her past in New Raccoon City, by her father’s chilling connections to the Umbrella Corporation but mostly by what happened to her sister, Billie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Can't see hardcore Resident Evil fans liking the look of that.

But it also can't be any worse than the truly godawful Welcome to Racoon City film from a few months back. Boo boy that was some stinker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Another trailer popped up. Not often you get 2 in quick succession.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Underground

Just saw the trailers and... sigh... This does not look up to much at all.

I'll reserve full judgement until it's out but predictably it looks like they're more focused on ticking the D&I boxes than actually delivering a decent series, unsurprising given it's Netflix we're talking about. The Netflix adaptation meme strikes again.

If this turns out to be good I'll be the first to metaphorically eat my hat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So is the Teddy Bear going to be the new Red Queen? And if it's not evil, the woman with the eyebrows that it showed after definitely is.

Can't put my finger on what tone this thing is going for; razor straight, madness and camp, or some mixture?

2 teasers and 1trailer later and I'm still none the wiser as to why they've called this RE bar the obvious brand recognition benefit.

Looks like very tired post apocalyptic zombie fare, more Walking Dead than RE. They've fcked it up, haven't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Feels like a more modernised take/version of the films I know.

• Advertisement

The search function on this site is maybe the worst thing in the entire history of the internet anyway i watched the first two episodes and this fits right in the middle of 5 out of 10 just like every other resident evil made for the screen i will probably finish off the other six episodes over the weekend but if i dont i do not think im missing much

• Registered Users Posts: 60,181 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Watched the first episode and the only good thing about it is Lance Reddick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭mightyreds

That school scene was brilliant, how did they get him on board top actor

Turlough Convey looks to be having a great time with his role.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,432 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I enjoyed ep 1 after deciding this wasn't the RE i grew up with. Reddick school scene has me onboard with this new Wesker. Some dodgy acting but looking forward to the rest of the episodes after ep 1.

You could make a good drinking game out of taking a shot each time one of the characters is captured by, and manages to escape from, Umbrella Corp or any of the other various bad guys. I'd say maybe a dozen times over the two timelines. Just chain them to a radiator, ffs.

Watched the first episode. So do you think the Billie Eilish fan named Billie was partially inspired by Billie Eilish? 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

So.. anyone equate it to the level of any of the Milla Jovovich films? Or different/doing it's own thing maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

It's not like the films, it's doing it's own thing and trying to stay more or less within the overall background set out in the games it's set after RE5 (maybe 6 but there's a definite reference to the events of 5) so it's not really contradicting anything already established and what it at first appears to contradict is explained by episode 7.

Just finished it it's fine for what it is probably a 6 out of 10 it was watchable throughout. The first 3 episodes felt like it was written for something else and then had RE tacked on afterwards but episode 4 on ties in more with the RE lore and there's a lot of easter eggs thrown in- but not always in a good way, episode 4 in particular has some nods to RE4. There's some lazy writing because it suits a plot point and rather than properly plan it out you're just supposed to accept it for example Umbrella labs has no security and no one responds to an alarm - but RE isn't unique in this regard.

There's some very ropey CGI at the start but I think they saved the budget for the end and the Zombies or Zeroes as they call them here don't feel true to the games they are neither the OG zombie or the Las Plagas Zombies.

Post edited by Daxve on

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cagefactor

Binged it yesterday, 4/10, should not be renewed really - poor acting, dodgy CGI, terrible protagonist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'd love to see it renewed I really enjoyed it , the guy playing Wesker is fantastic

And finished

Think Bert is the least Lance Reddick that I've seen Lance Reddick act.

OG Wesker reminds me of Wesley Snipes' Blade.

Was thinking it would turn out that both of Simon's moms were Jade and Billie's.

Expected the zombies to avoid Billie at the camp since she has the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,180 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Quite enjoyed that (love anything with "zombies") - wasn't great but wasn't the Day of the Dead show bad

Just finished it and unfortunately it turned out to be pretty bad as I feared, although not as awful as I expected.

I liked Reddick as Wesker, I liked the Evelyn character too, some of the visuals were cool. You can tell it had a pretty decent budget. I can't think of much else positive to say.

The acting apart from Wesker and Evelyn was terrible. The writing is dreadful. So many things the characters do and say make no sense.

Still better than the Mila Jovovich films and WTRC though.

I still maintain that they could have called this something else, it's not really related to RE at all bar a few references here and Easter eggs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah it's very much Resident Evil in name(s) only. It was just okay imo. Passable. Some good moments, but a lot of things just set up to try heighten drama but which was quickly dismissed and ignored. A lot of things needlessly convoluted too. And the character of Baxter was just terrible.

Could have been better, but could have been worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭cena

Not a gripping series. I you don't watch it, your not missing anything

• Registered Users Posts: 29,432 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Watched 2 episodes, i feel this is gonna be a chore to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Watched 3 episodes, pretty good so far. Far better than the Anderson films anyway. I'm liking this new version of Wesker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Cody montana

This was beyond dreadful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I feel like this would have been better accepted if they went down the line of "Based in the Resident Evil world" or something.

It's okay, I'm not going to say it's bad or it's great. It's super average and predictable, and just another zombie show after 3 episodes watched.

Advertisement