Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

Anyone heading to the Waterford tomorrow night for the lecture in the Museum of Time at 7.30?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Took the plunge and offered 10% less than asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Iguarantee

Hi all,

My current watch collection consists of an OceanX Sharkmaster 1000 which I bought circa 18 months ago.

I do like it, particularly as it’s heavy and feels solid on my wrist.

I had previously mentioned in this forum that one of the first high-end watches I saw as a kid was a Rolex Sea Dweller. It made quite an impression on me and thoughI really like the Sea Dweller but the price puts me off as it appears to be double the price of a submariner. The submariner doesn’t really float my boat.

A former colleague at work had an Omega (maybe a diver 600) which I was very impressed by.

I had a look on the Omega website and it shows the RRP for each watch. My question is, should I choose to get an Omega, where is the best place to buy it? Is there typically a markup on the RRP, if so, approximately how much is the markup?

I appreciate these are not cheap items to buy, but I’m likely only going to buy one of two of these in my lifetime so I’d prefer to pay as little as possible :)

Any advice you can offer is appreciated.

Ffs, they came back with a counter offer and before I could log in and buy it the watch was sold.

Wasn't the only one who thought it was a good price!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭scwazrh

It actually appears in stock now on the °ie website and out of stock on °co°uk website.

I've sent them an email so hopefully will be clarified in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi,

If you are buying Omega I'd highly recommend buying second hand. For most models once you buy you will see a dip in value of 20 percent in some cases. Look on Chrono24 and buy nearly new. For example a new seamaster 300 is about 5600 rrp. I bought as good as new one on Chrono24 for 3800.

You won't get much discount in shops. Worth going to weirs or lunns or your closest retailer to try on.

Best of luck with the shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

@Iguarantee - the Sharkmaster 1000 are terrific watches for the money. I had one too (the SMS1012 Rolex James Cameron hommage) and went on to buy the real thing

If you really want a Seadweller but are going for second best with the Omega, you are always going to still want the Seadweller. An error many of us in here have made. By all means work your way up, simply nobody goes from a €400 to a €14000 watch in one step. Just try and make sure you do not lose a lot of money on the way as that would only make the time longer before you are able to afford the watch you really want. Buying a new Omega will almost certainly mean you will lose a lot of money when you sell it.

Chrono24 prices should only be used as a guideline for the highest price to pay and also as a directory to find dealers. When I bought my seamaster it was €4300 new on bracelet on Chrono , I contacted the dealer through their instagram page and got it for €3960 .

Obviously you need to be comfortable that the dealer is legit as you’ve less security outside Chrono but once you do your homework is definitely cheaper to buy direct than Chrono getting their 6% of the sale.

As mick says the discounts from b&m stores seems to be gone now so just use them for trying on the watches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Iguarantee

Thanks for the replies lads.

I actually wanted the James Cameron OceanX but it was sold out and I didn’t really want to wait as my existing watch had broken.

The Omega Ultra Deep is also one I’ve admired, in my eyes it’s nicer than the Sea Dweller, but “it’s not a Rolex”.

I have no practical use for a diving watch but I’m 6’3” and north of 100kg and historically the lighter watches just don’t feel right.

I had assumed I’d go for a new watch for the whole experience of buying it new, I take your point on the second hand value though. Perhaps I’d end up selling an Omega to get the Rolex I actually wanted.

What’s the going rate for a Sea Dweller these days?

If you want the James Cameron, do NOT settle for the 116660, the bracelet is simply too small / narrow, it will make the watch wobble more and it looks out of proportion. It's a few grand cheaper than the proper 126660 though, which will set you back about €18k now from a grey dealer if you have a little patience.

Like yourself I am tall and north of 100kg with bigger than average wrists too and the watch fits me perfectly, I wear it 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Anyone in the parish have a Seiko 7548? It's an 80s quartz using the mechanics of a 6139, it makes it somewhat serviceable. I'm thinking I buying one in from Japan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I had a diver one years ago. Gave it to a friend who was fecking off to Australia. Well he could swim, unlike me. 😁 He still has it running strong twenty plus years later. Damn thing was/is bulletproof.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

You know the rules!

POIDH 😀

Well wear, it is a great price with deep heritage.

But, pictures, obviously. 👍

Thanks, will do.

I haven't actually heard anything from the company sincing paying for the watch not even an acknowledgement.

Out of office from the person I had been in touch with.

All sorted now, number worked on the third attempt. They are adjusting the bracelet and hopefully posting tomorrow.

I've edited my original post now.

I bought from watchfinder.ie

• Advertisement

should be ok as others have used before with no issues.. strange they are not responding all the same

A Cameron went up for sale on adverts today from a dealer here in Ireland that several of the regular posters here have bought from (myself included). He's asking for €18k and it's the earlier model. Personally I would hold out for the newer model with better proportioned lugs and bracelet

he's also selling a speedy with strap and no bracelet for 5.5k... someone said my price was ambitious :)

Well he is a dealer, needs to put bread on the table. And you do have come back from him. A bit like second hand cars, they cost a good bit more from a garage with warranty than from a private seller (sold as seen, caveat emptor)

if you buy a watch from him and it has a problem does he provide warranty? or will it be use the oem warranty if its left?

Of course he will provide warranty. And you have come back if there is anything else wrong with the watch, if it turns out to be non genuine, etc.

That said, it is still pricey for what it is. For that sort of money, from a dealer, I would expect a 126660

Is he actually a dealer? Does he use any other platform other than adverts?

He's a dealer. I'm not aware he uses any other platform other than adverts.ie and private whatsapp groups. Several of us have bought from him though, trustworthy & nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

Hmmmmm. Not sure how much comeback you would really have.

Does he have a business name?

but agree he is a nice guy.

but how nice would he be if you identified a stolen watch in your possession 6 months later……lol

• Advertisement

He’s a nice guy but he’s not a legit trader in any way . I would trust the watches for being genuine but if it turned out as a stolen watch I doubt the refund would be quickly coming .But that’s the same with any private watch purposes .

€18k for a JC is mad and €5500 for a speedie on a strap is crazy as well. Just seen a bluesy for €20k pop on adverts from a different seller. The news of softening prices mustn’t be hitting adverts sellers yet .

Advertisement