Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a waterproof golf bag a must have?

• 10-06-2021 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

Looking for some experience here

On the look out for a new cart bag. I play in the West so rain is a common feature!

Is it worth paying a premium for a waterproof bag or is a bag cover good enough?
    Water resistant Vs waterproof?

If so, anybody have any recommendations? Seems Stadry is the internet winner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

I bought a Titleist stay dry bag, was €270 or something like that. Supposed to be the bees knees when it comes to waterproof bags.

There are 2 small pockets either side of the bag and the pockets have a lovely warm lining too.

Anyway, pockets are supposed to be for keys, phones etc to ensure they stay dry.

Pockets don’t work, anytime there is rain the inside of those pockets are always damp and it can take days for them to dry out. Useless they are

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

dazzday wrote: »
    Looking for some experience here

On the look out for a new cart bag. I play in the West so rain is a common feature!

Is it worth paying a premium for a waterproof bag or is a bag cover good enough?
    Water resistant Vs waterproof?

If so, anybody have any recommendations? Seems Stadry is the internet winner

I paid about €270 for a big aqua bag and found it much better than trying to use a cover. After 2/3 years 2 zips failed, probably due to being overloaded and I bought a druids waterproof bag for €120 and find it just as good. It had some strange sharp covers over the zips that annoyed me but I clipped them off and it’s ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,575 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I would say yes, just to keep your valuables dry and not be worrying about water getting into the bag. Keep an eye on adverts, some very good bags going second hand, I got a powacaddy tour bag in perfect condition for 70e.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Get a ziplock sandwich bag for your phone, keys, wallet and then put into pocket of golf bag. Will keep that stuff dry, sometimes the simple cheaper solution is best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Get a ziplock sandwich bag for your phone, keys, wallet and then put into pocket of golf bag. Will keep that stuff dry, sometimes the simple cheaper solution is best.

I used to do this for years until i got a waterproof bag late last year. I mainly changed my bag as the current one was too big.

They are a nice to have not a must have in my opinion, id say at most i used to have to empty my bag to dry it out, 2 or 3 times a year after a round. But saying that i don't think i would go back to a non waterproof one. always nice to have a dry towel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭coillcam

I picked up a waterproof stand bag from decathlon on sale for under €100 and it has to be one of the best purchases I've made. For me it's a must have. Had a regular bag previously and even in light rain it was just a massive pain in the hole with things getting damp. Also the missus was not impressed when I was drying it out.

With the waterproof bag I just wipe it down quickly with a towel when I get home and it's job done. Same experience with shoes. I'll never again buy a pair that aren't waterproof or at least water resistant spikeless for summer wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭finglashoop

my clubs stay in the car between rounds and waterproof is a must

nothing worse than a moaning wife cause the car smells of damp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Marinad009

Stop with the meaningless posts please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭big_drive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Would never consider a bag that is not waterproof for here. Keeping valuables dry but also just my grips etc. Think you'd be bonkers playing in Ireland without a waterproof bag :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

This sounds like you got a defective bag to be honest, have heard nothing but good things about the stay dry bags. They are the same bag that lots of brands sell with their branding, Taylor Made, Callaway and a few others have 'stay dry' bags that are the same bag with different branding.

I just ordered the Motocaddy dry series so hoping its a good one. One thing that isn't mentioned often enough about the waterproof bags is there are different types, some are water resistant rather than waterproof and I don't think any of them claim that they will survive 4 hours of heavy rain unscathed. More like shower proof I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭bmay529

I seem to be in the minority here but my experience of waterproof bags is not good. "Waterproof" zips seem weak and only last a year plus, unless treated very gently. In some bags the waterproof material tears quite easily. Regardless, if rain is heavy it will be hard to stop it getting into any bag. I have a non waterproof Titleist bag that has two waterproof pockets I find work well and have a cover I throw over the bag when rain is heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭big_drive

The cover could be the handiest and cheapest option

I've done a lot of reading up online in past few days on different forums regards waterproof bags, the common problem seems to be broken zips

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭bobster453

Of course you could always just spray any fabric bag with this.

A lot cheaper and works well

Advertisement