Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bike on train to Killarney

Options
  • 05-05-2022 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

Has anybody any recent info on how many bike spaces there are on trains from Dublin to Killarney (or Mallow to Killarney at some times)?

If all the bike spaces are taken, are you stuck? Can they be booked? Is it necessary to arrive very early?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

I haven't travelled that route but typically it's a max of two bikes per train. You have to book them with your ticket to be sure you'll be allowed board with the bike and you must use the dedicated bike rack. 20 mins early is fine look for the blue door with bike symbol on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Did it last Summer with no problems. The Cork train normally has a store room just behind the engine that can take plenty of bikes but some of the Cork trains are the normal InterCity ones with racks for 2 or possibly 4 bikes depending on the number of carriages. Mallow to Killarney will probably just have a rack for 2 bikes. Once you book the bike space well in advance and show up a bit early you should be okay but frequently others chance their arms without booking.

The racks can actually take four bikes once they are topped and tailed without projecting panniers. On a recent trip to Gorey the ticket collector was so impressed with how we fitted the four bikes, he took a photo of it to show his colleagues! That said, there are reports of other less bike friendly staff on other routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭patmahe

I went Athlone to Tullamore and back recently and there was space for two bikes on each train. However on the return journey somebody had thrown a load of suitcases into the bike rack. If I had been going further I'd have moved them, but I just stood for the journey near the door with the bike, that won't be an option for you as your journey is so long.

I'd say get there a little early and book as far in advance as you can and you should be fine especially if getting on in Dublin (1st stop). Inconsiderate fellow passengers are the biggest threat as someone said above, if they just chance their arm you are stuck, but if you have a booking that states - bike space you at least have grounds for staff to have to help you out.

I was in Amsterdam recently and it was an eye opener as to how all of this should be done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Most of the staff are grand and if you can fit it in and not block anyone they are grand but you can meet one or two who are not so nice. I've had trips where we have fitted 5 and the checker said thanks, and the morning one which is a glorified dart where there is room for 20 where they would lift your bike off at the station. Make sure you book it in advance, they will noramlly have a list of pre booked passangers with your name or booking number if there is a disagreement. In my experience if there are two already there and you have a booking, a mysterious third place appears just beside the toilet where they stow the ramp.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Just to report back. I got the direct Heuston to Tralee train on the way. 2 bike spaces but 3 people with bikes. Staff member suggested putting the third bike in the wheelchair space, which was fine.

Return leg was Killarney to Mallow on a commuter style train. So unreserved seats, just pop your bike in the space by the doors in any carriage. It was fine although I kept having to move the bike to not block the doors as the alighting platform alternates depending on the station.

Final leg, Mallow to Heuston. Easy enough, just put bike in mail car.

Better bike capacity would be great, it would not be easy with a heavy or longer bike. Also if 4 or more people showed up, which must happen.

I was travelling to a mountain bike race just outside Killarney. Taking the train was a bit of an experiment, but I enjoyed it and would do it again. Cost a little more than the diesel and tolls would have if driving. The train is faster. There was a pleasant greenway out to the race venue. Luckily it was dry so didn't have a mucky bike on the way home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement