Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ultra Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

Well done Enduro, fantastic performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Thanks everyone. I'm over the moon with that unexpected result. Some race! Race report has been started, but I lot of typing to be done...

I did sleep.... 4 x 1 hours from the 2nd to the fifth aid station. That worked extremely well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Part 4 now online.

Enjoying the read, and can't wait for the next episode to see what happens next. :)

Keith Russell has smashed through his already stellar Irish Backyard Ultra record (63 yards) and is currently in the last two remaining running at the Backyard Masters in Germany. They are within sight of breaking the world record (83 yards I think). Keith, as usual, is pacing perfectly and doesn't appear to be showing any weakness at all. Hopefully they break the world record before one of them cracks. My money is firmly on Keith here! link to results here.

That's just unbelievably impressive. Keith is a natural at this.

• Advertisement

Just to correct, I think the current world record is 85. They're still nearly there. They have now broken the European record which was 82. They've completed 83 and are currently out on 84. Both are running solidly consistent lap times on paper. Looking good for the WR

So now we have an Irishman currently as the joint world record holder. This is a big day for Irish Ultrarunning! They're still looking smooth and banging out steady lap times. Come on Keith!

Following up by reposting something I wrote earlier on FB...

So Keith Russell gets the "assist" at 89 yards/laps, and Merjin is the new world record holder with an incredible 90. The great man himself, Laz, posted some very wise words today which reflected exactly what I was thinking about this result, but with much more eloquence and detail (Laz is a great writer).

The upshot is that Most of the great Backyard winning performances have been from athletes who have previously been the assist. They were stretched to their limit and possibly learned more from reaching their limits than the winner would have.

Keith now has the Irish record, and the second-best ever in the world. But he is also even as we speak arming himself with the learnings of how to become even better. I'm confident he'll be an even more awesome athlete in his future races.

It was so exciting following it all. Considering most sports try to orient themselves to an audience with limited attention spans, it's amazing how a multi-day race pulls in such a widespread passionate following. It's great to see.

Massive congratulations to all the athletes who took part, but in particular to Merjin and Keith for smashing through the previous world record and setting a new standard for everyone else to aspire to.

At this stage, as an old-timer, it's great to see Irish ultrarunning growing and going from strength to strength. In the last year we have seen the 100km, 24 hour, Mizzen to Malin, and Backyard records all broken. And plenty of events are still to come this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ed......

I heard Keith took 3 gels every loop, said without them he'd have never gone so far and long, swears by them so he does. 267gels 😉

😁You're a baaaaad man!

Jaysus, imagine if he did though... a gel every 20 minutes. The dental bill would be astronomical!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

But it would be covered by the sponsorship money if his agent is up to scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I have a question regarding Listening to Music during a Ultra, I have done a few 50-60km without music. I also know some events dont allow it.

But planning on going further and considering listening to music to help get though the tough times and training.

What Players / Headphones do people use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

This came up a while ago though it wasn't Ultra specific: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058228503/recommended-earphones-for-running I was one of those on the threat who listens to the Aftershokz bone conducting headphones. Allows me to hear what is going on around me whilst listening to music/podcasts. In city areas, they are not great with all the traffic whizzing by. In the suburbs/trails they work very well. I can perfectly hear my surroundings and the media I'm listening to. I think the latest version has up to 10 hours though they are pricey.

I don't have a suggestion for head phones as I don't use them.

But I think getting through the tough parts without using an aid, such as music, will make things more simple. Can mean you'll also avoid the stress of forgetting your music at a race or your battery running out etc.

One less thing to worry about.

Post edited by Ed...... on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

@Ed...... Sure you’re too busy listening to those voices in your head you mad bast@rd 🤣

TbL

@ThebitterLemon

Doctor says I'm not supposed to listen to them

I'm going to be live-testing a few players soon. Will report back. All I'll say for earphones, for now, is I prefer ones with good earhooks so they absolutely stay in, even in high winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

For that kinda distance it seems like a no brainer to have your phone with you in which case the source or music could be Spotify via mobile phone and Bluetooth. In terms of earphones, aftershockz aeropex are brilliant. Can't fault them. Link to the phone via Bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Congrats @Enduro at Wisconsin 🙌

Question for y'all - was recce'ing the Kerry Way Ultra last weekend, lots of wet running. I find I get sores between my toes (at base between them) when running in wet socks for a long time. I presume a bit of vaseline in advance next time will prevent that?

• Advertisement

Yes, Vaseline or any other similar product (petroleum jelly, bodyglide, squirrel nut butter, ...) will prevent that.

I always slather my feet in tons of that stuff before an ultra, especially between the toes, the balls of the feet and the entire heel area, which is where I am most prone to blisters (basically, just about all of the foot 😀)

That's great, appreciate the tips. Never occurred to me to try that before!

Did a 90km on Saturday (recce for KWU), was awesome. Only problem was, on the last 18km, I took a gel. God knows why, I didn't need it. I think it destroyed my stomach, was fine until then. Body good, not under pressure, legs fine, but boy was my stomach tender and the entire following day. I wonder if the gel was gone off (was slightly open already).

Question is - that happens during the full ultra any tips (not preventive, I know wide and varied that is)? If I was that bad would taking a motilium help or should I just push through it and drink clear water (rather than Tailwind)?

The gel being off is unlikely - they mostly consist of sugars, which does not go off, and the rest is just in traces which is unlikely to cause issues.

My own stomach doesn't like gels, it gets upset if I take more than 2 or 3, which is why I learned not to rely on gels at all and take different stuff if needed. I'd guess you had a similar reaction. Try out different nutrition options and see what works for you. The stomach is much more sensitive during an ultra than it would be for a marathon and it's always good to have a wide variety of options rather than rely on one single source.

If it happens during the race, forget about motilium or stuff like that, taking medicine is more likely to have a negative effect on your system during a run than a positive one. Drinking water may well have helped, and sometimes it's just a matter of putting your head down and get on with things until you feel better again - everyone feels sh*t during a long race at some point, and it's the way how you deal with the lows that will define your race.

Well done on doing a 90k training run, btw. I'm impressed.

Appreciate that, thank you. I think you’re right re: gels then, I’ve never liked them and didn’t feel like I needed it. It was warm sludge, horrid.

Guess you’re right then, just head down, switch to water and ride it out if it happens again!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

But water will never do what a gel is supposed to do. Maybe try out some alternative drinks/chews/gel brands and see what you like. I don’t like them either, but necessary evil (for most of us, I think enduro is made of different stuff).

I’ve never gone beyond 50k, but I think at ultra pace you have more options than in the shorter races. Ate fruit cake once on a LR. Went down a treat!

Yeah, we can leave Enduro as an outlier. Personally I'm good not eating or drinking for approx 25km (that is, I'd finish the run then). On longer runs I'd have Salt tablets (by Salt Stick, they're lovely) and on the recce for the 200km I had Tailwind Naked's flavour. Agree with mixed foods, it's a bit of an art so I plan on having a broad range of snacks I can decide on at each point (pot noodles, Lidl's ancient grain roll, sandwiches etc etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Probably a bit early, but has anyone used or have thoughts on the Connemara Ultra training plan http://www.connemarathon.com/18-weeks/ultra.pdf ? I'll be coming off the back of DCM and will also be running Donedea in February. Just wondering how people got on with it.

FFS lads :)

Look, I have no super magic powers or abilities here. I just realised over years of experience that "traditional" nutrional advice was obviously wrong (since I was doing the opposite and, to say the least, not having any issues as a result), and eventually found more up to date scinece whch explainde much more clearly what was going on.

Anyway, the broad point is that humans don't "need" to eat on long ultra runs. We've evloved to be the best animals in the kingdom for long distance endurance. That's there to tap into if you want to. However if you want to eat then fire away. My big adivce would be to eat what you want to eat, not what someone lese tells you you should be eating. That can vary quite a bit even withini a single event though! So you've got the right idea having a good selection to hand. Same with drinking.

Gels are awful overpriced gack though. Save a ton of money and buy a bag of Jelly babies or somwthing like that instead if you really want a bag of flavoured sugar. Actually what's really good, and I'd seriously recommend to try would be figs or dates as being a cheaper far more natural alternative (Great value in Lidl!). I find figs go down particularly easily. Put a few in a small ziplock and you have your far more natural palatable Gel equivalent.

• Advertisement

Advertisement