Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy and Hector Podcast

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Idiot boy

Stopped listening a few weeks ago..i used to ĺook foreword to it.. gone a bit stale..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yeah that was a bit of a low point the horse and young girls bit.

To be fair its effectively comedy so some shows hit better than others, the two best of pods showcase it at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

You see, I don't think this is fully true. I actually think the "pod" is actually Tommy at his realist (compared to his produced image on the TT show). It's the real TT as he is at home and is some weird outlet for him. That said, I wonder why he stopped his own podcast.

Anyway, it does seem to repeat the same 3 topics.

Knockmore gaa

Tommy pretending he wants to be some wandering shaman

And Hector "Let me tell you about the time I was in..."

Funny thing is, I actually think Hector is the main force keeping the topics moving. As he has all the stories from been on the road.

Can't complain too much, it's free the odd episode I listen too though and I wouldn't miss it if they moved 100% paid either. I'd love to know how many paid subs they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I'm amazed that this podcast is the most listened to every week in Ireland. It might not be for everyone but credit to the three of them for pumping out the content every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Incredibly difficult when you think about it without guests , same 3 people week in week out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

It's not, is it? I looked up the charts and it's in the top 5 most weeks tbf but it's not number one. Joe Regan for whatever reason is normally top.

Less is more...its gone to the dogs, they need to liven it up a bit. They need guests and just do one episode a week. I agree with previous posts...Tommy's fantasy about wandering the world like a tramp...seriously just feck off and do it!! Yeah I said recently Hector was the saving grace of the show but kind of over his travel stories now. The two are arseholes to Hector though...and tbh the podcast would have gone down the toilet without him! Tiernan is a right creepy f$%ker at times, totally agree re previous comments. Laurita needs to take on a more powerful role, instead of being shocked by everything Tommy says. I'm kind of sick of the two **** on about Navan...and yip Knockmore 😴😴

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Laurita needs to get ta fcuk. At first I though she was needed as the straight-man between mental, funny, dark, cantankerous Tommy, and seanchaí Hector, with his gift for great storytelling, having the craic with Tommy, but after listening to her stupid questions and irritating ways I'm beginning to wonder what's the actual point of her on the show. I'm amazed she got this far; she must have some connections and push, because Tommy and Hector have genuine talent, but she's got none, in my opinion. I've a pain in my swiss listening to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dog_pig

There are people in this thread who consider her essential to the podcast so she must appeal to some.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

It's been a while since anyone has defended her presence, mind you the thread itself isn't getting much attention.

I thought she brought something of herself in the beginning but that's long passed. She's just a pain in the hole. Between her moaning and Tommy's kinda unsettling fixation on talking about "riding wimmin!" it's fairly unlistenable to for me.

It's a waste of Hector. I'd like to see him doing something better within a Podcast format.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Congrats to Laurita and Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭onrail

I only found out 2 weeks ago that Lairita's 'beloved' is Joe Brolly! Complete shock was an understatement.

A bit odd that he's always kept anonymous on the pod. I wonder who has instructed that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Last week they were telling stories about guys in Somalia having 10 kids and one dying on the way to a food camp. This week Ireland is overpopulated and we need to stop having kids

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Hang on what? Tommy lived in Nigeria? What? When? Why?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The podcast is gone very poor. If you listen to one of the earlier episodes and compare it with what they are dishing out now it's like night and day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I'm new enough to this podcast, the two lads are gas and have great chemistry together, I just wonder what Laurita brings to it? I can't warm to her.

Holy fúck they got shítfaced on the Christmas podcast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

The podcast from Tigh Naghtan and Garavans in Galway.

i was pure disgusted at their carry on in this podcast - they all came across as pure obnoxious.

I feel sorry for anyone else that were in these pubs on that day

Hector is really good and I love it when he goes on a long monologue.

Tommy is tedious and Laurita is painful to listen to - always whining

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MattressRick

What did they say or do to the punters in the pubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Even the ad they have out right now thanking people for all the listens ain't funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Why would anyone listen to a pri5k who apologised for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,487 ✭✭✭✭briany

THL podcast is taking a break until September, it looks like. Pity for me as it was one of the only podcasts I would be actively looking forward to. Time to go back into the archives...

I always listen but I'm a bit behind. Break coming at a good time

I don't listen to this crap anymore. What I don't like:

• Laurita is a PITA
    • Tommy is funny but gets too creepy too often; obsessed with sex
    • it's very drink-orientated: that seems to be all they do
    • it's very "country"; as a Dub I found this interesting at first, but now, nah
    • the material went downhill quickly; it's not funny to me anymore at all

There's way better stuff out there: check out Top Flight Time Machine. Now that's funny, in between the rare occasions that the two lads on it rant about their political world view (which is the opposite to mine), but I can forgive them that because the rest of it is hilarious, especially when they start doing the interpretations (Johnny Fanny Powder, Kevin Keegan, Roy Keane, etc.).

What is a PITA?

Before I start listening to Top Flight Time Machine. What are the lads political world views, and how often do they bring it up. Only so much rhetoric I can listen to before switching off.

PITA = Pain In The Ass

The TFTM lad's politics are liberal, left-wing, and PC. They don't often go on rants about their politics, but it happens now and then. It's easy to bear with it and continue listening because it's so funny: both of the lads (it's a duo) are great. It begins as a football podcast, with them discussing life and football and stuff, but evolves in many ways after a while. They have this thing of going into deep-dives of various books (Roy Keane's biographies, The Twits (Roald Dahl), Kevin Keegan's biography, Roy of the Rovers annuals), each spread over many episodes. You'd have to really give it a season or so to see if you like it or not. It's been going since 2018, with about 5 half-hour episodes each week, so there's millions of episodes by now. The best bits are when the lads do their impressions. Gas. Listening to them do Roy Keane and Kevin Keegan is very funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

"They have this thing of going into deep-dives of various books (Roy Keane's biographies, The Twits (Roald Dahl), Kevin Keegan's biography, Roy of the Rovers annuals), each spread over many episodes."

As described that sounds incredibly tedious and boring. To poo-poo the THL podcast and use that as justification for why your suggested alternative is better falls flat straight away. Reading someone else's writing and cracking wise as you go sounds easy, but to do so on the fly in during organic conversation like THL is hard in comparison

Advertisement