Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slurry now or later, Silage in June or July?

Options
  • 05-05-2022 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

I have slurry.

8 acre meadow has 6 inchs of grass.

I let 16 weanlings over one week ago to eat it before slurry.

I'm hoping I dont need silage but I might cut anyway.

Should I?

1. Keep them eating until it's down to 2/3 inches. Spread slurry end may and cut silage in July
    2. Remove them now, spread slurry and cut silage in mid June.
    3. Remove them now, don't spread slurry and cut silage in mid July.

Post edited by n1st on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If they're in there now let them bare it down tight, put out slurry or fert then. The tighter its grazed the better the silage will be. If cutting in June it will prob have headed out anyway. Given the way ration prices are likely heading it may be worth cutting it earlier to get as good as quality as you can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭minerleague

Depends on whether you have enough grass without this field until aftergrass comes back, if yes remove now, no slurry and cut mid june then spread slurry. you'll have to eat it bare if you want to spread slurry now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Good loser

The weanlings mightn't have that bared until July 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭n1st

Current status:

No slurry.

Keeping cattle in a 12 acre field and splitting with electric fence.

Let them into 8 acre meadow for 2 weeks, 3 weeks ago, they didn't make a dent in the grass.

Leaving 8 + 4 + 4 acre meadow for silage in June.

Will spread slurry after.

Grass is coming up faster than they can eat it.

Advertisement