Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭divillybit

Just wondering about how EO positions are filled? If there are a number of eo positions going would the various department managers look at the work experience of the people that passed the interview stage? Lets say there was 1 eo position going in the revenue and the person that came no.2 on the oom after interviews had financial experience and the no.1oom person had none does the vacant position have to go the person with the highest oom?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭furrybones

Candidates are placed in order of OOM. Whether there is some manipulation of numbers or not, I don't know. I would hope not.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ASGalway

@Duckylucky Thank you so much for all the information, you have been so helpful. Getting nervous now. Just need to get some examples to paper and try get that STAR approach to them, that catches me everytime. Thanks again, and well done on passing your interview. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ozzycop

This was such spot on advice. They actually asked that exact question- I ended up getting placed on the panel, and high up enough for the recruiter to say they would likely be in touch very soon!

I'm glad you found it to be a nice place to work, hoping the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

Definitely does not work like that. You are assigned to the next department that has a vacancy.

And also, there are many existing Revenue staff with little or no day to day experience dealing with tax or financial issues. Even if you were assigned to Revenue, their HR area will assign you where there is a position - so there is no guarantee at that point that you would end up dealing with taxation issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fionnr01

Up to 69 at stage 3vinterviews they said.. So maybe they've interviewed 69.... They would not say how many in a batch... So if its 100 its moving at a good pace... but it could be 69 in a batch for all we know...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mature cheese

just started in the civil service but just wondering if I apply for the new EO campaign do I select one or both streams?

Post edited by mature cheese on

You are most certainly counted as staff, however, you need to have 2 years CS experience before you can apply for the interdepartmental stream.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dub_Matt

Hi Folks,

not sure if this has been asked yet but can't seem to find it, anyway just wondering how long it took for PAS to let you know if you placed?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Onthefence

Hi all,

I'm in the process of applying for the 2022 EO campaign, but have a question that maybe someone here can answer for me.

I'm a teacher with a few years experience behind me. Would anyone know if I would start on the first point of the EO salary scale or if there would be potential for negotiation?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭MiggyB

Point 1 they dont negotiate!

Thanks for your reply.

I was hoping that going from public service to civil service would count for something!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 D321

I was OOM 59 Batch 5.1 after interview, and was assigned to the Department Foreign Affairs this morning. I was an existing CO in DFA, so didn't have to go through Garda clearance. Best of luck to everyone in their interviews!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 GailliamhAbú2022

Anyone heard of anyone being called for interview in Galway or being placed since last batch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jassgal

Hey I sent back all my clearance documents and references on Friday morning to PAS but havent heard anything since. How long has it took you guys to hear back? They haven't contacted my references yet and I don't need Garda vetting as I'm currently a CO. I was OOM 20s in batch 5.1

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jassgal

Hi congratulations that's great news! Would you mind me asking if you put in a request to stay in your current dept? I've requested to stay in mine and so did my management but they told me they have to just place me in what ever dept is looking at the time so it's not looking likely for me

• Registered Users Posts: 10 D321

Thanks! I think if your department request you and you let PAS know that you'd like to stay in your current department, the likelihood of you being able to stay is very high. However, I think there is never a guarantee. Hoping you get to stay and best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 aislingm999

Hi everyone, just an update, I submitted my documents-qualifications etc. on Monday just gone and today I received a message on Public Jobs today, that I was being assigned to Revenue (More than likely wont take it now though as I already got an EO position last week through an internal competition in Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 thereyouarenow

Congratulations :) What county is this for please?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 aislingm999

@thereyouarenow Thanks! It's for Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 JMT09

Hi there, just wondering if anyone knows if they have a hard timeline as to when you commence the position if offered and accepted? My notice is one-month plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Pamelabeasley

i gave 6 weeks notice to my previous job and also took an extra week off before I started and they were fine about it, they wanted to get me in as soon as possible (2 weeks after offer) but they understood the circumstances and were very accommodating!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JMT09

That's great, thanks 🙌

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Kiwi5449

Reply to post from Onthefence - I joined the civil service in 2019 and retained my salary from the public service role I held which was a semi state organisation funded by two government departments. At the time circular 21/2004 was used and I think if you read that along with circular 08/2019 you will know if your teaching service will count, I wouldn’t agree with the comment that they don’t negotiate especially where prior public service is there. Best of luck.

Thank you very much. I had a look at those circulars alright and they gave me some hope.

My partner joined local government a few years back from the private sector and was awarded incremental credit up to LS1 so I think negotiation is definitely possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭divillybit

Would a new entrant into the civil service have a reasonable argument for incremental credit if they had a level 9 qualification? I think a level 6 is the minimum required for this EO competition? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Simple answer is no. You start on the first increment regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 elzie981

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice.

Basically I have been promoted to executive officer from a clerical position.

My new dept wants me to start in 2 weeks however my current department want to delay it.

They are being very awkward about the whole thing and keep talking about delaying it .

I would rather go to new dept as I feel the sooner I get on the scale the better for me.

Can anyone tell me what is the correct period of notice that I must give?

Thanks for any helpful advice!

Minimum level 7 for EO, and you start on point one of the scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 ASGalway

@Dublintigger How did it go? Hope it went well. I have mine thursday. Any stickler questions jump out at you? or is it just 2 samples of each competency sorta? best of luck with the results

Advertisement