Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2020 Recruitment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Newyearnewjob

So according to the stats, 18 have started training since Feb and a further 32 have dropped out/failed. That's pretty low numbers even if they are just recruiting to maintain numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Boneyard2002

There we have it. The good oul dupers not nominating anyone. So goodluck to getting the finances for us to get into Gv..

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Narwahls

Hi,

I'm currently in the 2021 campaign and wondering if anyone who has been through the medical process would be able to advise on an issue?

I've had a lateral menisectomy (minor knee surgery) nearly 5 years ago with no real issue, I'm phsycially active, running, weights. For similar injuries do you have to provide additional information during the medical such as a letter from the surgeon or do the medical staff at the assessment test you in some way?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭lornzeo99

@Narwahls I didn’t, I had a neck injury in 2017, I couldn’t find any of my consultant notes, was just asked at medical would I be able to wear the uniform all day as it’s heavy, if they had concerns they might ask for more info from doctor, just bring what you have to appointment, you send your medical notes to your GP anyway and they are asked if you are capable

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Narwahls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 n_3

Anyone reckon calls for an August intake could go out soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Hypomnesia

Was looking some advice from the 2020 campaigners about the PCA. Overall how did you find it and how did you feel by the end of it? Was it harder than you thought or easier? I've only seen the familiarisation video on Youtube and I don't want to go by that as it makes it look really easy.

I found it easy enough. I just went full pelt and completed it in around 3 minutes. Although I am very active anyway. Best advice would be to go to familiarisation session as you’ll get a chance to try the different obstacles and see the sections people usually struggle on. You need a decent level of cardiovascular fitness for it but it’s not overly difficult in my opinion!

@Hypomnesia I personally totally underestimated the course, I failed the first time by 4 seconds, I would say I’m fit, run 3 times a week at least a 5k and do CrossFit twice a week and walk miles everyday. I went far to slow, I attended the practice sessions after (we were all girls repeating) ended up doing it sooner than my given date and completed it in 3.26…the course is designed to tire you out. @n_3 they usually do calls around the 15th, haven’t heard of any today

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Hypomnesia

Thanks guys, I'll change up my training routine a bit to be safe. Cardio isn't something I solely focus on too much, I do weight circuit training and EMOM at the moment. Will add some running to the program to keep the heart rate high. Think the hardest bit for me will be keeping a good pace with no clock to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Unknown117

Adding to this, complete random question that no one will be interested in but anyway, I wear a WHOOP fitness tracker if anyones familiar will these be allowed for PCA and then further into GV does anyone know? my life and soul using that thing so wondering if anyones any idea regarding that? thanks i’m advance!

You can’t use that during the PCA. They say it’s supposed to be a maximal effort simulating a chase so ya can’t time yourself. Not sure about GV though.

You aren’t allowed to wear any watches or trackers in the PCA or time yourself with anything. Sprints are good, there is advice on what exercises to do to help train for it on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭NeeNaw21

For the PCA all you would really have to do is a few sprints, some jogging, press ups and sit ups.

Nothing fancy

Did nobody get a call then?

unfortunately not fs

This is just ridiculous now, losing the will to live here!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Newyearnewjob

Didnt expect a call this month, maybe next month for a larger intake. As usual, good of the PSNI to keep us up to date. Gradually losing the will to join the organisation!.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭georgie1305

Is it always the same date each month that they call?

When a budget becomes available, they may even double recruitment. Who knows 🤷‍♂️

@georgie1305 its usually the 15th, that was a Sunday this month but they have done calls on the Monday. Did I read they normally don’t do a July intake or is it August? Soul destroying at this point, 2 and a half years of this process and let’s face it the budget won’t be sorted anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DDGS7

There's no "usual" dates for calls, they call if and when courses are approved, I got mine on like the 21st or 22nd of the month, same with times, it's just whatever time of the day

@DDGS7 ah did not realise this. Maybe we have hope yet! Have you started?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DDGS7

No not yet, it's finally on the horizon though

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Byc_moze

I send them email and got response. They said with my merit position (700-750) they do not expect me to start before Winter 22/23. So I don't even wait for a phone call now 🤷‍♀️ it will be 3 years from start to the end IF I get a start date for Winter 23...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Flash_93

Is that with out the extra finance from Budget? Hopefully in the coming weeks stormount is back up and functioning and extra funds are allocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭crazyfire999

For all those waiting? When did you apply? What year was it? 2020? When did you get word that you were ready for an appointment?

They mentioned, that they are still waiting for confirmation of final budget so is hard to tell accurate dates but for now I am not going to hear anything prior Winter 🤷‍♀️

I applied Feb 2020,I am appointable from January, so winter 22/23 will take me to 3 years waiting time...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 avjjken

Just to give people some idea, I was appointable for a staff role from November 21. In January I was told Winter 22/23 courses would be commencing. I’m now onto week 3 of training of the second course with a 3rd starting later in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭NeeNaw21

They email when you are appointable.

Civilian staff recruitment has zero relevance to police officer recruitment.

Post edited by NeeNaw21 on

Advertisement