Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Just bugs / missing functionality reports - no griping

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,035 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The forum list menu when moving a thread has a display issue. In the Networking and Broadband section, the Open Source forum appears as a sub forum of it, which it isn't, and then lists the actual sub forums, broadband etc, as subforums of Open Source.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

The “Best of” link at the bottom of

the page. I’m sure it used to give a list of threads it recommended. Now there is nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

This ‘jumping’ is ridiculous at this stage.

I was typing a post a few minutes ago and it jumped at least three times while I was typing. I ended up on Twitter twice as it moved me to an embedded tweet further up the page which I inadvertently clicked on as I was typing my message.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

This jumping is wrecking my head, how did Boards.ie make such a complete **** up of this site?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Get a Oneplus 6 and run it on Android 11. That's what I have and I never had any issues with jumping. I remember reading this thread and wondering what everyone was on about. It has also been found out that the issue is with iphones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Thanks, but I’m not buying a new phone just to use boards, if they can’t provide a site that can be used on iPhones, the site developers need a kick in the arse.

Have you tried other browsers on iPhone? I'm on Android and don't really have these issues. Some bouncing but not egregious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Deub

And refreshing the page is not a solution as it automatically moves you the first post on the next page.

Is this a new one - comment on Nature forum, doesn't show up on latest posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

A little out of date from 2016, but demonstrates that there have been known issues re scroll bouncing on iOS. Boards owner doesn’t seem to be that interested in investing in trying to fix it.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've had this on desktop - posted in the Aviation/Aircraft forum, and for some reason that forum doesn't show on the main page.

It does, however, appear on the "Discussions" page, which appears to be a more complete listing of threads (as pointed out by a few very helpful posters - how you're supposed to find that out by yourself I do not know)

Why the difference, and why the main page that is under the main header/banner of the whole forum doesn't contain the full listing of threads/forums, is completely beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

I see for some people clock is behind, some not.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

Just for info.

I use an iPhone and safari and have zero jumping. Maybe cause I use adblock plus?

For those who are afflicted with it, they might try that solution..

Please, please, PLEASE can you fix the text box for reporting posts?

You have to type completely blind, and if you make a mistake it's nigh on impossible to locate the cursor to correct it.

It drives me completely nuts.

Unless, of course, you don't want people reporting dodgy posts?? Nothing would surprise me any more.....

It just gets worse. Two handshake failures in the last 10 minutes crashing pages while simply writing a message.

Errors like that should be handled properly by Vanilla

• Registered Users Posts: 81,537 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I’ve been having an issue for weeks+ browsing boards via iOS safari. Depending on where you load into a page from (eg. Post 3 of 40 say is your latest unread post) well every 30-60 seconds, the web ad on the page changes. This triggers some kind of refresh that puts you smack back on that 3rd post. Trying to read the next 37 posts on the page might take you 5, 10, or 15 attempts to scroll down to the post you were reading when the advertisement flipped to eventually read it all. Closing the ads doesn’t improve the experience. I don’t know of a workaround other than to not browse boards on iOS which doesn’t seem like the intention.

Install an ad blocker. I don't use an iphone, but from posts I've seen that seems to correct the issue.

I held out for a long time on mobile, appreciating that ad revenue is what's keeping the lights on - but even I caved eventually. The sheer number of ads, the types of ads, and the disfunctionality they impose on the site tipped me over the edge.

Management seem to be their own worst enemies in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭colly10

Would prefer not to try an adblocker but using safari on IOS and having the page regularly jumping makes reading threads very difficult.

Is there any plans to fix it? I haven’t seen mention of a planned fix but haven’t read through much of the thread for obvious reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭rodge123

It’s been reported over a month ago at this stage and seems to have gone into a black hole. Do they even have a developer to fix bugs? Surely this would be a very high priority, it’s extremely bad UX affecting potentiallly a lot of users I’d imagine.

There isn't a dedicated developer as far as I know. My understanding is that changes have to accepted by the Vanilla Team anyway and then applied to the Vanilla system which powers all of the sites they manage. That's why they can't just change the time zone. If Canada and their main customers don't have day light savings, then they can't change it for everyone.

I would imagine the Vanilla success stories are websites running the software themselves instead of paying for the service. It's free to take this approach and you instead need a developer and pay for server costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,870 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I keep getting this shíte lately when I go to Boards.

"Preview" at the top and the Boards logo sitting halfway down the page. I have to refresh to get it to go live and then it usually plonks me somewhere in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,829 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Doesn't add up. Most of Canada has DST. And by that logic all sites they host would have to use the same time zone.

Life ain't always empty.

Right well that's just ridiculous. But I do know it's hosted and run by the people in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

boards.ie is hosted by vanilla, as are many others. that doesn't mean they all have the same time settings. that would be nonsense. there is also nothing stopping fixes specific to boards.ie being implemented. This has already happened.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

This happened again, just a few minutes ago:

Google Chrome on Mac. Floating black box stuck on the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 81,537 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

an adblocker is not a feature/plugin im able to access on safari.

On mobile, I'm almost certain Safari has extensions and one of them is an ad blocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Not a technical bug, but a bug nonetheless - on mobile, clicking x on certain ads, particularly gambling ads, for them to reappear again and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Using android and browsing forums is nigh on impossible with the bouncing. Even when you think its stopped and start to scroll it starts jumping and in some cases posts appear blank and need to load eapecially those with links or embedded tweets

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement