Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beer recommendation for someone trying to develop a taste for beer (moving away from cider)

• 11-05-2022 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I'm not much of a drinker but when I drink, it's cider. I'm trying to move away from cider as its too much sugar over the course of a night and I drink it like water when I do drink which isn't ideal

I've never really developed a taste for beer (never liked the taste) but would like to give it another go. Any suggestions for something light/sweet/flavoured? Preferably wheat free if possible. Don't really care if its IPA, larger, beer etc

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Where do you tend to buy your beer/cider? Pub, supermarket, off licence chain?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well, what's available where you regularly drink? There isn't much use recommending something you can never get.

For home drinking, Lidl/Supervalu/Tesco/others (and some pubs) sell Rye River Lil' Banging / McGargles Darraghs Session IPA (these are the same product, they are mid a branding replacement) which is a fairly light but flavourful 3.8% IPA.

There are sweeter lagers, from memory Estrella which is quite available in shops these days is one but its been a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'll be heading out Saturday so will get a couple of bottles from the local off licence first. They look to have a huge selection of beers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Based on your asking for something light / sweet flavoured I would be tempted to just try a few different lagers as a jumping off point. Get them really, really cold, and attempt to drink them "like water" as you do with you cider.

I'm a big fan of hoppier beers but if you've been drinking sweet ciders I just see the flavour profiles as too different. If you did like dry ciders could could try a very dry IPA and see what you thought, but if you want to train yourself on beers then lagers drank cold might be the most accessible option?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I started on cider when I was younger and when I switched to beer it was the fairly bland stuff like Miller at first, as said above drink it as cold as possible. I pretty much only drink Guinness in the pub these days and for bottled beer at home I'd go for one of the Munich Helles lagers like Spaten. Spaten could be an option as it's quite light tasting but it's strong enough at 5.2% too, if you drink these like water you will end up absolutely smashed. I still don't like hoppy beers like IPA and I'm pushing 40 at this stage, don't think I ever will.

• Advertisement

White Hag's Little Fawn is a great go-to session IPA, nicely tropical tasting, and tends to be anywhere that has a decent beer selection. The Porterhouse has a Chocolate Truffle Stout around at the moment which is fun. Both are cans rather than bottles -- most beers are these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

+1 for Spaten.

I am out foreign. I have lost count of the amount of "non beer drinkers" who land out for a visit and look for cider (thinking its an international drink because they also have it in England) which isnt available , baulk at the price of spirits, and then hesitently try some Helles style beer and are stunned that its actually drinkable.

In Ireland Spaten is often at a reasonable enough price and because its part of the Stella/ Budweiser group widely available. If they have that in a shop they'll often have franziskaner weissbier (wheat beer, cloudy, actually somewhat fruity and quite sweet) from the same brewery, and if they have that then you may see Paulaner weissbier too which is available thanks to a tie up with Heineken group. All those should be pretty accessable to a cider drinker.

Another one thats widely available is Staropramen from Prague. Its not a helles but still fairly balanced. Also from Czech is Pilsner Urquell....... and that is a damn hoppy/ bitter beer and one to avoid (if thats what you are not into).

Thanks for all the replies lads, much appreciated. Will have a look out for what ye recommended so far

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Corona with the usual slice of lime might be a good choice too.

That and Heineken were only the ever 2 beers I'd have some bit of a taste for. I'd tolerate them more than enjoy it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

May I suggest you get whatever you like each week or whenever you buy beer and then buy one can of something unknown or out of your comfort zone. Maybe buy a couple of different ones but don't go mad.

Drink as usual but set aside a time for trying out your new beer. Google it and see what its all about then drink it to see if you like it and also to judge it against the criteria that you have found online.

I'm part of a beer club that has tasted something in the region of 250 different brews in the last 3 years. Some I'd drink all day others I'd drink and think of as good or bad examples of what they are supposed to be. You don't have to drink many and give them an appraisal to start to develop your own particular style favourites. Knowing that little bit more can help inform buying beer you enjoy drinking. I can happily drink a beer that I'm not that keen on but its still a good experience as part of learning more about beer. Turns out I'm quite boring and go for a dry hopped IPA almost every time.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Former 'only cider' drinker here.

Wasn't until a visit to Belgium that I developed at taste for any beers. Started with the wheat beers and moved on to the darks and a few others. Got into them more and more. Now I love the hoppy beers.

My suggestion for you is t try to find a juicy IPA and then a hazy IPA. Last time I was in Dublin I didn't see any (pre-covid) but they are all the rage here in Canada.

WHAT IS A JUICY IPA?

When we’re talking about beer, the term "Juicy" refers to the aroma and taste of the beer being reminiscent of fruit juice, typically citrus or stone fruit. These flavors and aromas can be affected by things like yeast esters, but a juicy IPA is all about the juicy hops!

WHAT IS A HAZY IPA?

Hazy IPAs, also known as New England IPA (NEIPA), East Coast IPA, or unfiltered IPA are a specific type of juicy IPA. They tend to be less bitter than traditional IPAs with tropical and citrusy flavors, and often land higher on the ABV (Alcohol by Volume) scale. They also tend to have a creamier mouthfeel and are a bit sweeter.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Oh, they're bloody everywhere here now too!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Don't get me started!

Never occurred to me that juicy and hazy were different categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Little fawn by white hag, Ambush by trouble brewing and Rambler by Porterhouse are 3 of the easiest drinking beers I know, Should be available in most supermarkets.

Sours might be a nice in between drink, and i've seen a few cider drinkers get a taste for them, the puca series by white hag being a go to one.

Someone mentioned corona, Honestly if you get a taste for it you can guarantee that no matter where you go in the world, it'll be available and it'll taste the same.

"Categories" implies that there are some predetermined rules or definintions being followed, whereas "juicy" and "hazy" are just words breweries print on cans, which may or may not have something to do with the contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

Hoogaarden - Belgian Wit might be an option for the OP - sometimes fruited versions are available.

My only real problem is when they don't put these words on the cans but put juicy/hazy stuff in the cans😫

Never noticed that. We do research (or at least look up a few detials online) of all the beers we try in our beer club but I don't think we've ever had a juicy/hazy IPA where it hasn't been promenatly flagged on the can. For example you could hardly mistake this one as being both juicy and hazy.

That said while the can or bottle may tell you its juicy or hazy the names don't always give it away.

Hoegaarden can be a bit 'soapy' for newcomers. If going down the Belgian wit route, Blue moon is much more palatable for newbies. White Rabbit by Kinnegar is similar, though not strictly a Belgian Wit, iirc.

I'm a big fan of Citra pale ales, as they're nowhere near as bitter as most IPAs and don't leave you feeling thirsty after some (like you've drank too much cranberry juice or something). Same with the Hazy beers, usually they're that bit more fruity and refreshing.

Weights and measures by Galway bay is dynamite.

As is Hazy Jane and Rascals Yankee.

I think Lidl had a small orange can that was tangerine flavoured or something like that. It's lovely and they also do an American Pale Ale that goes down well with my non-beer mates.

• Advertisement

It's actually really common now. Ever have a Whiplash beer? Also, they keep coming up with new terms to describe hazy IPAs - like Mountain IPA or Cold IPA. It's getting ridiculous.

I now avoid any new IPA that isn't specifically labelled as West Coast or old school or similar.

I don't accept that I should have to look up a beer online, to have a basic idea of its style.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

• Registered Users Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Franziskaner or Patronus Weissbier from lidl are lovely. I'm a Guinness drinker normally but find these two very easy to drink and I get minimal hangovers from them. Around €2 for a 500ml bottle, well worth trying. Same goes for the likes of Paulaner or Hoegaarden but they are a little more expensive. I can't deal with shyte like bud, Miller, Heineken etc but love the weissbiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Rockshore easy to drink.

By any reasonable metric, Desperados isn't really beer. It's more of an alcopop!

Although considering what sweetened, flavoured messes are considered beer nowadays, perhaps I should go easier on Desperados.!

Got a bottle of White Deer - Stag IPA. Not bad at all, there's a slight fruity taste to it without it being sweet. Pleasantly surprised by it

There's hope for you yet. That one is marketed as being gluten free so it might not have all the punch of a traditional IPA - don't know not tried it?

If you stick with IPA's there are 100's to choose from. Try some of the more extreme IPA's to see if you like them Pliny the Elder would be one that comes to mind https://www.russianriverbrewing.com/pliny-the-elder/ If you probably have a taste for beer.

All 9 white deer beers are gluten free.

It doesn't appear to affect the mouthfeel or flavour, at all. You wouldn't know they are gf unless you were told. The wonders of modern technology!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Correction desperados is beer from the Heineken stable... google it... i do not like it but its beer...

• Advertisement

Had a pint of Moretti, really tasty and smooth . Easily the nicest beer I've had

Advertisement