Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

St Annes Park capacity?

• 10-12-2019 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭

How many does it hold for a concert like Duran Duran?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

okidoki987 wrote: »

close to a million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Guess I'll be closer to the stage with Ricosruffnecks offer ;)
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Hard to find definite capacity, but this indicates it is 12k:

https://www.loveclontarf.ie/news/kodaline-concert-st-annes-park-info/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

Yeah I'd reckon about 12,000 was at Kodaline. Fantastic venue. Plenty of space. Long walk into the site from the park gates but very good venue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭deeks

Any nearby hotels apart from Clontarf Castle that might be handy for this?

Driving or walking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Driving or walking?

Sorry to hijack deeks - I too am looking for recommendations for hotels, within walking distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭whomenonotme

RubyK wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack deeks - I too am looking for recommendations for hotels, within walking distance.

Only Clontarf Castle within walking distance, there are B&Bs though (e.g. quick search gives https://ireland-bnb.com/dublin-bed-breakfasts-clontarf.html)

Marine Hotel at Sutton Cross and Hilton Dublin Airport on Malahide Road are 10 minutes drive away.

130 bus service is decent enough to get back into the city centre from Clontarf (Mount Prospect Ave side of the park), every 25 mins I think after 8pm. Or buses from Howth Road.

Yeah B&B or Airbnb would be the way forward.
    Would imagine there will be big demand for accomodation as the 3 gigs on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,759 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

got a ticket to duran duran for june but after watching a few recent gig footage on youtube im meh about it now

Lot of dad dancing on stage/prob on the field itself and a field full of drunken middle aged women

it will be a laugh by drink will be needed i imagine ha

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

PTH2009 wrote: »
    got a ticket to duran duran for june but after watching a few recent gig footage on youtube im meh about it now

Lot of dad dancing on stage/prob on the field itself and a field full of drunken middle aged women

it will be a laugh by drink will be needed i imagine ha

you bought a ticket, then did your research by YouTube?

Duran Duran were a band of the early 80's, that is close to 40 years ago, you are going to get Grandad dancing - enjoy, I know I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭hynesie08

you bought a ticket, then did your research by YouTube?

Duran Duran were a band of the early 80's, that is close to 40 years ago, you are going to get Grandad dancing - enjoy, I know I will.

Yeah, he doesn't actually like gigs, just obsessed with ticking off some weird bucket list to say he saw them....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,759 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Yeah, he doesn't actually like gigs, just obsessed with ticking off some weird bucket list to say he saw them....

Yeah I dont like gigs at all, I use my time and what money I have to tick off a bucket list

I'll enjoy the gig no matter what

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭fafy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Yeah I dont like gigs at all, I use my time and what money I have to tick off a bucket list

I'll enjoy the gig no matter what

Saw them at the Marquee a while back, and i suspect they may play the Marquee again this year as dates coincide, an enjoyable gig, a nostalgia trip, but enjoyable all the same, once was enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Assuming this gig is the one finally happening next month? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Where is the best place to go in the park to hear the concert for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Park was completely closed off & surrounding roads were residents only for the last gigs a few years ago - couldn't even walk the dog down Sybil Hill to cut into Furry Park

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

They're fairly heavily stewarded with Garda back up from what I can remember of the last gigs. The whole park is secured and hanging around the surrounding streets isn't tolerated I'm afraid.

Thanks, presume same applies to the entrances on the Howth Road, Watermill Road etc? Out of curiosity, where exactly is the stage? At the end of the main avenue (opposite end to the main gates)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The stage is offset to the left of the plateau where the house used to be. So if you're walking on the main avenue from Sybill hill it's to the left at the end after the clock tower. That whole area is for the crowd with food facilities on the Clontarf side. Each entrance is fenced off with people corralled in & out of the venue.

Plenty of prep, engineers, set up crews, sweepers etc.. days before the gigs, so you'd want to be up a tree with lots of cereal bars, water & plastic poop bags a couple of weeks in advance if you're set for free gig!!

Cheers @John_Rambo , don’t worry, I have a new plan. Tunnelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Bravo, Sam. Admirable commitment. Keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Someone took pity on me and got me a ticket. 🥳

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Is it easy to get back to Dublin, how long does it take?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭newirishman

You can walk to GPO in 1h 15min. But apparently MCD did some work with Irish Rail and Dublin bus, so hopefully Darts aplenty and some buses to get back into town after the concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Okay but in terms of making bus in city to head back down the country could be a non runner shall we say?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Raheny and Harmonstown would be your DART stations. About 15-20 minutes walking to each I think. 15 minutes into town then.

• Advertisement

You might actually be closer to Raheny DART depending on the available exits.

Ignore I read that as Killester and Harmonstown and can’t delete this post.

Advertisement