Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Public Service Broadcasting - Olympia 16th May

• 26-04-2022 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Anyone else heading to this? Unfortunate that it's a Monday night, but can't wait. They were my highlight of EP 2017 (albeit in lashing rain).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I'm going. Their show in the Academy in January 2018 is one of my all-time favourite gigs.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Ah, a majestic memory. Epic stuff. Really getting into the latest offering now, can't wait to see them live again. Saw a pic somewhere of their stage set up, looks great.

This is what I saw, actually, I'm not sure if it's this tour? Looks cool though. Like I say, really looking forward to it.

Edit: it's mining, isn't it? I've got it wrong again. As you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

Ha, also one of my EP2017 highlights, seen them in the Olympia since and will also be there on 16th...

I'm not mad on the newish album, its good but nowhere near the previous stuff which is possibly too good in a fked up sort of way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Looks like coal mining alright!😊 They don't start this tour until 5th May, so they'll be well fresh for us!

• Advertisement

I've been trying to get into the new album, a couple of decent tunes in there, but need a few more run throughs. Their tour that ended in December was very 'Bright Magic' heavy according to setlist.fm (obviously, being the 'Bright Magic Tour'). Still hoping they'll pull out a good few of the hits.

First Gig of this tour tonight in Wrexham as part of the 'Focus Wales Festival'. Be interesting to see what their set list is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭fafy

Only got into them in recent months, “Every Valley” is just amazing as a concept album, and going through the other albums.

I am supposed to be going to Lindsey Buckingham the night of May 17th, but it’s possible it will be cancelled as he cancelled some of his US gigs re covid in the touring group, if it does, will definitely catch PSB,in the relatively intimate Cyprus Avenue on 17th.

Nothing on Setlist for the Wrexham gig. Anyone have any idea what they're playing besides Bright Magic?

Post edited by Stillill42 on

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭spindex

I seen a picture of the word "go" on the background screen so I'm presuming they played that, no idea of what else was played, iv being checking setlist.fm too.

• Advertisement

They played 'The Other Side' and 'Go' one after another in Wrexham (saw it on youtube), so this would follow the pattern of their end of 2021 sets.

I'd say it'll be close enough to this - https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/public-service-broadcasting/2021/helios-37-cologne-germany-b8b7d22.html

The only caveat is that someone mentioned 'They Gave Me A Lamp' being played at Wrexham, which wouldn't have been on their recent set lists. They may have just gone a little more 'Every Valley' heavy for the location?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Looking forward to seeing them in Cyprus Avenue next week. I also think the Academy gig in 2018 was one of the best ever!

Wrexham setlist up now - https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/public-service-broadcasting/2022/llwyn-isaf-wrexham-wales-7bb796e0.html

Appears light on a few songs, possibly due to time constraints at the festival.

A bit light alright but lot's of goodies there. Roll on Monday.

Just watched that video for 'the other side'. Magnificent stuff. Appropriate that it was filmed in the pissings of rain, exactly as I remember them from Stradbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Heading to Cypress Avenue Tuesday night to see them.

Looking forward to it now.

I would love if they played "Lit Up". the live version from Live at Brixton is one my favourites

Was listening to 'The Other Side' (among other PSB tunes) on the way to work this morning myself, chills down the spine every time!

My abiding memory of the Stradbally gig was turning and grabbing the Welsh randomer behind me, each time there was a song from Every Valley. We were the best of friends by the end (I think...I may have had a few sherries).

Great idea to have a Welshman beside you. Must see if I can source one for Monday.

Anyone in attendance at Limelight last night? Listened to a lot of Bright Magic over the weekend, it's really grown on me and can't wait to hear some of the tunes live later!

• Advertisement

Set list from last night below for anyone interested. They seem to be sticking to the same structure and changing one song in the middle each gig. Last night it was Night Mail (previously EVA, Theme from PSB, Korolev...). Hoping for Theme from PSB myself!

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/public-service-broadcasting/2022/limelight-1-belfast-northern-ireland-4bb7233a.html

Still a few tickets left for Olympia tonight and Cyprus Avenue tomorrow night:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/163666060593

That was truly spectacular. What a gig! What an atmosphere! 'All out' my favourite tonight but could have been 6 or 7 others. Absolutely loved it. These boys are geniuses.

Good to hear, looking forward to seeing them tonight

Ah, enjoy it buddy. I'd go again if I could. Love their albums but they just transform those songs live. Took the roof off with Go! to finish the set and I wondered what the point of an encore was but they did the most joyful rendition of Gagarin you could imagine, complete with dancing brass section, finished off with a beautiful 'Everest'. You'll have a blast.

Unreal gig, so many highlights! Possibly Go my favourite, but All Out a close second. The brass lads were gas, looked like they were having so much craic.

my only gripe was the constant chatter where we were standing, really noticeable during the quieter songs. Small thing though, great time had.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

The chatter was atrocious where I was standing .... I really fcuking despise inconsiderate arseholes who chat like they're in a pub or beer garden when at a gig. No respect for the artist or audience.

Unreal gig, yes, noticed chatter, but kept on the gig at hand. I knew they would be good but this was astonishingly good, sound was outstanding, lighting was in another realm, 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Absolutely cracking gig last night...they just get better and better! I really noticed the chatter during the more ambient tunes, even though I was close to the front. I also agree, why go to a gig and pay €30+ to get in only to stand around chatting all night. You may as well go to the pub. It's disrespectful to the artists and annoying for the rest of the audience. Yer man who roared "Shut up" during the quieter bit had me in stitches!

• Advertisement
Advertisement