Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google home or smart life connected to solar

• 13-05-2022 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

If you have solar can you connect it to google home or smart life for automation.

The thing i am getting at is can you do things like.

If the battery is fully charged then switch on the sockets for the dehumidifiers.

If energy is going to the grid switch on a light :)

Or if it is sunny and you are generating 4kw then switch on the heater in the bedroom. That sort of stuff.

All of these are currently smarted up attached to google home and smart life. I dont want to have to get new sockets etc if i can help it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭THE ALM

I would imagine you will be looking at something like home assistant to do this. This is how I have it running with several smart sockets, home assistant and the node-red addon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Thanks, I guessed i might have to go that route. Do you have any links to any tutorials on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Easiest way of getting started is running it on a rpi and going from there.

JuanMTech and DrZzs and two good channels on youtube to check out.

Once you have it up and running you will find a lot of integrations are already available and it is a simple task to install them, if you run it on the same network as other compatible home automation stuff it will discover these on the boot up and have the integrations ready for install.

I use TP-Link sockets and some shelly relays and have these switching on and off depending on excess solar.

Home Assistant has it owns automations that you can set up but I find Node-Red gives greater flexibility, you can install node-red within home assistant.

It is a rabbit hole that you can quickly fall down.

Loads of stuff on youtube and the forum is very helpful.

Anything else let us know.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Node Red is good and you can start easily on a pc/laptop ( but obvs needs to be on to work!)

It has a huge library of "nodes" that you can add to do various things. Its base language is javascript

Its based on "messages" (eg msg.payload) that is passed from one node to another and you can do whatever you want in the function nodes. It can be anything from a simple string to an object.

You will need to know the consumption of the device you are powering. when you turn it on the excess will stop!

Advertisement