Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Champions Cup 2023

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Shyte! They're sticking with the same format.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

With 4 group games, it has to be the same as this season. Good to see that there's a gap between the quarters and semis next season and that it's back to 3 weeks between the semis and the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,625 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Wonder why they're dropping the 2 legs? Was skeptical of it but think it worked out OK this season

Probably because running off the quarters, semis and final over the course of 3 weeks was absolutely ridiculous. Reducing the last 16 to one leg gives them room to space them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

And just like that the English/French get their wish of reducing number of games. Down to 8 match weeks from the long standing 9.

• Advertisement

Also is London not hosting final anymore? No mention of it as location as far as I could see

It was due to be 8 games last season too with a two legged quarter finals. This got changed to 6 games, with the quarters changed to a one leg last 16 and quarter final due to Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭phog

I get why they're dropping the two legged "Last 16" but f you don't get a home match then you lose out on one match ticket sales. The H/Cup/ERC games have been high earners for the Irish provinces, that could be a big loss if you lose that one game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I think the second round of 16 was for the broadcasters. They wanted 6 weekends of a minimum of 8 matches.

It made no sense. Why was the rewards for Quins (topped their group) nothing more than an equal chance in a knockout game against Montpellier. Ultimately some of the teams in the round of 16 don't deserve an equal chance! It makes more sense to have the double legs in the Semi final. All of those teams arguably deserve an equal chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 chief_sim

I think there is a (slightly) shorter season in place because it's a World Cup year.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't think that's part of it.

English and French want fewer euro games, permanently.

The Irish provinces are going to have to reduce their reliance on european games to generate interest and money and instead look to improve earnings through an improved and better promoted league product.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Was there not talk of an italian final?

I wonder how long before a SA final is on the cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Having 16 teams in KO phase is again a poor decision. You could win just 1 of your pool games and still qualify. Reduces importance of pool games and quality of first KO phase.

Don't remember anything about about Italian final. Not that either team would ever make it to a final but not sure giving it to them when they've no teams in the competition would make much sense. Less still when London had already been announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

way too long a wait for an italian final, remember they were meant to have it before the original restructuring to the champions cup. a final in the san siro or stadio olimpico could be amazing, would have to involve at least one well supported team for it to be a success though

Post edited by sprucemoose on

Possibly there to keep broadcasters happy.

They are losing 2 pool games, but in exchange they're getting a knockout game which in theory will bring in more viewers than dead rubber pool matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Probably. The irony isn't lost on me that the final 2 weekends of pool games back 12 years ago frequently had endless excitement and reasons to watch all the games. 6 groups, and the battle for 2 best seconds was unbelievable.

If it ain't broke etc etc

I hate the fact that there is only 2 pool games.

Much easier as a fan who loves an away fixture to get to one of 3 instead of one of two games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nobody can say they weren't warned, when the Brits and the French carried out the coup of eight years ago.

Quite a lot of what made the old Heineken Cup the old Heineken Cup is now gone. Wonder what aspect will disappear next. Maybe a Super League?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

8 groups of three over these stupid untrackable massive groups is better if they really insist on having 24 teams. Would rather 5 groups of 4 though

8 group winners through

Home quarter for the top 4 teams. Two legged quarters if broadcasters really want all these games. Better than letting teams through to a last 16 after barely registering in the group stage

Two legged semi final

Something struck me in the last round of games.

THe ingenuity of alcohol companies to skirt around the ban on alcohol advertising by advertising their beer.

Mate, they're absolute beginners compared to how Marlboro has managed to stay in F1 over the years. From the mysterious barcode, to mission winnow.

Im not so sure, i watch F1 a good but and never noticed any Marlboro advertising. Must look into that

Initially when they were banned from putting Marlboro on the cars, they put a weird barcode on it. When the car was moving fast the barcode looked the same as the Marlboro logo had when it was on fast moving cars. When that got banned they founded a non profit called mission winnow, but stylised the font in such a way to do the same thing as the barcode.

It was all about continuity and subconsciously influencing people who were already smokers and f1 fans. Amazing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭TRC10

8 groups of three over these stupid untrackable massive groups is better if they really insist on having 24 teams.

Groups of 3 wouldn't work as each group would always have one team not playing on a weekend as the other two in the group play eachother. Which would mean it would take up more weekends, which is exactly what the French and the English don't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Are the broadcasting rights due to expire for BT sports & virgin/channel 4 this summer?

I wonder where they will end up? BT, SKY, Amazon?

Be great if there was just one subscription for all the rugby games, champions cup,urc, prem, top 14, internationals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Being played in Tottenham Hotspurs stadium

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They are up though there is talk that BT (or rather, it’s as yet unnamed successor company) will retain the rights for an eight year period. I will be surprised if that long a deal is signed though, for competition reasons.

There are new rules this season in Ireland banning alcohol advertising in stadiums during sporting events (apparently not concerts or the like though). Therefore while the competition can still be referred as the Heineken Champions Cup generally (and TV broadcasts still use that brand), the French/Italian “Champions Cup” branding without the word Heineken has to be used in the stadium during matches. Where that leaves the Heineken 0.0 ads I’m not sure and it does seem like an attempt to circumvent.

Advertisement