Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is a degree needed to go upwards in the civil service?

• 10-05-2022 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

I don't have one, but am slightly concerned in that if I join the civil service down the line, will the lack of one limit me. I don't want to be stuck on 25k~ forever as a CO.

Comments

Duplicate post...

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭squigglestrebor

You could do a degree in the civil service to be fair. I think you could probably get to HEO but it would be very tough to get to AP level, but there could be some departments where you could.

FFS Boards. Tidy up a duplicate post and both get deleted

Anyhoo, I've seen people refused interviews based on not having degrees as public servants so stands to reason that similar criteria can be applied in civil.

People who were in roles one grade down and actually doing similar roles

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭xeresod

Civil service will pay for your degree (studied on your own time) and give you paid study leave and exam leave

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Lack of one shouldn't limit you but it can help to have one.

As said, you can get a degree while in the service and they will cover the cost

And in you get into the service, you won't be stuck on 25k forever. Incrementd every year eventually cap out at 40k, so not disastrous

• Advertisement
Advertisement