Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

advice after minor rear end accident

• 10-05-2022 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

hi all,

Last night with my two young kids in the car i was stopped at traffick lights when a car rear ended me. It was more of a heavy bump than anything serious. KIds were fine but a little shaken after the fright, thank god. I got out of the car and had an exchange with the other driver, who was only a youngfella on a learner license. I checked for damage but didnt see any... but It was late and raining and im only after noticing this morning that there is indeed a crack in the bumper and an alignment issues beneath the licence plate.

I took photots of the other drivers insurnace, nct (expired by two months) and tax aswell as his driving licence. But I never thought of asking for his phone number.

Looking for advice on how I should proceed with this as I want to get the bumper repaired (obviously). Paying for the repair himself would probably be his best option instead of going thrpugh insurance etc...

I only have his name and address.

Any advice would be welcomed, and agin im delighted it was only bumper damage.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,016 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What may appear as bumper damage could be much worse when examined. Depends on value of your car as to how I would proceed, first step would be to get the damage examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Car is a skoda superb (2010) not by any means worth a fortune…

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

Just get the damage assessed and get a price for fixing it then drop around to his house with the estimate and see how he wants to proceed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭kirving

If you felt a heavy bump, it will more that likely be more than just bumper damage. While the front end of a car is very soft to protect pedestrians, the rear crash structure is often so close to the bumper that it absorbs the impact, but without the plastic bumper actually bending enough to shatter like a front bumper would.

Get your car checked by a very reputable crash repair centre, or main dealer.

Any impact may cause neck or back injuries. I got whiplash a day after a rear ending and it's zero fun. I never did anything about it though as the situation was messy and I didn't need the hassle at the time.

Also, I don't mean to be pedantic, but it's Learner Permit, not License - he simply shouldn't be on the road unsupervised. If you really want to give him a chance, make sure you or the kids have no injuries, get a quote from a reputable repair place + hire care, and give him 48 hours to pay in cash.

But I predict that trying to be nice will get you absolutely nowhere with someone who A) can't be bothered to NCT the car and B) drives unsupervised. Otherwise, - insurance route is your only option.

Thanks got this. A point of note that there was someone else on the passenger seat accompanying the driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,031 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Pass the details onto your insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

If you want to have the children checked over by a doctor by all means do this...

If all ok write a note to the guy and give the guy a chance to fix... you said the car not pretty new so going to a main dealer will mean that he has no option but go through insurance and be a big blow on him..

People like kirving really piss me off as he be off to a solicitor and main dealer ans screw the young kid...

If your family are ok get the car fixed and give the kid a break... your initial post was very reasonable... keep it up...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

As above. Report to your insurance, pass details on. Let them sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Klopp

report to your insurance and his, tell his insurance happy to settle without insurance. Once you get the estimate you can forward it to his insurance company and they can liaise with him and you avoid any contact or hassle of dealing with them.

Fair enough, that puts it in a better light.

Screw the young lad? How did you come to that conclusion? This isn't personal whatsoever.

Whether you get rear ended by someone on their first driving lesson, or by a millionaire who was drink driving, the only way to protect yourself in a situation like this if to do things by the book. If getting a quick and fair outcome for the OP means that the young lads insurance goes up for a a few years, well so be it. Don't crash your car and it's not a problem.

• Advertisement

What book... your talking rubbish ... get the bumper fixed properly... let the person who did the damage any way they please...

Car insurance cost is crazy in this country because of people like you... its people like you we need to be protected from...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

The Op is entitled to have it fixed at their choice of garage not the person who did the damage. If he wishes to pay directly so be it, however he had no NCT and is lucky he's not being charged. "People like you" absolutely ridiculous statement, you need to grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

Needless to say OP,don't get it repaired before getting cash from them if you choose to settle it that way. Otherwise it could become a "what damage?" situation after its repaired.

people like should be in a police state like Russia... you would have the kid locked up... cop on...

guys can we keep it civil, i was only looking for advice. Thanks for all so far.

Getting back to the original question, when i get a quote for the work should i literally knock around to the apartment with the quote or send a letter in paper... pitty I didnt just get his number as well as itd be easier to do it over the phone. Any sugestions on how to phrase such a letter would again be appreciated.

By the book is a figure of speech. The person who did the damage doesn't get to decide what backstreet garage superglues the OP's car back together, because it would be in their interest to cut corners.

You clearly haven't even read my first post, because I specifically said that I didn't claim for whiplash.

My insurance dropped by over 50% this year. €400 for a 250bhp car, and potentially millions in liability is a deal in my book. No crashing into someone, and driving a car with a valid NCT would avoid all this hassle for the other guy (and the OP).

Awkward enough, but the only option you have really. Knocking around is the best of a bad choice!

Good luck with it... if it were me i would send him a note in the post... otherwise you will likely have to report to the Gardai...

These spats on here are more fun than serious so all ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭ThreeGreens

Regarding the NCT, there was a 4 month general extension, so it might still be valid.

Also, there is a long waiting list at present to get your car NCT. Current appointments are at the end of August! Comes as a bit of a shock to most people when they go to book their NCT a few weeks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Ginger83

OP I would let your insurance know and the other drivers insurance. The other driver will be given the choice of paying without affecting his insurance.

If you decide to contact him with a quote I would post it. I would not turn up at his home because you do not know who or what you are going to meet or be confronted with.

I thought if a person was responsible for accident the NCB be affected...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Years ago I tipped a motorcycle while reversing and the rider dropped it. I gave him my details and he went off to price the damage. Few days later he rings to say that he had a quote for €510. I was happy to pay it but he went off to get another quote. About a month went by and he came back wanting to go through insurance because the damage was now €3.5k.

I contacted my insurance who sent an Assessor out to him and then to me. He had already had the repairs done and had repairs done to both sides of the bike.

The result was my insurance gave him the opportunity to take or leave the original €510.He wasn't happy but accepted. My insurance paid him and allowed me to repay them to keep it off my record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Whocare

If you have his address call around to him .and give him a quote from reputable crash repair place and tell him he have closed of business next day to call around and pay the bill or I will go the insurance route as I can't be bothered with waiting around and I hope you understand

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭User1998

Its quite simple.

Option 1: Get a quote, post it or hand deliver it to the driver. If they are willing to give you cash within a few days then great, all sorted. If they aren’t willing to pay, or don’t respond, then go through insurance.

Option 2: Skip option 1 and go straight through insurance

You decide what option you want to take. My opinion is that not giving him a chance to pay is a bit selfish. Although others are saying his insurance company will give him the chance. So I suppose straight to insurance would be okay too but more hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ants09

Car insurance is crazy in this country is not because of people like kirving but because insurance companies here are fraudsters and Claims Handlers intentionally lie and mislead you in claims

Being rear ended there could be more damage to the car then just simply a crack bumper.

The OP has a choice after getting a quote to get the car repaired.

1 - Get the other party to pay for the damage, and that includes costs like rental of car and other expenses incurred

2 - Go though the other parties insurance

If going though the other parties insurance i would advise to go legal and get a solicitor involved to deal with the claim.

All of what you say is what insurance companies here are saying our insurance more expensive... remember the EU looked at this a few years ago... we love solicitors and court and we have to pay...

Insurance companies are the very reason why insurance is so expensive and why people go to solicitors/legal in the first place instead of corresponding with the insurance company in the first place.

If i'm ever in another car accident again, instead of corresponding with the insurance company, my first port of call would be hire a solicitor to act on my behalf in the claim.

The reason is because of my past experience with them, as the Claims Assessor intentionally lied to me and in my opinion tried to defraud me.

But if a claimant tries to defraud a insurance company they are made out to be low life, but when the insurance company/Claims Handler does it then it is brushed under the carpet and they don't want to know or even investigate it.

I didn't claim for personal injuries etc as i wasn't personally injured in the car accident and me being nieve i believe that they would act honorable which was a huge mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I'd be curious to know what the intended fraud was in your situation

Fraud involves deceit with the intention to illegally or unethically gain at the expense of another

Fraud involves the false representation of facts, whether by intentionally withholding important information or providing false statements to another party for the specific purpose of gaining something that may not have been provided without the deception.

I was rear ended on a motorway in January 2020 which caused significant damage to my car. The 3rd party insurance company decided to economically write off my car.

The Claims Assessor phoned me and said the PAV according to them was x amount, i asked them where did they get the PAV from and the CA said "A car similar to yours was sold in Jan 2019 for x amount.

15 minutes before the CA phone me, he got an email giving details about my car and that it was sold in Jan 2019 for x amount and this is the amount of PAV of the car.

So within 15 minutes the PAV of my car changed from my car to a car similar to mine, which is Fraud as he is making false statements and withholding important information as i brought the car in Mar 2019 which they knew about.

Also my car is one of the few that it is going up in value since i brought it.

Also they said the scrap value of the car is Y amount and when i asked who is the scrap yard that put the offer in they gave a name of a company in Donegal, but that company didn't know anything about it and they said they wouldn't even touch my car as they only deal with VAG's which my car ain't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Am I reading you right? You were rear ended in Jan 20 and they were offering you what it was worth in 2019?

• Advertisement

You are reading it right

My car is an older car and the value of these cars are going up in value not down in value

Advertisement