Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Social housing tenants now allowed to take in Ukranian refugees

• 10-05-2022 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

I just heard this on the radio. Is it true?

5 minutes later i got a whatsapp from my cousin asking me how she can sign up to this. Apparently there is €400 per month plus food and electricity allowance in it for her.

I cant find any detail on it though.

Will the RTB be involved?

What happens with the RTB if the new tenant wont move out?

All sorts of ramifications here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

What has the RTB got to do with social housing Tenants 🤔

The Announcement is the permit council / Local Authority tenants take in Refugee's without breaching the Tenancy agreement they have with their local Authority, currently they are Not permitted to accommodate anyone other than themselves, immediate family etc.

The €400 payment is being announced today, details are scetchy, wether its to compensate those Hosting a Refugee or those pledging a vacant property is not clear but you can be sure there'll be numerous T&C"s attached.

There's already a Thread dealing with Housing crisis, Ukranian refugees.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I think social housing tennants should be allowed to take in refugees. But considering their rent is likely to be a fraction of what mortgage holders / private renters pay they should be given a much reduced allowance from the government. Say 100 per month or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

This will mean some tenants taking in more from this than they actually pay in rent each month, what a time to be alive in this country, endless money.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any proposed state funding for hosts is not meant to be towards rent/mortgage, its meant to be towards increased food and energy costs.

If there is a separate payment for provision of space it won't be for those hosting in their house.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Then why not give it as X amount credit off such bills?

• Advertisement

Good idea. I'd love to see the amount of applicants for the cash payment versus the amount if it was a credit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Credit off food bills would be basically impossible to do; ditto for any heating system that isn't gas or electric. Also as is becoming apparent even doing the electricity credit doesn't work in all flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I can see it would be difficult to assess food bills but certainly utility bills would be easier to monitor but all this said , if Refugees are in receipt of SW payments, Children's allowance and medical cards , surely the only real cost to anyone housing them would be an increase in Utilities 🤔

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...and more money becomes available to be spent into the economy, everyone's a winner! the economy needs more money, and fast, as we re quickly heading towards a downturn!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Oh my God! Someone's getting the free monies again and I'm not. Waah, waah, waah!

You could always sign up and house a traumatised war refugee who can't speak your language and profit from their pain yourself, OP. Unless you want to fully support them yourself? We could always leave them out in the street. Or better yet, just leave them to be bombed, or starved out in a shelter. That's a far better outcome to you feeling somehow done over because people are incentivised to put a roof over a head, isn't it?

Have a word with yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I really dont think anyone understands where money to pay for things comes from in this country tbh.

But to answer your question. I think this is a good idea. It utilizes the social houses that are underoccupied and it solves part of the problem the government created for themselves. Will it solve in completely? No, but its a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭toyotatommy

Approx rent to council €80-€100 a month, with €400 plus expenses could be a nice little earner.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

completely agree, most dont understand how money is created, the fact its created through debt in both the public and private domains, banks via credit/debt creation, and when governments run a deficit.....

ahem.... You definiltey dont understand money. You are living in a funny old world where you think that fiscal theory is fiscal reality :)

Stop it. This is not the forum for this, and you've been told that countless times.

As always, do not reply to this post.

Social hoousing shouldn't be used to house refugees. Not when we don't have enough housing to house the people who pay for it.

But the social housing is not taking any extra housing. It will be already under utilized houses. Like if Mary has an extra room in the house after one of the kids has grown up. Now what shouldnt be let happen is that a large profit can be made from keeping an under utilized social house. Like giving another social house to one of Marys kids and then letting Mary profit herself from that too. But thats another discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭gladvimpaker

So would the house holder get 400 a month, and the new tenant get their welfare and entitlements ?

So if you took on a new tenant got 400 euro a month, that would cover a monthly payment for a top of the range electric car.

Although depends on how long they stay for too...

Fully agree. These spare rooms should also be used to alleviate the pressure at the moment. I don't think we should limit the scheme to Ukranian Refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If a social tenant has the room to take in refugees they are in the wrong size house for their needs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I have to laugh. People giving out that refugees are on a level playing field with Irish and competing for scarce rooms. Government announces a way to house some of the refugees so that they aren't competing with Irish people for rooms. People now winging that they don't want this. They don't want people in social housing to get less than €100 per week to house these poor unfortunates.

Paying €400 per month is a lot cheaper than paying for hotels. Rooms in Dublin in House share can be up to €1k per month. Refugees are entitled to rent supplement so it us the tax payer would be paying for this accommodation. Personally I love the idea that it will only cost €400 per month to house people. It's not per person either. Mother & children is still only €400 per month.

Lots of people who wouldn't offer their rooms for any price seem to be against this. It seems to be the people who won't offer help themselves are doing all the winging

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Agreed but you cant realistically deal with that. It would take years and years to solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭toyotatommy

Tax exempt income. You can buy what you like with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭gladvimpaker

Not bad if you have a spare room ensuite and you're taking in an intelligent creative earthy sober quite type of person. 400 euro a month I'd buy that for a dollar :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Some aren't even paying that per month ,if anything their rent should increase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭victor8600

Yeah, well. Possible scenario: a family with kids renting from the council. Kids grow up and leave. Two or even one parent are in the house. Moving them into a smaller house is stressful and, very importantly, expensive -- you cannot just give the old house to someone, it needs to be refurbished and possibly even retrofitted with with energy saving insulation or a heat pump. That's €50-100K. New smaller house needs to be build and furnished, that's another expense.

Better keep the old dears where they are and allow them to share their rooms if that's possible.

There's actually an increasing demand from people looking to downsize in both ownership and council rental situations - this over the weekend for instance.

Iveagh Trust built units specifically for those downsizing from 3 bed units. The renovation/upgrade works will have to be done eventually and may as well get more active use (and probably a higher differential rent) from the stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

Hopefully this is a move towards housing more social tenants in under occupied houses. Not sure about the payment part as the Social Housing tenant doesn't own the property but I do think getting more people into social houses with spare rooms is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Tax man pays for decco's house, now he has to pay Decco 400 quid for letting Natalya sleep in his house. Great country all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Dollar Thief

Why can’t the Ukrainians pay for their own food and drink from their already generous full dole they receive?

Apparently there is €400 per month plus food and electricity allowance in it for her.

Advertisement