Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

We Own this City - HBO - (***Spoilers***) David Simon

• 16-03-2022 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭

Starts April 25th

Based on the book by Baltimore Sun reporter Justin Fenton, We Own This City chronicles the rise and fall of the Baltimore Police Department’s Gun Trace Task Force and the corruption and moral collapse that befell an American city in which the policies of drug prohibition and mass arrest were championed at the expense of actual police work.

Cast includes Jon Bernthal, Wunmi Mosaku, Jamie Hector, McKinley Belcher III, Darrell Britt-Gibson, Josh Charles, Dagmara Domińczyk, Rob Brown, Don Harvey, David Corenswet, Larry Mitchell, Ian Duff, Delaney Williams, and Lucas Van Engen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭EarWig

Looks good....

• Registered Users Posts: 84,805 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

David Simon and Jon Bernthal, I am sold

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Sold. HBO has a lot of good stuff coming. Pity HBO Max isn’t available here as Sky isn’t picking up all of the shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Getting very much "The Wire" vibe there from the description, and then same producer in the video....that's me sold too!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

lot of recognisable faces there

Exactly what you would expect from David Simon and his team a top class opening episode.

Marlo and Poot from the Wire. Also recognised the Beat cop from the Deuce was playing a detective in the interview room at the start. Bernthal is fantastic

EDIT: Just seen Slim Charles from the Wire is in it too, and Jay Landsmann

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

David Simon doing a show about the Baltimore PD with a load of alumni from The Wire? This should be brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

Watched the first episode and it felt very like The Wire, which is a good thing for me

• Advertisement

Whoa, did not realise this was out yet. Fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Slim was the guy with his kid in the car.Cop hassled him and throw away cards from wallet.

Landsman is the police chief .

Looking at the cast list there is a few more familiar faces dye to pop up over the course of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭billyhead

A good opening episode. Great to see some of the former wire cast involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Looks good. Probably the closest we will ever get to a season 6 of the wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Soo.. does it feel weekly.. or bingeable?

I got my Wire in binge format.. like.. consuming all the seasons in rapid succession.. that was good! Followed by rewatching with the commentary.. which was fantastic.

Decent first episode (albeit confusing) but it doesn't feel like the usual polished HBO production, the acting felt a bit off at times for me. Also doesn't feel anything like The Wire and having some characters swap roles between The Wire and this felt a bit distracting.

The pronunciation of Shropshire is really grating too, it may well be correct in the context but it just sounds so wrong.

Kinda off topic but I'd highly recommend the book the series is based on.It was only about £3 on Kindle store.

Its scary the stuff they were getting up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The jumping about can be confusing.

Seems to be at least 3 main timelines: Jenkins early days on the force, the timeline being talked about in the interviews and the timeline where the woman from DoJ is interviewing. Are the guys with the wire up in that timeline as well?

Then have the random ones like Jenkins and his crew getting taken in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

That's my take on it too - Jenkins early days and how he became corrupt, the investigation into the corruption, and then the aftermath of the arrests.

The aftermath piece I feel would have been better left to the last episode - I don't think jumping around in the timelines helps to tell the story.

Maybe because it's six episodes in they've decided to do things differently.

At the risk of appearing dense, I don't see how Jamie Hector's murder investigation ties in with the bigger story.

Have to watch this week's episode but it might be the case that somehow brings down Hersl, since I don't think he's in prison with the others?

• Advertisement

I was wondering the same thing about the murder case and I'd guess it comes back on the cops being involved .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

could Hersl be the good guy all along ??

have not seen episode 3 yet myself

And was wrong about the murder case. Though we did see that detective's earlier days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Jon Bernthal looks like Burt from Sesame Street in this.

Scary that this is all based on real events.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Creator of the wire David Simon’s latest, true story of the Gun trace task force; a very very dirty unit within the Baltimore police department.

I’m 4 episodes in. It’ll pop up on sky Atlantic next month.

it’s good stuff. Not as good as the wire, mind. Anyone else watching?

Thread here:

But yeah it's good so far. Timelines are getting less confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

watched episode 4 last night. Wayne Jenkins is not such a nice guy after all haha. Really enjoying the series thou.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭trashcan

Oh yes. Count me in. Is it confirmed for Sky Atlantic ? Any start date ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I downloaded the first episode, need to finish a few other things before we really get stuck in.

Advertisement