Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€2 for 90 minutes of travel across Dublin Bus, Go Ahead, Luas, DART and Commuter Rail with Leap card

• 09-05-2022 9:51am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As of today you can travel for just €2 for 90 minutes across Dublin Bus, Go Ahead, Luas, DART and Commuter Rail, including changing between multiple buses, Luas, etc. during the 90 minutes.

Young adults (19 to 23) can do the same for just €1 with their student card or the new young adult card.

Children (up to 18) can do the same for just 65 cent

To avail of this fare on the bus, simply tag-on with your Leap card at the right hand validator, no need to interact with the bus driver or tag-off. For Luas and DART, simply tag-on and tag-off as usual with your Leap card at either the gates or validators (make sure to tag-off at the end of the journey to get the reduced fare).

This is part of a wider initiative to reduce fares by 20% across public transport.

Post edited by bk on

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I know we already have a general discussion thread about the 20% reduction in fares, but I think this reduction in the Leap card is so significant, one of the biggest and best changes in fares and ticketing ever in Ireland, that it is well worth highlighting and drawing attention to.

I think €2 * for 90 minutes of travel is the perfect price point and great value and it will really help drive take up of public transport and hopefully help reduce dwell times.

€1 for students and young adults, 65 cents of children.

I know it is only temporary for the year, but I hope that they hold this fare at €2 for at least a couple of years.

Yes I know that will require more subsidy, but so be it. If they need more revenue, then from next year they should target the cash fares to return to normal and increase over the next few years and the short fare too. With the aim of eventually getting rid of the cash and short fare and instead we would just have a flat €2 fare.

I believe they have a golden opportunity to really promote public transport here and help finally fix the mess with ticketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It’s great all right, but without the roll out of DART extension and the MN, it’s not worth much long-term.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

While I'd agree that we desperately need MN and D+, I'd disagree with your point in general.

Buses in Dublin carry the majority of public transport users in Dublin and will continue to do so even after MN/DU roll out, just like London Bus carries more people then the fantastic London Underground.

And of course the €2 fare and 90 minutes of travel apply to Luas and DART today just as much as they will to D+ and MN in future. If anything D+/MN will make a ticket like this even more necessary as we are likely to see even more people swap between bus and Metro/DART/Luas to complete their journey at either ends, just like you see with London Underground and London Bus.

This is all part of a modern, well integrated public transport system.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The rollout of the new orbital bus routes this year and next will make this fare a real game changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Are these new fares supposed to be permanent? I heard that they would only last for the rest of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The 20% fare cut is a temporary measure in response to the increased cost of living.

Whether it continues beyond the end of the year will be decided at the budget in October I would imagine.

The 50% youth fare reduction is a permanent measure.

Still think its ridiculous that you have to have a leap card, and cant just use a contactless bank card like on a London bus.

Advertisement