Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Women Have the Hots for Vlodomyr Zelensky

• 10-05-2022 12:22am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So it seems that the women of the West have a collective crush on the heroic President of Ukraine, Vlodomyr Zelensky. 😁

I would see the man as a hero and role model for sure, standing up as the underdog to the bully of Putin and the Russian army. He seems to have a very masculine vibe about him, to be a "man's man" and not capitulate or run away when his beloved country is invaded and reduced to rubble. I wonder how many of our own leaders would do that?

But surely women in the West are sick and tired of so-called "toxic masculinity" - Well, the media seems to think so - but yet at the same time they have the hots for Zelensky, voted Sexiest Man Of The Year.

So...am I missing something here? How is that apparent contradiction explained? 🤔

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,568 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think it's just wanting to give him every support in every way possible, had he entered Cruffs he's have won best in show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Just wait until BongBong Marcos gets elected!

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Maybe it's because having entered politics in 2018/2019 he is already worth €1.3 BILLION.

Doubt he made that kind of dosh in his previous job as a stand-up comedian.!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Must be that beard he grew for the war. Who's cutting his hair though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭toyotatommy

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It was gas seeing Macron dressing down to match Zelensky before the election in France, it was like in The Office when David Brent copied the new office managers clothes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Being a 'manly man' is not toxic masculinity.

Putin would be an example of toxic masculinity, because his version of manly man has very negative effects on others.

Billions were mentioned but probably exaggerated. In the Pandora papers he was shown to have ~180 million in Cypriot bank accounts..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Well, I certainly wouldn't kick him out of bed for eating crisps!

"The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride!"

What a quote! Although, as he's married I can understand why he would refuse the ride 🤔

He's intelligent, has a sense of humour, seems self-deprecating but self-assured, scrubs up well in a suit and looks rugged in casual clothes and he seems to have empathy and is not emotionally stunted.

These two pictures have been doing the rounds side by side recently:

That Bucha picture just makes me want to give him a hug 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I think there is something off with him. Can’t put my finger on it. He comes across as an actor playing a role.

He also must be in a fairly safe part of Ukraine playing the hero, given that the worlds “best” have been popping over to see him and get their photo ops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Not surprising considering that Ukraine is still the current flavour of the month. At least people are slowly getting bored by it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

I think you may be confusing 'masculinity' with 'toxic masculinity', OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

I don't fancy him myself but I can easily see why he would be considered sexy by many. I wouldn't have put him in the category of "manly man". To me that means a vacous action hero type with greased muscles and a cigar hanging out of his mouth. Zelensky seems more genuine and intelligent than that stereotype. He comes across as a decent, empathetic person. He's not playing the usual slimey politician.

He's a corrupt individual whose support in Ukraine cratered after he got elected because he was the same as the rest of them. The local elections in late 2020 for him were a disaster.

Obviously support him in this war but people acting like he's some hero for staying in Ukraine and that the Russians are out to kill him. Zelensky being killed by the Russians would make him a martyr and remove any chance of negotiations so the Russians never had any intention of killing him.

Things seemed to be going well for Ukraine under Zelensky, but by March 2020 everything changed. Zelensky appointed as his new chief of staff Andriy Yermak, a person rumored to have business connections to Russia. Zelensky sacked his cabinet of ministers, and Denys Shmyhal, a former governor who had ties to oligarch Rinat Akhmetov, became the new prime minister. The Verkhovna Rada also voted to remove prosecutor general Ruslan Ryaboshapka, a decision that concerned the West. In selecting his new cabinet, Zelensky appointed numerous figures who had ties to former Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych and pro-Russian Ukrainian politician Viktor Medvedchuk. Zelensky, it seemed, was surrounding himself with Ukraine’s old faces.

Beyond the internal government turmoil, there also were problems within Servant of the People. Some reports claim the party is fragmenting. Other reports state that the party lacks a sense of direction. As a result, support for the party has significantly declined. According to a poll conducted by the Sociological Group Rating, support for Servant of the People has waned to 34 percent. Zelensky’s personal popularity has also declined. During the presidential election, Zelensky won 73.2 percent of the popular vote. By September 2020, his popularity dropped to 31.8 percent. This sharp decline demonstrates that voters have started to lose faith in their government.

Ukrainians expressed their frustrations with Zelensky and Servant of the People during the recent local elections, and the Ukrainian president and his party experienced their first major political loss since their historic presidential and parliamentary victories in 2019. According to Ukrainian exit polls, Servant of the People did not perform well in any of the prominent mayoral races. The party is also not expected to perform well in any of the runoff elections.

The results of Ukraine’s local elections illustrate the drastic decline of Servant of the People. What was once viewed as a potential reform party has now become a group synonymous with Ukraine’s corruption crisis. It is no wonder why Zelensky’s popularity and the popularity of his party have faded. Zelensky and his team will now regroup as they try to formulate a strategy on how they can maintain their influence despite this significant political loss.

It does go to show how easily people are manipulated.

funny and sad at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Well, looks like it’s time to move this one over to the “Current Affairs” forum, or even “Conspiracy Theories”.

The vocal 4% cavalry has arrived.

The tide is turning…

While I fully support Ukraine in their efforts to oppose the disgusting aggressive actions of Russia, it would be silly to forget that before this, Ukraine was considered one of the most corrupt nations in the world and Zelensky was the head of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

He has only been president since 2019 and one of the first things he did was the repeal an act that gave MPs legal immunity. If you want to find a stick to beat Zelenskyy with, you'll have to do better

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭BrianD3

He is below average height and his shoulders and overall build look small relative to the size of his head. The real hunk in the Ukraine conflict is Vitali Klitschko, looks and sounds like a serious badass. Makes everyone around him look like a child, this will be very stark if Zelensky and him are pictured together.

Putin gets described as a midget and dwarf but him and Zelensky are about the same height

Zelensky can do no wrong at the moment but it will be astounding if he doesn't have skeletons in the closet that will come out at some stage. I expect the midget sneers to start then.

You got threadbanned from the CA thread so now you're spouting your nonsense here.

Well, at least you're consistent

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm sure Zekensky is far from an angel - but there is just...something about the man that I find myself attracted to. 😁 He certainly seems to be a man of action who is both very hands on and charismatic.

I'm a gay man, not a woman BTW. I can see why women think he's hot.

Personally I think that concept of "toxic" masculinity is a load of American imported bull.

lol

I dont want to beat Zelensky with a stick at all. I think he has handled the situation he has found himself in, exceptionally well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

I don't recall that ordinary women were asked if they wanted the waffly concept of "toxic masculinity" inserted into culture in the first place.

People are more usually told what to think by mainstream culture rather than asked.

In any case Zelensky is a pretty-faced actor, much softer-looking than most political/military leaders past or present.

I know nothing about him and don't really have much opinion. I don't want to see Russia gain territory though.

I feel sorry for people who transfer their savings to an IBAN in Ukraine that has been 'verified' as 'legitimate'.

Newsflash: your money is being embezzled, it's not being used to buy grenades

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

I've a few extra hatchets lying around if you'd like to borrow and deploy them btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

I expect the midget sneers to start then.

I think you're doing quite a good job there already tbf

God help anyone who isn't over 6 foot 🙄

What was that about being head of a corrupt nation, then? Some sort of attempt at throwing mud at the wall and hoping it'll stick?

• Advertisement

What?

I can say that Zelensky has handled the situation he has found himself in remarkably well and still acknowledge that he is the leader of a nation which, up until the Russian invasion, was considered a far-right corrupt nation.

That's not throwing mud.

Why do you think it is?

Advertisement