Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ms. Marvel - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Lead in, I'd say since they're about a year apart and this introduces her.

Like I said before, seems there are a number of changes to the character origin and powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Quite enjoyed the trailer for this, daughter is really excited for this one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sometimes I watch trailers for things and I go "Nope. That ain't for me, god speed to it", and exit stage left. The first MCU production I shan't be bothering with. Strange they're not going with her stretchy powers from the comics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Probably preparing for Mr. Fantastic coming into the fold and don't want them having similar powers

• Advertisement

The problem with stretchy powers is how to do them without looking goofy or crap. Just look at the 2 Fantastic 4 films or The Flash. I still would've preferred them as well.

I would say they announced the series with the intention of using the proper powers but probably didn't work right when they did effects testing. Or may have been too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,139 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

She isn't an Inhuman so thats why the powers/origins switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Wierd... that same youtube video must have sent me to a different trailer because I'm pretty sure I saw stretch powers.

She did a stretch punch type move but it was just the energy or whatever that power is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I see a lot of chatter among comic readers about big changes to Kamala's back story. Mostly to do with trying to keep InHumans out of canon. Not a comic reader myself so all I care about is a fun story. The trailer is giving me big Into the Spider-verse vibes, especially with the comic graphics at the start. Maybe that was just for the trailer, we'll see but overall I'm positive for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I enjoyed the comic books very much (well I have only read 1-4). I suppose them likely removing the inhumans stuff on this was necessary given how horrible the tv show was....it's a shame because it has bags of potential. But it might prove to be a blessing for want of a word keep it slightly more grounded like a "friendly neighbourhood spiderman" vibe.

I am guessing Captain Marvel will pop up at some stage? She has a really important role in the comics and maybe need her involved to help tee up The Marvels film?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,441 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Disney and the MCU have potential triumph in Moon Knight but as sure as night follows day along this will be coming which will undo all progress. I'll give it a try but my expectation is that this will be worse than Captain Marvel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's fairly obvious from the trailers both shows are aimed at completely different demographics and interests. This show doesn't appeal to me but it's clearly not aimed at middle-aged men either so wish it well. I hope it does what it wants to do with success 🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I’m really hoping this a crime fighting series and shows the struggle to hide the superhero is from family and friends.

So far all the MCU heroes are known to the public. Even Kate Bishop being a hero is known to many people.Moon Knight and Scarlet Scarab are so far the only to be unknown to the public.

MCU needs more heroes and villains with secret identities.

She sounds so dour. Voice seems so monotonous

• Registered Users Posts: 81,591 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The screen test the ever loving heck out of their character designs until they get something that feels right. This was my first assumption when I saw the change, CGI and stretchy skin have always looked terrible.

this is the first live action MCU for me that looks geared at a youth audience not a general audience, I’m not able to say I’m excited for this one but I’ll probably put it on anyway as new mcu content.

We adapt the comics; it’s not an exact translation,” Kevin Feige tells Empire. “[Kamala] came about in a very specific time within the comic-book continuity. She is now coming into a very specific time within the MCU continuity. And those two things didn’t match.”

It does look Marvel Studios meets Disney channel. That's not always a bad thing necessarily. I think back to Doctor Who about 12-15 years ago, Show runner Russell T Davies had 3 related shows on the go. Doctor Who for all the family, Torchwood for the older audience and The Sarah Jane Adventures for the younger audience. I have no trouble in saying that while Torchwood was always the darker series, Sarah Jane was the more mature of the spin offs, sometimes more mature then Doctor Who itself. Star Trek recently had a young persons series that seems to be doing well so why not let Marvel Studios have a go?

I'm rooting for Iman Vellani, it's commendable that Marvel went for giving a new actor her break on tv, it's the same with Alaqua Cox on Hawkeye.

Can’t say I’ve sampled Star Trek Prodigy. Lower Decks would be adult animation though. Good?

• Advertisement

Lower Decks definitely improved after the initial episodes but yeah it's more geared towards the older audience with all the references and the more mature content. Prodigy could probably be compared to early Star Wars Rebels or maybe Star Wars Resistance but, again, it got better as it went on. But definitely not aimed at anyone that couldn't ignore PLT holes.

But, anyway, with Ms Marvel I do hope it's good and the effects in the trailer do look promising. At least won't have to wonder how her costume works with her embiggening powers.

Well, they changed Spider-mans webbing from a science gadget to part of the mutation for Raimi's movies so maybe the cosmic bracelet will be accepted just as easily.

Don't think that was easily accepted among a lot of fans. 🤔 Though when they worked that into the comics in the The Other storyline it had a reason for happening and I think the story was well received.

I remember having a big special publication Marvel put out before the Raimi movie was announced, it was a whole compendium on the character, info about suits, gadgets, etc. and probably was a great design guide for the PS1 game devs... I remember the book had a chapter about failed Spiderman movies, the Japanese cartoon, and even about James Camerons idea originally to adapt them to film as organic web shooters and to potentially cast Leonardo DiCaprio. This was right after the Feature Movie rights had just recently been secured to Columbia Pictures (now Sony), and Marvel had gotten its second life on the other side of bankruptcy, so the compendium was very storied about Marvel's financial history and the story of the Spiderman IP. I don't remember anyone bothered by that idea of organic shooters, but I was very young, and I thought it seemed clever (as a fan of the 90s show). Couldn't tell you what their logic was for it on adapting to film, probably a live action production reason, like worrying about costume design or bulky shooters. Or they didn't want to explain how Peter could engineer web shooters, IDK. This was long before they had a reason for it in the comics or anything. Having it be part of his transmutation though is admittedly very efficient from a storytelling perspective (and made the sequel's story about Peter losing his mojo easier to tell too).

I had to look it back up on wikipedia, I wish I still had that book it was very good. Didn't talk about the Sex Scene between Spiderman and Mary Jane on top of the Brooklyn Bridge in the Cameron draft though! Was that in the comics? Jaysis

You may come away from this wiki article a little mindfucked about how Hollywood even functions. And now I am sad I will never see a Bob Hoskins Doc Ock.

FB comment from a comic book nerd on why here powers are different. Makes sense

"She came out in the comics at a time when [Marvel] were shadow banning the Fantastic Four and hyping up Inhumans as thematic replacements for the X-Men since we didn't have the movie rights for them. Now we have the rights and are working on bringing them into the MCU and we don't want to introduce two stretchy powers people in the same phase."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It doesn't really; there are loads of superheroes with super strength and several heroes with super intelligence. Why don't they want two stretchy heroes? Maybe there's something in the show that will justify but not wanting two stretchy heroes just comes across as a bit petty.

Post edited by FunLover18 on

The reaction at the start is cute.

Very wholesome vibe. I like the trailer work here and it makes me feel a bit more hopeful that this will be a great addition

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'm keeping my expectations for all future Marvel shows very low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Disney dropped first 2 eps to reviewers, reviews are mixed.... leaning mildly positive......

Advertisement