Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patio Design Help

• 09-05-2022 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

I'm getting someone to put in a patio (see the pictures) and want some advice on the various options. We have a concrete footpath running around the house and gravel everywhere else.

We are getting 1200x600 wood effect porcelain tiles.

The options are:

1) Dig up the footpath and have the patio run out directly from the wall (bit worried about this in case there are pipes laid under the footpath. Would that be an issue do you think?)

2) Leave the footpath in place and have the patio at the same level adjacent to the footpath. Not sure how that would look aesthetically? This is what I've marked in the photo.

3) Tile over the footpath using tile adhesive and have a lip of about 30mm at either side when stepping from the footpath on to the patio.

Any advice/tips welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭hesker

Don’t tile over footpath. See other thread and discussion on 150 mm height of dpc.

Either dig it out or leave it in place.

If it was me I’d leave it in place.

You possibly have drains under that footpath which just adds extra work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I wouldn't have lip either. A trip hazard when carrying things, or kids playing. As for the aesthetics. That depends on how deep your pockets are and how much it bothers you. If you can afford it easily then do it how you want. If it a stretch then don't. Personally I went for rustic look and regret it as every groove and rut is a dirt trap. Cleaning much much harder. I also got a handy man to do it, rather than someone who does patios, and on the day he outsourced it to his mate. never happy with it. First thing thats going if I extend.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

Thanks for the inputs... I'm leaning toward leaving it in place and maybe putting a darker brick (sailor course) as a border to differentiate it from the footpath!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

We just laid up beside a similar path, mainly because I did it myself and didn't think the effort would worth the hassle of digging it up and dealing with pipes etc

Very nice... yeah, I think it still looks well. The patio itself stands out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Yep, and yours will look better again, that concrete looks ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭standardg60

Kangoing up the footpath shouldn't be an issue as any pipes will normally be further down, you can lift the AJ cover and how far down yours are. Though i agree with the others it would be a lot less hassle to lay the patio off it.

Your idea of the brick border as a marker between the two is good as i think it would look better than paving right up to the footpath

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭spose

I think I’d pull the footpath. All that area in one finish would look better to me. Like said above the pipes should be underneath the path anyway so shouldn’t be hard to avoid. Had similar debate here and ended up taking it out. Wasn’t a big deal. Took 1 guy a day to clear out about 14m of footpath and it was 1.2m wide with steel mesh in it. Extra cost was the days labour and an extra skip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

If it were me I'd keep the footpath as it is to avoid any trouble and reduce cost. Plus it looks decent enough.

But I wouldn't put the patio flush with the path. I'd have 10 inches or so of those pebbles you have there already as a sort of decorative joiner between the footpath and the patio to help the patio stand out more.

Thanks all for the inputs... will post a picture when it's done!

• Advertisement

Kept the footpath in place in the end. Might have been better pulling it but with cost and possible issues decided to leave it in place! Put a border in to differentiate it from the footpath. Very happy with how it turned out! Thanks again for the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

Lovely job!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Xander10

Looks great. Don't forget to invite us all around for the BBQ/Drinks !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭standardg60

Super job OP, the stepping out of the original path actually makes a lovely feature as the border brick follows it, rather than if had just been a rectangle

Advertisement