Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spiked Anti Suckler

• 04-05-2022 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Used them on two yearling heifers today, I noticed them suckling a dry heifer today, and they used to be stealing a suck through the gates in the slatted shed but that was a few weeks back. I'd have thought they would be weaned by now.

Question is how long do you leave them on for? do they interfere with them grazing?

I had one of the plastic and metal ones I presume they both do the job

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Green plastic ones work well. Metal ones always seem to fall out. Never an issue with grazing.

Last few years I've always had one heifer at it as I run the couple of replacements heifers with the suckler cows. In the end I sold each one as it was a balls. They'll learn to go side ways to suck. Father said once they're at it at that age very hard to stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,051 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Best job is to put 2 in. One facing up and 1 facing down

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jim_11

I could never get the metal ones to stay in, always falling out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭893bet

If left on over a few months on a yearling it wouldn’t be long growing into the heifer nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Metal one fell out within a few minutes but I put it back on a little tighter. I thought the plastic one would be the junk one but that was the easiest to put on. I watched a youtube video on how to put them on, they seemed to keep them a bit loose but idk will they hold

Jezz that's not what I wanted to hear, but I think your oul lad might be right. It seems more of a habit for one of them rather than a want for milk.

feck em anyways, why couldn't they make them with spikes on both sides

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭50HX

Metal one usually stays on here

I put in a small washer before tightening the wing nut..seems to grip/close better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Dunedin

The metal ones will stay on but they need to be tight. Don’t be afraid to tighten them. I have one on cow for 3 years now and still there. But I did lose plenty in the early Days by being afraid to put on tight enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭kk.man

Plus 1.

I had one on a yearling years back. Like above go tight. One of the spikes fell out but worked a treat. I think she stopped the habit in the next grazing season from memory.

Advertisement