Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now that Covid is over why doesn't someone officially call it ?

• 08-05-2022 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

ICU down to 29

7 Day rolling death average of 6

So we're down to one death a day attributed directly to Covid in a country that experiences 80-90 deaths per day.

My wife, who is still swabbing tested 13 people yesterday, they were doing 450 a day back in Jan 2022.

Should Tony not make an official statement, who gains from the continuation of this charade, it's genuinely over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's still being tracked by the HPSC, like other diseases it tracks and that side of it has nothing to do with the CMO any more. Declaring the COVID pandemic over is a WHO remit anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

We'll need to wait and see what happens this winter. If we get through without the new variants being a big problem, then it's probably pretty much over. Its summer, last summer was mpre or less grand too.

No point declaring it over untill we can get through a winter without any restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Restrictions are lifted & life has returned to normal. I'm enjoying the freedom again. Covid hasn't gone away though. "Calling it" would be a bad idea because people still need to take personal responsibility and be on their guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I'm dreading winter. It will go up again with people and their self diagnosed colds and chest infections and going into work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,986 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

Try leaving Venice Airport on an airplane wearing a mask that doesn’t comply with FFP2 standards and you find out about rules & regulations as I did on Friday trying to board Aer Lingus with “just” a “medical mask”.

Every bully post gets reported. If personal bullying is the best way you can feel good about yourself, then your self-loathing is your own loss.

I was in London a couple of weeks ago. I was gobsmacked that masks weren't a requirement for the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Ceramic

Ultimately it’s up to the WHO to call it and it still seems to be a very live issue in some countries, notably with poor / patchy vaccine uptake.

I think the airlines probably were accurate enough in calling 2023 as the likely end of the pandemic era. A lot of others were being a bit unrealistic. It’s probably been 2022 for Ireland and much of Europe though.

I don’t see us swinging back to those kinds of restrictions ever again.

I do think we need a major debriefing in Ireland, in the EU and elsewhere on what happened, what worked, what didn’t work and how we could prevent or minimise a situation like this ever happening again.

The way this was handled almost everywhere was generally not wonderful and was learn as we went.

Ah, I don't pretend to know what will happen. It might be grand, there might be a variant of concern. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

It's not about the number of infections. It's about the hospitals and ICU numbers. People going to work with a cold won't cause covid infections in ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Ah yeh nice one. Drag it on for another year. It'd be extremely extremely unlikely that any new variant would be a concern or stronger than omicron.

• Advertisement

Doesn't need to be stronger than Omicron. Just strong enough to warrant restrictions. If we need restrictions then it's not over, wouldn't you agree?

But so what if it hadn't been declared over? Declaring it over doesn't make any difference in practice. We're living without much restriction at the moment. And if we get through the coming winter without need for restrictions, then it'll most likely be over.

What's the advantage to declaring it over now before we know if it's over or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It's over here but other countries still have vaccine passes, mask mandates etc. And not to forget the craziness going on in China.

A lot of powerful people, organisations, companies have a lot of skin in the game too. They don't want it to be "over".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

There's a conspiracy theory thread that all COVID measures are permanent. Some of you claiming restrictions could return in the winter are best advised to visit that thread I think. COVID is dead in the water and poses no more than negligible strain on our health service. It took two years to get to this point and lots of vaccines, but quite clearly COVID is well and truly over as any sort of crisis.

What's the conspiracy angle? Who are you referring to and what 'skin'?

I don't know how likely restrictions are to return next winter. But that's the test. Summer isn't a test of anything. The threats last October were full of posters claiming restrictions over Christmas were impossible and millions would refuse another vaccine. That's easy to say in October and the relevant numbers are low. But circumstances changed and people reacted appropriately.

We'll just have to see how this winter goes. If it goes smoothly then great. No point telling people there can't be need for restrictions next winter when we don't know. We haven't had a winter without restrictions since it started so the only sensible things to do is wait and see.

What's the advantage to 'declaring' it over anyway? I don't see any advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

So just wait until winter is over is the new just wait 2 weeks now? Bearing in mind its not even summer yet, it's a pretty long wait lol. I'm sure then it will be, 'best to wait until spring to be sure' etc etc

Why? What would spring tell us?

Winter is the test. We can declare anything we want, doesn't make it so. The irony would be totally lost on the posters who demand covid be declared over, and then act shocked of there us any need for restrictions this winter.

Has anyone come up with any advantage of declaring it over?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Bizarre. Why do we need to "call it". Regular people just move on with life without needing official signals.

The only oddballs still talking about Covid are the usual disappointed Covid-conspiracy freaks who now have nothing to complain about since all their 'research' was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,124 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Yep. As usual all the 'boiled frog' types have been shown up.

• Advertisement

We can easily get through winter without restrictions if we just don't put any in place.

We have proof now that restrictions don't work anyways as cases will drop off without them. The government more or less admitted this by saying that only a full on nuclear lockdown might help with the likes of Omicron. And thats hardly worth it given the tiny death rate.

Besides, we have bigger fish to fry now with the huge levels of inflation caused by how irresponsible we've all acted over the last 2 years.

Yeah absolutely. Most people are getting on with their lives. The ones going on and on and on about it are the conspiracy theorists.

But if we're declaring things for the sake of it, can someone declare me the winner of tomorrow's Euromillions, please? That would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Xander10

But isn't it the case, that a virus like C19 is not spread based on season. Therefore, why would winter tell us anymore than summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Oddball on the Internet still talking about covid, claiming only the other oddballs are talking about it.

Pot, kettle, black there Mr. Crocodile Oddball.

So if we all need to be on our guard over covid how has life returned to normal?

Is that the case? I think it spiked in winter the last 2 years. And that's all the data we have to go on.

Has anyone come up with the advantages to 'declaring' it over now as opposed to waiting to see if its actually over?

I'm not doing a lot differently than before covid right now because covid isn't a problem right now. Covid has been. Problem the last couple of winters so thsts the test of whether it's over or not.

Pretry simple stuff.

I'm on my guard crossing the road or driving on a motorway. Being on your guard should have been part of your life since you were a small child. Being on your guard is a very normal part of everyday life for an adult

Can anyone think of any advantages to declaring it over? I've asked a few times but nobody has even attempted to address the question.

• Advertisement

So in what ways are you being on your guard against covid at the moment?

Advertisement