Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Tariff Unit Rates

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

You are mistaking Ireland for a country that has any serious commitment to tackling climate change

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I often mistake Ireland for a country that care about their citzens and tax payers too. I should no better by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭garo

Not any more. Now the wholesale rate on Smart tarriffs matches the day/night rate. They changes it about 6 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Good, hopefully we'll start to see some more realistic prices filtering in as the competition starts to kick in.... could take another while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭irishchris

Brushed the ideas of pinergy off earlier as madness but more starting to consider it. They have an ev plan with 5c charging from 2-5am but their day rate is extortianate at 38c.

However at the minute I'm paying €509 standing charge whereas pinergy would be a saving of €280 SC. The idea being here to charge my incoming DIY battery in poor months to ensure little to no day rate usage.

They also pay 13.5c export tariff and I have given 750kwh back since march already which would have equated to another €101 saved. Waiting on call back from pinergy to confirm 100% though that this fit is paid on the ev plan.

Appreciate anyone's feedback on this and just to note I know day/night meter would be great but I don't have one and have smart meter installed.

• Advertisement

Well the good thing is you CAN still ask your supplier to swap your smart meter with d/n as EBSN still allows this loophole but I assume it will fixed soon. In the middle of doing this myself.

I somehow doubt pinergy would pay 13.5c for domestic, commercial maybe. Sounds too good to be true sort of thing.

No it definitely includes domestic also. But want to make sure this is in all domestic plans and not just a specific fit plan.

I don't see the big value in the day night at the minute to justify the change though? Is there a rural plan with low standing charge but with 5c or 6c like the smart plans

Only one d/n I am aware of is the energia EV plan but they might have bumped the prices on it.

That day night plan standing charge is about 160 more than the pinergy one and 2c more for battery charging at night. The day rate though is much more competitive but hope to not have to pay day rate with solar/battery combo. Decisions,decisions....

Yes I was thinking about the night boost options as well but none of them are enough to charge a 20kwh battery at 100a, best you could get is 15khw in the 3 hours which would not do me for the next day in winter but with the d/n you have way more time to relax charge them over the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Well this is disappointing....

Had contacted my electricity provider couple of weeks ago to request a change from 24 hour meter to a day/night.

No problem and order put through to ESB networks.

Rang ESB networks this morning to see if it's in the works. Told I was listed to receive smart meter. Told that they have zero day/night meters in stock and have no idea if they will be getting any more of them.

So day/night meters may be unavailable indefinitely now.

Called electricity provider to confirm that I cannot avail of their day/night rates with a smart meter. Confirmed.

Lodged a complaint about smart meter rates.

Disgusting the whole thing.

True and I suppose that's why everyone has different plans which suit them better. Thankfully my usage is about 12kwh in winter so I'm going that 15 would see me through the day with the 2-3kwh average I generate in winter days also but still undecided which way to go with this yet. If they were to pay the 13.5c fit on this plan though that would make the decision easier as could easily clear 400 euro back with that rate which would pay for a whole lot of electricity

Well F... I would guess they will spin the same BS excuse to me as they booked me in for the 16th.

Fit at 13.5 would definitely help for sure, but will also be taxed heavily for anything over €200 right?

Let us know how you get on with pinergy if my d/n option fails I need to look at alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭paulbok

Sounds like they've made a quiet decision to stop installing D/N meters. Even if new supplies of them are hard to come by, they'll have plenty of used ones from houses where a smart meter has gone in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Excellent point. What's the betting if you somehow managed to get your hands on one, there'd be a red tape issue about the calibration of it or some other BS that would render it "unfit for use" by ESB networks.

Just come out and declare that day/night meters are scrapped or banned or whatever-the-pheck ye like.

Transparency is a rare thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Transparency is a rare thing.

+1 to that brother.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Website is now updated; Energia EV plan is now fixed discount rather than fixed unit price, but unit prices have come down slightly. 27.43c/7.9c per kWh inc VAT.

See point 24; https://www.energia.ie/privacy/terms-and-conditions

Good to know, it's still viable if they haven't bumped the standing charges by something insane like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,177 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I know a few people who had D/N installed very recently, so they haven't stopped installing them yet.

The poster above should insist on one.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Good spot. Corresponds to the old rate of 8.22c @ 13.5% VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I'm due to go onto a new contract and will hopefully have the opportunity to select a provider with FIT. Any sign of it being available yet?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

So far no. Bord gais are taking registrations now with payment to be received in July backdated to Feb 15th. But don't give a rate so could be 0.000000000001c for all we know. I'm just hoping they give it in all plans and don't expect people to give up cheap rates to go on a microgeneration plan. If so won't be doing it and will be restricting export from my inverter.

Pinergy advertising like they have been giving 13.5c fit for months but when contacting them they say they aren't paying it yet and don't know when will be doing so. Also their day rates are extortianate and they only pay the fit once a year so you are stuck with them for the full 12 months including winter where you will be paying a lot of 38c day rate. They mention a microgeneration plan too so by looks of it you can't pick any of their other plans like the ev charge one.

So really fit looks like give with one hand and take double with the other hand. Only in Ireland!

Pick the best day and night rates from the suppliers and go with that and forget about the fit payment as you will save more doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Cheers, all the more reason to go with batteries systems. It'll be a little longer ROI but will be worth it seeing how the energy suppliers are now bumping up prices.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭garo

Best rate for electricity for me but the gas is a lot more expensive than the EI offer. I save 120 on lectricity but lose 300 on gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Saw this article earlier on the Independent: https://www.independent.ie/news/environment/over-21000-customers-to-be-paid-by-esb-for-their-solar-power-energy-41629327.html

Have many people signed up for the feed in tariff? I see a lot of talk about people not getting a smart meter. I have an Iskra ME168 meter, which registers day and night usage, and I just found out it has an arrow to indicate direction of energy flow.

I received a letter from ESB about switching me to a smart meter in the next few weeks. I presume this is needed for the FIT?

Currently looking at the NC6 application form. There's mention of backdating the FIT/credit to Feb. I assume you'd need to already have the smart meter for this?

Currently in early stages of looking into a battery backup, but might not continue in the FIT becomes an option. All depends on payback time I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭OO7FITZY

reading comments and as frustrated as everyone else comparing smart meter plans

bamboozled here trying to figure out cheapest plan as I am out of contract with Iberdrola dual fuel so looking to change

from what I can see via the bonkers site, is Energia is the best dual fuel but can save a few hundred more if I go Energia for lecky and Flogas

I charge an EV at night so want to get a good rate and option to switch to d/n meter is prob not realistic (unless people think otherwise)?

switcher.ie does not have option to enter smart meter - only 24hr meter and d/n meter which is not much use

agree there should be a pricing code to allow easy like for like comparison across all providers but won't hold my breath

offered the follow from energia inc vat

21.66 cent (day rate)

16.51 cent (night rate)

22.70 cent (peak rate)

I use around 5k kw per year

46% / 44% split day/night and 10% peak for last 12 months with Iberdrola

Can I do any better than this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭paulbok

That day rate isn't bad, and it's only 1c extra on the peak rate, but the night rate is brutal, should be around 11c, even less when there is a peak rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I had an appoinment to swap in the day /night meter.

They never showed.

When i called back they made another appointment for two weeks later. Never showed then either.

• Advertisement

In a similar boat here, should have been out last Friday I called them and said W T F.

They said they got the "date" wrong when they put in the request with ESBN and ESBN cancelled the appointment apparently.

Booked me again for next Monday and this time I called ESBN and said there better an appointment for Monday and they confirmed. We'll see.

Advertisement