Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Charging for battery health?

• 08-05-2022 3:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Hello,

So, I have the Kia e-Soul 2019, and do know not to charge to 100% unless a road trip is expected the next day. I've set the charging limit in the car itself to 80%

Things are settling down in a routine where I charge to 80%, my wife and I drive for a couple of days, the car is down to 40%, then she asks me to charge it because she does not want the range anxiety in case a trip is suddenly needed.

Is this a good way of using the car or do I need to let the battery go down to 20% periodically, and if so, how often is this needed?

Also, does it matter if I do smaller charges sometimes (say for 10-20%) as opposed to bigger charges? We're still talking standard AC charging here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,091 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Personally I'd charge it fully just for a easy life with the Mrs, all your really doing is saving a small bit of the battery for the next guy who's probably just going to charge it to 100% anyways, I've a hybrid so that battery is fully charged and emptied to 0 every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Most if not all EVs monitor their charge state and don't allow 100% charge. The charge level you see is not showing the cells true charge. The 100% you see is probably closer to 90% and 0% most likely 10%. Obviously this may differ between manufacturers but a quick Google on your specific model should give all the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭MichaelR

I'm not exactly thinking about the next guy yet. Our strategy as a family tends to be "buy a 3 year old car and keep it for 5 to 7 years". This car is even somewhat newer so I think we want to have it for 6 years as a minimum, unless a critical breakdown, a write-off crash, or some kind of unexpected personal situation requiring the sale of the car happens.

So what I want is to extend the useful life of the car as much as possible *for ourselves*.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I set my charger to 80% mon- Friday , 100% for weekends. and have it preheating to 21 degrees each day.

the charger is pretty smart and actually pre conditions the battery by charging it at lower current before ramping up so it’s just reaches the desired charge for the time set

I believe that’s the optimum

Advertisement