Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spiritualized

Options
  • 07-05-2022 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

Just looking for a little feedback. I was thinking of heading to this tonight. All I know is ladies & Gentleman, and Songs in A&E. I had a check of the setlist, and they only play 2 songs altogether from those albums. I was giving a listen to some other songs on the setlist, and they sound ok, but would need to more familiar with them to properly appreciate them. I have never seen Spiritualized live. I was thinking that if I pick up a ticket for €20, I'd prob go. But at the same time, I don't want to be bored either, and just going for the sake of doing something on a Saturday night.

So basically, has anyone here seen them live before & would it be worth going if not knowing practically all of the tunes.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I think he can be hit or miss. I've seen them twice, and one of those was Ladies and Gentlemen in full, and it was amazing.

People have said to me before, it depends on the recent album, and whether you like that.

But sounds like you've done a good move by checking recent setlists. But if you have never seen them, I'd go see them. Especially these days, when we had two years without any gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I saw them in the Ambassador in 2001. Absolutely phenomenal gig from start to finish. One of the best I’ve ever been at. The band were so tight.

Don’t expect any kind of stage antics, though. At that gig he came out, stood sideways to the audience, closed his eyes and played/sang. At the end, he opened his eyes and I think he muttered “Thanks” before leaving. These days, I think he sits down while playing. Not knocking him for this, though - it was all about the music.

I haven’t really listened to his stuff since Let It Come Down, but I think it would be worth going to if you haven’t seen them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

GO!

Have seen them 30 times and have been disappointed occasionally (mainly in the noughties when he released his two worst albums imo; Amazing Grace and Songs in A&E) but have been utterly blown away many times too.

I would rate the current album his best since L&G and i don't seem to be alone in that viewpoint with many fans and critics saying the same. The current setlist leans heavily on the two most recent albums but if you're not really familiar with the band what have you got to lose?

I can guarantee there will be something in there that you will absolutely love whether you lean towards the noisy, rockier stuff or the quieter tunes.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Sound. Thanks for the comments. Will go. Will try to cram in a few listens to recent songs on the setlist in the next few hours. I love to go to gigs on my own and just sit there and listen to the music with one or 2 drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Mazzy Star

I saw them in the Paradiso in Amsterdam in 2019.

I think it may have been a combination the venue being a old cathedral, the tunes and the erm local intoxicants I had been smoking but I had the best night of my life.

It was heavy on Ladies and gentlemen and as others have said and looking at Set List FM this tour seems to feature the newer stuff.

I am heading again tonight myself regardless. Hope you enjoy! Might be stood next to ya!

• Advertisement

Maybe ya. If you sing someone singing along to Come Together, but not having the foggiest of the lyrics of any other song, that will be me.

I know most gigs kick off at 9, but any idea if same applies tonight. Just need to organise my night. Kids etc.

Most artists post on Twitter etc what time they are starting.

Just checked, not this maverick though. But yeah it would be fairly safe to assume 9 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

On stage at 8.30 according to email from ticketmaster

That was absoloute quality. Just grabbing a taxi home now following an apres gig pint in Brogans.

Post edited by Mazzy Star on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Brilliant gig. I f*cking love that man so much.

On a side note, is there no age restrictions in the Olympia? There was a pair of amadáns in the front row circle with a little girl who was no more than 7 or 8 years old. She was clearly distressed any time the band went into full on noise and strobe assault mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Underwhelming unfortunately. Just seemed to be going through the motions. Ah well...

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

Had never seen them live. Very good. Very easy to listen to. I made the mistake of hanging out the back for a while - where people were more interested in talking shlte. Moved up near the front then and was much more into it then. Great nights entertainment overall.

Advertisement