Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

224 days notice... or 6 years?

• 07-05-2022 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

I was of the belief that no matter how long you were living somewhere, the max notice you need to be given is 224 days..

I was evicted from my last place having lived there from the end of 2006 until the end of 2021 as the owners decided to sell (it's now listed for sale so all genuine reason there etc).

I was told at the time my legal term of notice to move was 224 days, but I've just come across this link which mentions something about 6 years? In what case would 6 years apply?

I have a friend in a similar position who has been in her place for 8 years and is being evicted now. 6 Years is a lot longer than 224 days, so in what situation would somebody be entitled to 6 yeras instead of 224 days?

EDIT:

SORRY FORGOT TO ADD LINK: https://www.rtb.ie/ending-a-tenancy/ending-a-fixed-term-tenancy/what-is-a-fixed-term-tenancy-what-is-a-part-4-tenancy

cheers

Post edited by NeptunesMoon on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Ouch Chinese Byrne

Length of tenancy Notice that the landlord must give

Less than 6 months - 28 days notice

6 months or longer but less than 1 year  - 90 days notice

1 year or longer but less than 3 years -  120 days notice

3 years or longer but less than 7 years  - 180 days notice

7 years or longer but less than 8 years - 196 days notice

More than 8 years - 224 days notice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

6 years notice?? You’re having a laugh or on the windup.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You didn't paste the link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

6 years would be insane.

How much notice do you think a tenant would need to give if a landlord needed to give 6 years?

I’ll give you a clue - it wouldn’t be weeks or months.

Completely unworkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭NeptunesMoon

Sorry, I forgot to post the link in the OP, I've posted it now... but now having read it again, I think this applies to rights of a lease term as opposed to notice of termination.

Its kinda confusing as it says you can be entitled to 6 years of a lease term, but if you're entitled to that, then your temrination notice would need to be that too I was thinking, but i guess that's not the case 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

always remember that all contracts must work both ways.

So if they did introduce a 6 year notice period (they won't), the tenant would have something similar. So imagine if you moved jobs to another part of the country and landlord says tough luck, you have to wait 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Except that rental contract dont work both ways in reality, and thats why there is now a severe shortage of rentals.

Advertisement