Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Putting in a massive tracked shelving system on a wall over my cabs today - will be the equivalent of about five 80cm billy bookcases.

First candy in under it nice and snug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I’m starting to look into buying a second cabinet, but the global situation is hurting shipping so Ronnie’s offerings seem thin on the ground.

If I get another cab, I’d want something with a 31KHz monitor so I can dabble in Naomi, just to try and differentiate it a bit more.

What am I looking at at a min? A Blast City?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭geotrig

If just want 31k maybe a naomi universal chopped or not is the best bet

if you want trisync cabs as below and still want to play Jamma

Blast City, needs a Loom,

New Net City /Net City

Atomisave SD

Egret III

Windy II

lcd cabs are an option here as well

vewlix

lindbergh etc

Master of the Universe

Atomiswave SD is probably the best way to go alright with it's tri-sync. Probably the cheapest option out of the above.

To differentiate it a bit, would you not think about the second cabinet's primary function being a vertical setup? Opens up so many new games to play which don't run properly on a hori cabinet.

Can't beat a bit of Mercs running in it's proper vertical orientation, full screen!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Yeah, a vertical setup was something else I was considering, would love to be able to get a Taito F3 and a cheap(ish) Layer Section conversion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Anybody know where I might be able to go to purchase a Sega Triforce and possible Sega Chihiro?

ukVac appears to have been down for quite some time as they attempt to upgrade the forum... I really hope that doesn't turn into another boards.ie job.

Anyway, struggling to find anywhere local(ish) where someone may have one handy!

I plan to turn my Blast City into the ultimate Sega Machine with hot-swappable Naomi 2, Triforce and Chihiro! :-P The one good thing about that particular line of arcade hardware from Sega is that the peripherals like NetDimm etc are interchangeable.

Well type 3 chihiro net dimm is built in , honestly I think it'd be a waste buying either for a blast, most games on both are for dedicated cabs and need additional drive boards etc.... The only thing on trifore I can think of is virtua striker (some random no)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dav09

Sega Triforce is really hard to come by, I think the last place I got one was from either China or Japan for repair of a Mario Kart. Honestly, most games on the Triforce and Chihiro need unique controls i.e. drivers, shooters, etc, would you not maybe get a Taito X2 Multi, Naomi Net Dimm and maybe a Lindbergh Multi or something? I suppose it all depends on what games you want to play.

I've never bought off of Mo before myself but I know he has probably a lot of what you're after:

https://www.videotronicsuk.com/pcbs-hardware/motherboards.html?p=3

mo is grand but just expect operator grade items rather than collectors stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Sega Triforce on eBay now from Japan but big money - the game base doesn't seem that exciting unless I'm missing a classic in there?

+1 for a Naomi/Naomi2 with a NetDimm and a net loading setup - a lot of great titles on the Naomi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Naomis are a great cab. I made a little video a few years ago for someone on ukvac to demonstrate the netdimm vs pc. Honestly the pc is easier overall switching games and not having to change region dip switches. The netdimm only gets plugged in now when people are over to play virtua golf.

https://youtu.be/8w2MXsq2l6I

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

This is arcade I guess.

New shelf in the Sega Astro City.

Had a spare piece of plywood. Wasn't long enough but just moved the cashbox screw.

Why does Boards keep rotating my pics incorrectly, grrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I got a 1up TMNT from the dump today.

Little dirty and no pedestal but still got it home to test.

Unfortunately it's dead.

Now I already have that cab all working so what's my best thing to do with the new (broken) one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Unsure how someone can break them, not a whole lot to go wrong unless the previous owner had a tinker?

If it has the original LCD, there are adapter boards to give VGA/HDMI input so you can throw anything in it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yeah probably an attempted mod or power, you should be able revive it though with your skills

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

With a four player control panel, I imagine sticking an RPi in there you could have it running all sorts of goodness, including Turtles/Simpons/X-Men/Gauntlet and so on

Master of the Universe

Completely gut it, decase that 14 inch Ikegami you have and lash it in. Would be absolutely amazing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Would the MDF construction hold together under the CRT weight?

I'm looking at the Pac-man Arcade 1Up head to head cocktail cab, they have them in stock in Smyths, at a not too bad €399.

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/retro-gaming/arcade1up-pac-man-head-to-head-retro-arcade-cabinet/p/200027

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

I've a couple 14 inch arcade crts too if you need one. all working with chassis and frame and don't need an ISO transformer ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I guessed as much. I'd say someone tried something and bricked it.

Definitely a little Simpsons, X-Men, gauntlet machine I'll do.

Although a CRT in it would be amazing, I think I'll just keep the LCD. Currently have a poker waiting to be converted into a splatter house so just want to get this one done handy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Made a "small" tutorial video on setting up a rasberryPi solution to work with analogue controls (pots) ..and CRT, in an Outrun cab. should work with any driver cab that uses analogue controls too (I'll try this in a chase HQ next which uses an opto encoder instead) . Doesn't handle output (shaker motors, lights or force feedback ) but it's quite a serviceable solution if you're stuck with a dead cab and have the parts lying around . It's a rather simple setup but I haven't found it documented (or only partially) when I was going through my Turbo outrun restoration so I thought I'd do a video on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jro5c-W9SM

So, what you are saying is, get rid of the Atomiswave and replace with a Naomi with the steering wheel, then mod it to play all of those racing games that I love...

Got it!

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Did the same type of interface with a pc and a "uhid" control interface to a namco driving cab. Like your set up Ollie, the uhid has no force feed back but that's fine as one side of the cab has a spring centering wheel and no ffb motor.

No matter how good a driving game is you will eventually get tired of it and having literally every arcade driving game available at home in a cab was the stuff of dreams as a kid.

Master of the Universe

I was recently looking for a photograph of the rear of a Jaleco Pony III as I was interested in seeing if my power switch is original or aftermarket (looks a bit too new to be original)

Came across this thread where some loon did a horrendous mod of a Jaleco Pony II. Stripped out the CRT, painted it red and black (!) just beyond bad taste.

Found myself agreeing with a few of posters in the thread, nodding away, only to see the usernames - Ciderman, Jack Burton and myself haha

Bizarre to randomly be reading your own words from almost ten years ago.

https://hyperspin-fe.com/forums/topic/2834-the-restoration-of-a-jaleco-pony-28-candy-cab/page/2/

Master of the Universe

There's a lad selling repro Jaleco Pony iii ashrays holders over on AO, I've never seen anyone repro them before and have been after one for years.

Recently got a repro one for my SNK cabinet and it really finishes it off visually.

The catch? $160 a pop, before postage! :eek:

Part of me is screaming 'this is your only chance to finish off this cabinet!' whereas the other part is screaming 'you don't even **** smoke!!'

But, they do make excellent jelly bean repositories!

Master of the Universe

Interesting thing I saw posted over on AO.

Neo Geo SC19 cabinets cost an absolute arm and a leg, but if you're interested in a design a Chinese company is now making a repro.

LCD and looks a little too modern for my tastes, but really interesting to see a classic design being remade.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dav09

Oh wow, now that is something I'd buy. Pity it's not a CRT but cost wise it's great if you compare to other home cabinets on the market. Its so difficult to justify a real Neo Geo SC19, which I presume are probably 4k plus now?

If they could ever be got in Europe I'd probably buy it and do some mad mods to it to try and make it more like the original.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I'd imagine the real deal is definitely over 4k now, starting to approach pinball machine money.

Wonder what these would come in at after shipping and tax from China?

Advertisement