Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slow Horses [Apple] (*SPOILERS*)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I dunno. My reaction was the cast looks like an endorsement but it feels like it would need a solid writer and director.

Director James Hawes seems to be taking on his first whole project but has worked on some decently directly shows:

Book writer Mick Herron having his first adaption of his books: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm11145649/

Writer for the show Will Smith (not the Fresh Prince) looks to lean in the comedy direction: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0810337/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

From the looks of that clip they are keeping pretty close to the books which is a good thing and the cast fits in with the characters so I'm looking forward to this one!

Critics Consensus says : Winner

Mix of comedy and gravity works

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/slow-horses/season-1

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I watched the first two episodes and enjoyed them.

Nothing we haven't before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Fan of the books, and this has been consistent with them so far. Enjoying it.

I do have concerns that you would have to have read the books to really appreciate it, though. There's only six episodes in this first season, and I don't think that's enough time to really flesh out Lamb & Co.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm enjoying it however it is no Spooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

A second season is already filmed and plans for more seemingly

I have finished first three very enjoyable so far.

Getting better and better just finished episode 5 only one more to go.

I will say though can't believe the kidnapped guy didn't do anything when he had the chance at petrol station!

Enjoyable season over all and the trailer for season 2 looks good enough to give it a go.

• Advertisement

Very much agree....solid.

Really good ending!

Will watch season 2 plenty of stories to explore.

MVP (bar Kristin Scott Thomas) Saskia Reeves...terrific!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭markw7

Have to echo the sentiments on here, brilliant show. Bodes well that there's a few books written already for this series so ample material for subsequent seasons.

Hopefully they won't leave it too long to release the already filmed season 2.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Excellent stuff. TV show of the year so far for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭archfi

Totally enjoyable.

Gary Oldman was brilliant, great storyline. Terrific cast.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Apple TV+ has renewed their widely acclaimed spy drama ‘Slow Horses‘, starring Academy Award winner Gary Oldman, for seasons three and four before season two has even launched.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watched the first two episodes of this and really liked it. It's a nice twist to have the main cast basically the worst, most incompetent dolts of MI5. Gary Oldman's performance is a shade too try hard but still fun all the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finished this up and loved every minute; a really inventive approach to the espionage drama and threaded the needle so the Horses remained a bit useless by the end. Lamb and Standish had a great antagonistic chemistry, the former a great performance from Gary Oldman, really nailing the comedy and pathos of the failed spy. Was delighted to have a season 2 trailer play after the last episode's end

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I don't think you could reasonably call Lamb "a failed spy"!

Well, thinking of stature and his general personal grooming. He is obviously very astute and capable - but Slough House is the pits and his team barely functional. Which has been half the fun.

Season 2 trailer

Season 2 starts December 2nd.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

That's a pretty quick turn around, from the first having arrived in April.

Both season were filmed back to back season two was finished before season one even aired.

Looking forward to it. Will be interesting to see how such monumentally useless staff will get drawn into bigger mysteries and threats each time. Could be one of those things that if it keeps happening, credulity is stretched.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭archfi

Really looking forward to this

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Season 2 starts tomorrow.

Excellent, can't wait. A surprising Best Of across the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Just in the middle of episode 3 of the second series and really enjoying it

The internet isn’t for everyone

I'm enjoying this more than season 1 just for Gary Oldman stealing every single scene he is in.

The ending this week you could see coming a mile away.

Caught the first two episodes of season 2; it's such an eminently watchable show, and you gotta love this cast of total fúck-ups. They're all so lovably useless.

Min Harper though, easily the most hapless of the lot. He's so obviously out of his depth here but can't seem to accept it.

Also, feeling hungry after episode 2s tasty looking bacon sandwich, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The ending was a bit meh

The bloke is a twat in the way he handled it, he’s more MIA than MI5

The internet isn’t for everyone

Advertisement