Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend a low-profile but high-quality camera for cycling glasses?

Options
  • 28-04-2022 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭

Often times I get up to the summit of Howth to watch the sun rise and wish I had something to capture the beauty of the scene. I don't carry my phone with me, but I'd love if my glasses had a small camera in them I could just snap without having to stop and take out a camera, or take my hands off the bike.

I used to have a pair of those Lidl camera video glasses, which were ok, but a bit grainy.

Recommend anything else.. maybe even a small camera that can attach to the side of the glasses?

Don't want a helmet attachment, would prefer it's kept on the glasses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Wonder if those Facebook glasses are up the task.. though not sure they are sweat proof.. not to mention I don't have a FB account.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why don't you carry your phone with you? handy to have in an emergency.

I hate carrying mobile around in general.. just prefer me, the clothes, the bike... as nature intended

It's a popular route so if something were to happen, there'd be someone along in less than a min anyway

For the camera I'd prefer something easy I can just click without having to take out of a case etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭G1032

I never even knew there was such a thing as camera glasses. Mad. I want a pair now 😂

If you bought a paper over the weekend you'd have seen the full page ads facebook had to take out to educate people on the led lights so they know when they are being filmed by them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Your not going to get much smaller and discreet than a phone in your back pocket and I wouldn't be confident of the FB cameras in sports conditions, despite their price. I could of course be wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I just think that buying camera glasses for that single, limited use case is madness.

Don't be so limited in your use cases then 😜

Lots of uses for cameras on a bike... Aren't there threads on here about that already?

Camera glasses are obviously smaller and more discrete than a phone?

Just reach up and tap a button and your flying. No need to take both hands off the bar

Compare that to stopping bike, taking off gloves, reaching around to pull phone out of sweat-drenched back pocket, activating camera, taking shot, then putting phone back, zipper getting jammed, more fiddling, phone drops to ground...etc ;)

Found these babies..bit pricey but waterproof so you can rinse them off after. I could use them kite surfing too.

OHO 4K Ultra HD Water Resistance Video Sunglasses, Sports Action Camera with Built-in Memory and Polarized UV400 Protection Safety Lenses,Unisex Sport Design https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078RJHGFJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_i_WN8493NY6VFVQ1VNGMZG

Actually maybe water resistant instead of waterproof, but prob splash proof

I was thinking more that the ones I have seen in the past are not great quality (ALDI/LIDL/Amazon) and I have no idea if the newer FB ones would hold up to sports wear (or deal with sweat, stay in place etc.). I've never had much faf taking my phone out, for me it is a one handed operation but thats a personal thing. Anyway, if those produce the quality claimed, they should be fine although the only review I found on youtube it looks quite washed out. The reviewer gave it a glowing review but to me, the quality wasn't much better than the Aldi ones, although the pixel number was clearly higher. So if you are looking for high quality photos, I am not sure it is what you want, but it might be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭secman

Camera glasses just comes across creepy to me, not saying OP is creepy. You would want to be very careful with them , could cause a very very awkward scene 😬

I had a pair of the Lidl ones before.. they were actually not bad. Bit grainy, but video quality was sufficient enough that I was able to use it as evidence when Dublin Bus almost killed me

The quality of these ones.. particularly the 4K variant seems to be quite good in fact

https://youtu.be/qB281kOjrOw?t=673

no more creepy than someone having their phone out, pretending to look at it, but actually secretly taking photos of the person sitting in front of them 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Go on admit it, you just want to use them to take a discreet picture of an attractive a.rse you might see.

Apologies, I thought you wanted the camera for nice photos, they look grand for just video evidence etc. but I don't think I would call the images good quality. I may be a fake snob ( I know nothing about photography) though as my sister and brother in law (different sides) are photographers.

It does photos as well... though I think they are really just stills from the video. But they are decent enough (you can see still shots further in that youtube video)

trying to find the pic I uploaded to the "Pictures of Ugly" (or something) thread that was on here a few years back.. of the view I had of some bloke's arse showing through his ripped lycra 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭positron

I can't believe people have already forgotten the whole Google Glass debacle, and the term "glassholes".

PS: I think it was around 2010 or 2012? I was so excited about the idea of AR, VR capable smart glasses coming to market; to finally have cool matrix / terminator style glass etc, but within weeks of the Google Glass coming out, it died a painful death as folks were using it to look up and ID anyone they come across and became a big no-no and Google eventually pulled the plug. i can't believe Facebook and others have it out again - that's crazy!

Eventually decided to grab a pair of these camera glasses off Amazon. The shots, while obviously not going to compete with a high-end phone, are actually not bad once you add a bit of post-processing to em. The text appears a little jaggy due to some of the filtering I added.

The videos are amazingly clear given the form-factor, and you can see everything. Definitely handy for wearing in precarious situations.

Advertisement