Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Continuous dust problem in Apartment

Options
  • 22-04-2022 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi, I just moved into an Apt.in Knocknacarra, but it continuously fills up with dust (like insulating dust, grey color and fibrous) nobody seems to know what it is, but, I hover it all up and in two days the whole Apt. is covered again. Has anyone else got anything like this? Thanks

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

One possibility. When you switch on a cooker extractor or bathroom fan;

They pull air out of the apartment.

That air must be replaced, so it is pulled in via room vents ( or open windows).

A room vents might be faulty and not have a 4" pipe inside, but may be a pulling dust/insulation from internal wall.

A ceiling vent may have same issue in it not being connected to outside in a clean manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 star9

Thank you for the suggestion, the problem is in every room, not just the kitchen or bathrooms, and we'er thinking it may be somehow coming from the walls, also it's huge amounts of dust, even when the vents are closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

You really need to get an expert to check this dust problem it's going to become a health issue for you if you are breathing this dust night and day

Thank you, and you are right, we have just got someone coming to take a look to see if they can find the source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I was going to say as well if you turned off all the lights at night and got a bright led torch that would show the dust and if you went around the walls you might see where the most dust is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

That sounds very strange. Definitely not right.

We seem to have a lot of dust in our place but we got a couple of those €40 air filters and put them into the living room and bedroom. I was skeptical about how well they would work but they are excellent. One of them would clear the room of dust in an hour or two and then it stays on low after that.

I will certainly do this, it seems like a great idea, thank you

Post edited by star9 on

Thank you Jimmy, we were actually thinking about this. We have arranged for someone to come in and try to find the source, but if they can't find it, your idea sounds good. Where did you buy them and do you know if they if they are very expensive to run? Also, have you managed to find the source of the dust in your home? Thanks Mar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Got them on Amazon. Here is the link.

Dont mind anything about them filtering virus particles if you read that in the reviews. I doubt very much that they do. But they are excellent for dust.

They cost very little to run. Probably the same as 2 light bulbs. We leave one on all the time and the one in the bedroom we turn off at night and back on in the morning. They are very quiet on sleep mode, but not quiet enough for me to sleeo in the same room as one. They are also very loud when on full but we only had them on full one to see what it was like. Auto mode usually has it just ticking over very quietly.

Get one for a start and see how it goes. Great thing about Amazon is you can just send it back if you dont like it.

• Advertisement

Thank you so very much for all this info. If the man can't find the source, we will definitely get one of these to try out. Again, thank you Jimmy for taking the time to help me. Mar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Deeec

Could you put up a picture of the dust?

Is the apartment a new build? When we moved into our new build house we had dust for a few weeks- seemed to be from plaster and then it just stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GalwayMan74

The dust inspector?

Did you know he's also the wallet inspector ?

To everyone above who has tried to help, thank you all so much.

We had someone out to look at it yesterday, and it is looking like it is a building problem, with constant building 'debris' coming out under the skirting-boards, either when wind inters the building or when the people walking upstairs disturb it. So, temp. blocked under skirting to see if this solves it. If anyone has other suggestions or similar experiences, please advise. Thank you all Mar.

Hi Deeec, We had someone out to look at it yesterday, and it is looking like it is a building problem, with constant building 'debris' coming out under the skirting-boards, either when wind inters the building or when the people walking upstairs disturb it. So, temp. blocked under skirting to see if this solves it. Maybe this was your problem also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JuliaB

THanks star9 for starting this topic. we had a similar problem on a first floor apartment after they put an insulation into the walls .it was probably a cellulose insulation, which causing a dust. I am afraid it would not stop until they remove this. do you have a similar?

Post edited by JuliaB on

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JuliaB

Post edited by JuliaB on

Advertisement