Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Julian Assange cannot be extradited - Oh yes he can...

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Gatling wrote: »
    Lol

It's still happening on a daily basis around the world , funny how it hasn't changed a damn thing.

Snowden is just a common garden thief nothing more ,assange is coward with an ego who's not threating suicide to get out of jail ,pack him up so ,he end up in a prison cemetery where he will be forgotten about

Would you be happier if the world didn't know that the US was spying on its own citizens, were shooting innocents from a helicopter gunship etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Would you be happier if the world didn't know that the US was spying on its own citizens, were shooting innocents from a helicopter gunship etc?

The world has always known about countries spying on their own the fact some people claim to be shocked by it is more shocking ,
    **** happens in war , guarantee the same people would be quick to deny chemical weapons attacks in Syria , journalists and doctors regularly flying off balconies in Moscow ,
    Nothing changed or will change **** happens in war do you actually think someone leaking America did that and America did that will change ,or major players stop spying on their own populations no .
    Go stay anywhere in Russia guarantee every hotel ,b&b ,houses , apartments are wired for video surveillance , China is the same ,
    So what changes absolutely nothing other than a handful of people thinking we got one up on America

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Gatling wrote: »
    The world has always known about countries spying on their own the fact some people claim to be shocked by it is more shocking ,
    **** happens in war , guarantee the same people would be quick to deny chemical weapons attacks in Syria , journalists and doctors regularly flying off balconies in Moscow ,
    Nothing changed or will change **** happens in war do you actually think someone leaking America did that and America did that will change ,or major players stop spying on their own populations no .
    Go stay anywhere in Russia guarantee every hotel ,b&b ,houses , apartments are wired for video surveillance , China is the same ,
    So what changes absolutely nothing other than a handful of people thinking we got one up on America

Without proof, it's just an allegation that countries are engaged in illegal activity. And an allegation is just an allegation. Assange and Snowdon gave us proof that it was going on. I don't see that as a bad thing.

Your attitude seems to be that if something has always happened, then let it happen. There's nothing we can do about it. I don't agree. If every single instance of illegal activity that America/Russia/China/Ireland carried out was exposed, eventually you would get less and less of it.

So no, I don't agree with your view of Snowdon and Assange. They may not be nice people, but I think they did the world a service. It may not change much, but makes people more aware of what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

BattleCorp wrote: »

Your attitude seems to be that if something has always happened, then let it happen. There's nothing we can do about it. I don't agree. If every single instance of illegal activity that America/Russia/China/Ireland carried out was exposed, eventually you would get less and less of it.

My attitude is nothing changed ,the world didn't change , America has gone completely potty which will add up to increased surveillance of the population there and elsewhere ,east Germany is a prime example a large number of the population were actively spying on behalf of the stasi , when Germany unified do you think everyone just stopped spying for security agencies ,
    Oh look someone leaked some information about America yes but it's nothing that was always known ,did America stop doing it no ,they just moved on with the next program

Assange and Snowden will be forgotten about as this hide away or eventually end up in US prison cells ,they would probably get more respect if they did stand up in American courts and layout all the evidence they have rather than hiding out in foreign countries,

America is slightly better than the Chinese? good one.

In any case Europeans are wising up to the US being our enemy, big shift happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Assange showed us what's going on on the ground , eg the us army can shoot innocent people in certain country's, if they lunch rockets from drones often innocent people are killed , but these people are classed by the army as enemy combatents also it turns out alot of the charges made against Assange were based on evidence given by a known fraudster and criminal recruited by the fbi which turned out to be untrue and were simply made up to help the case go forward

Eg assange did not engage in hacking he gave certain documents to journalists which exposed serious war crimes

He's a whistle-blower who pointed our serious war crimes carried out by the US military and how it was covered up by the government I don't know why this case is not getting much coverage in UK papers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Ah I think in the case of Snowden in particular his treatment is unfair. He is charged under the espionage act yet committed no espionage from what I can tell, he did not collude or sell information to a foreign power, rather he gave information to newspaper journalists. He claims he would return and face trial if they allowed him a defense of public interest, rather than the slam dunk of proving he leaked information to the public which he freely admits. If he arrived in the us he would not be given a platform to defend himself, he would be immediately incarcerated and denied access to the press. He would never be released. All this for exposing nsa programs that go against the public interest in a democratic country. If you had a referendum on the nsa tomorrow I wonder would the American people choose to end it? Is the governmental apparatus not "for the people"? The nsa record everything and with no expiration set on how long they can keep the data. They don't just record suspicious activity or people of interest. It is clearly against the interest of the people that they are supposed to serve and should be discontinued. Comparing the us to east Germany is pretty sad, it's childish in general to give yourself a free pass because the other guy is doing it, that is not what leaders do.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭backwards_man

Unless I have been totally mis informed about this case I do not see what grounds there were to extradite him or even charge him with anything. Chelsea Manning was the one who broke the law in the US, similar to Snowden. She did her time in jail. Wikileaks ownes no allegiance to the US, published the material from Europe, did not collude with any foreign power to get the material, did not pay for it. The UK is not even part of the EU anymore so what skin do they have in the game. Assange and the other wikileaks employees did the world a service by highlighting the illegal acts of the US military during the war. Surely this is whistleblowing stuff not espionage or terrorism.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thread title updated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

They are charging him with conspiracy to break into a US computer by getting a password. Its so BS but they are making an example out of him to dissuade others from revealing their crimes in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

lot of theories doing the rounds on Twitter

one being that the brits done a deal with the americans wherby the investigation into Prince Andew will now be dropped on account of the british having given up Assange ?

I could easily believe such a thing

• same, but I doubt it’s true. If Andy can walk free so the yanks get WikiLeaks man there’s gonna be WWIII 😂

and anyway, I imagine that would be a fairly one sided type deal. The US won’t give up on convicting one criminal to catch a different one (especially when Andrew prob has some stories to tell them about his dealings with Epstein)

#FreeAssange

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭backwards_man

Didn't they add multiple espionage charges to that charge of accessing a computer? Even if it were just that charge of trying to break into a computer why would the UK extradite him? This just feels all wrong. Snowden I get why they went after him, (I personally think he is a hero) - he broke the law as a military contractor and is a US citizen. Same with Manning, again there is a law that says you cannot do what he did as a US citizen and US soldier on US soil. But the Assange case is the US reaching overseas to a non US citizen, not on US soil, who on the surface broke no laws other than what you could apply to any journalist who has a scoop about unlawful acts during wars, and there have been many of those, so why does Sweden and the UK assist?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Meanwhile, Prince Andrew carries on without a care. No Justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

a sad day for the freedom of journalists.

#free julian the journalist.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• It took since January to land on this verdict I’m not sure why you would assume he gets away with it?

Believe it or not investigations can take a while..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There is no conceivable process via which Andrew will ever be extradited to the US, even if he were being sought on criminal charges, and not a civil case. The corruption in the system would insure the criminal chrages never arose in the first place. The UK extradition treaty was sold on the basis it would be used mainly for cases of suspected or terrorism. So far it's mainly been used to extradite people with Aspergers (2 so far and one failed attempt), some investment bankers and some small business people.

Given the incidence of Aspergers in the community - 1:200 - the grossly disproportionate rate at which they are being targeted for extradition to the US is a disgrace and there ought to be people over there raising serious questions about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

take back control.

no more bloody foreigners telling UK what to do.

.... except the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

Its been 3 years since the arrest and imprisonment of this man for doing what any good investigative journalist should do and that is expose the lies of governments around the world. What right has western governments got, to go around the world preaching about human rights and press freedoms when they have this man locked up without trial for just doing his job?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,626 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The order, which Assange has the right to appeal, heads to the desk of British Home Secretary Priti Patel, who will have the final say on whether to grant the extradition. It follows the British Supreme Court’s refusal last month to grant Assange permission to appeal against a lower court’s ruling that he could be extradited to the United States.

Described by one of Assange’s lawyers as a “brief but significant moment in the case,” the development Wednesday is the latest blow for Assange, who faces trial under the Espionage Act in the United States. The 50-year-old Australian faces 18 U.S. criminal charges stemming from WikiLeaks’ publishing of thousands of diplomatic cables and classified files in 2010. Assange would stand trial in federal court in Northern Virginia.

If convicted, Assange faces up to 175 years in prison. He has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing.

Assange’s attorneys have four weeks to file submissions to Patel before she is expected to rule on the extradition, according to the AP. Mark Summers, one of Assange’s lawyers, told the court that they planned to submit “serious submissions” to Patel, according to the Guardian.

If Patel signs the extradition order, Assange could try to challenge the ruling through legal review — a process that involves a judge’s looking at the legitimacy of a public body’s decision.

Context. Folks will recall the Swedes dropped their sex crime case against Assange in late 2019. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assange_v_Swedish_Prosecution_Authority#:~:text=Investigation%20dropped%5Bedit%5D-,The%20prosecution%20announced%20that%20the%20investigation%20had%20been%20dropped%20as%20of%2019%20November%202019.,-%5B5%5D

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

How is he been held now by the British? He hasn't faced any trial yet in 3 years. This is like something out of North Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,626 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There was a reason for that.

including,

the judge has ordered him to be kept in jail because he is considered a flight risk, having skipped bail and fled to the Ecuadorean embassy in 2012 to avoid extradition to Sweden where he was wanted at the time to answer questions on alleged sex crimes. 

Advertisement