Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piers Morgan's uncensored

• 24-04-2022 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭

Piers Morgan has a new show starting on Monday April 25th called Piers Morgan uncensored, It will be shown on Sky channel 526, Virginia media 627, Freeview channel 237 and Freesat channel 217. It will also be shown on Fox nation and Sky news Australia.

While I'm not a huge fan of Morgan there's no denying he will get decent ratings and some huge names on his show which will be on weeknights at 8 o'clock.

The first show is an interview with Donald Trump, unless you live under a rock I'm sure the majority of us have seen the promo for this where Trump allegedly walks out in a huff (depending on who you believe).

Will anyone be watching? Is there anyone in particular who you would like to see Morgan interview? Will this be fair and Frank interviewing by Morgan (as he claimed in a BBC interview this morning) or will it be a mirror image of the Tucker Carlson method?

Post edited by Timberrrrrrrr on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Will I watch? Absolutely not. Not even for the leering value of two colossal a-holes fawning over each other. I think Morgan is the worst kind of right wing grifter: the one who can give it but can't take the smallest criticism or pushback. A bitter, callous man who showed the public how bitter he was for having an attractive woman ghost him.

Just for his time at the helm of the tabloids should have sunk the man's career, yet here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I agree with everyone you say, but there's no denying that he will attract some quality names to interview and has no fear of asking the hard questions of his guests. I think it will be part good interviews and part car crash TV, I suppose time will tell.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,010 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Looks like an attempt to imitate GB News though with a presenter people actually know. It'll be standard intellectual comfort food for tabloid readers who can't tolerate any sort of dissent.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've no desire to watch Morgan interview anyone. Thankfully it seems most people share a view similar and they chose to watch something else such as Richard Osman's House of Games...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,194 ✭✭✭✭Penn

There'll always be a big bump for new, highly publicised shows like this, and an even bigger bump when it comes to an interview with Trump and how they advertised that he storms off etc.

It's a strong start in terms of ratings, but it'll be interesting to see what the ratings are like in three months when he's interviewing Jim Davidson for the third time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Not comparable at all considering BBC is freeview.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

Two odious men talking nonsense but thankfully it won't be as portrayed on the Jimmy Kimmel show...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh but I'm sure Morgan will have no trouble sharing with us his opinions on "woke" politics and why he, a wealthy cosseted white man, is best placed to tell us how the world works.

I know I've said it already, but it bares repeating: this is a supposed titan of free-speech, anti-wokism and general alpha-male'ness who stormed off a set over tepid criticism for trashing a woman (20 years his junior) who wouldn't go on a date with him. Money truly doesn't buy you class.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

• Advertisement

Not what I'm saying but if that's what you wanna take away from a criticism of Morgan's unearned perspective, then fill your boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

This is the first I'm hearing of Talk TV. So it's TV for people who listen to Talk Sport?

How is this any different to GB News?

It isn't, but like GB News it's obviously hoping to glom onto the "silent majority" fallacy that there's this giant, simmering audience waiting for "anti woke" style ranting and nothing else of substance. It's just another echo chamber, albeit with a larger "star" celebrity at its centre than Nigel Farage. Morgan has at least shown himself a tiny bit more capable of pivoting to fluff (that was 90% of Good Morning Britain), so maybe he can make a better go of it)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,561 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It is even available on SKy Ireland, I see no channel 526 on Sky

Piers is a tell it like it is type of guy, you can't label him ''Woke or a snowflake, even though he'd promote mask wearing, and the vaccine when it was the thing to do, you can't call him a leftest as he promotes the right for everyone to speak as they wish, to have an opinion, like JK Rowling, you can't call him far right as he'll bash all those crazies who want to go back to 1942.

So what is he?? He's what a lot of people should, live and let live and tell it like it is.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

So is Talk TV so that's not a reason at all .

I'd agree in general terms though , "Light Entertainment" will always get more viewers than a news program and even more so a program on a dedicated "news channel"

The fair comparisons would be with GB News , Sky News etc.

400k isn't bad , it's more than Farage got for his interview with Trump a while back on GB News , but without rehashing the whole thread that we had on GB News a good while back , Dedicated News channels are never profitable and will never compete with "regular" channels in terms of viewership and revenues

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

TalkTV is freeview. Channel 237.

Considering that five years ago, Piers Morgan interviewing Donald Trump on a Monday night would have easily absolutely annihilated everything else, this can only be considered a massive failure. The last big current affairs/political interview was Harry & Megan, which got 11m viewers.

Be wary of the commentary about this being successful. It's a Murdoch propaganda Inc channel, so all of the Murdoch media will be fawning over it.

Certainly wouldn't call him one sided either. But having said that, I don't like him one bit, even though I agree with some of what he says.

I think the "tell it like it is" definition is giving him a little too much credit. I still haven't forgiven him for his journalistic malpractices when in charge of the tabloids.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

"Live and let live"? Why won't he leave Meghan Markle alone then?

In fairness to him, it is nice to see someone get under Trump's skin, if that promo is anything to go by.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It is not (yet) cleared in Ireland, it may be in future. GB licences are no use here since Brexit.

Post number 4 doesn't exactly show his belief in Free Speech to extend to enabling commentary on YouTube videos; while his hounding of Megan Markle does not back up any claim he's live and let live; quite the opposite. Ghost him on a date and he'll try to destroy you it seems.

His entire history in journalism, including hounding of some personalities like Ian Hislop would also show him a callous, morally bankrupt individual.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I doubt it's been added to the EPG in Ireland yet , but you could tune it in on FreeSat/SaorSat if you really wanted.

In the UK it'll be on Sky etc. and again they can manually tune it in one FreeView or FreeSat.

It's not a subscription service at all.

Piers Morgan definitely has his own opinions and isn't afraid to state them regardless of the "side" it might be viewed from , but he absolutely is a "snowflake" - He is incredibly thin-skinned when it comes to criticism as evidenced by his multiple instances of "storming off" TV shows when he doesn't like the questions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,010 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No, he isn't. He's just enabler of the dumbing down of debate by peddling victimhood, outrage and intellectual comfort to conservatives. He's a journalist the same way WWE is a sport. I remember when he interview Trump just after he authorised a series of bombings in Syria. He said he hadn't time to bring it up but somehow found time to present him with a custom Arsenal jersey.

He wouldn't be miles apart from someone I could respect but his sycophancy, his cowardice and his snowflake temperament make him just another outrage merchant.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Kinda looking forward to the Carlson interview just to watch two narcissistic idiots trying to outdo each other

• Registered Users Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Tucker Carlson and Piers Morgan verbally fellating each other. Must see television.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,008 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The wording of that tweet clearly indicates what this will be. Lots of moaning about apocryphal cancel culture, whining about perceived victimhood and no tough questions.

You'd think people would get bored of such anodyne programming.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,186 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i just saw the opening credits on twitter and i think they were genuine? they are toe-curling.

"I'm being cancelled!", screams millionaire celebrity with a global media presence and book-deals.

It's like the vacuous concept of the establishment. It's not about power and wealth, it's about culture and opinion. Morgan can't be the elite because he wails on and on about being cancelled despite possessing enormous wealth and influence.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Piers - good to someone of Irish extraction doing well!

Advertisement