Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can we start a Scam baiting thread ?

• 12-08-2021 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Another widow with cancer contacted me (With a loaded ATM card in her arse pocket) and wants to give me millions to help needy children. With the wit and sarcasm in

after hours it could be quite amusing. Will I start ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Dunno will you?

It is unclear what you are asking people to do and judging by the time stamp of the OPs post I suspect it was a drunken post that seemed like a good idea at the time :)

If you are hoping people here will contact scammers to bait them well - I appreciate the sentiment. After all every minute a scammer is engaged with a baiter is a minute that scammer is not exploiting an actual victim. And there are people on You Tube and Twitch who make their entire careers out of baiting scammers for the enjoyment of all. Some of them remarkably successful financially too.

That said though - they know what they are doing. Suggesting that people who might be relatively ignorant about the technology and more should contact these people is a bit risky. Some of those scammers are idiots following a script - but some are tech savvy and malicious too. And by getting the average joe to engage with them there is some risk of suffering. They might contact a number to bait the scammer and find out later it was a seriously premium number and they have a massive phone bill. Or they might unwittingly expose some personal information or IP address or other detail that the scammer could exploit. They might click a link that installs a trojan horse or other virus. And so on.

And sometimes even just following the scammers phone number or link or whatever gives the scammer click through money so you end up financing the scum.

So all in all - while baiting a scammer seems fun and justifiable - like a tame form of vigilantism - I would suggest leaving well alone and let the "professional" entertainers or law enforcement people do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Go for it, OP. It can be a bit of craic and you are helping to waste the scammers time in the process.

Ive done it to entertain myself before, and posted one or two of the conversations to Boards https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2056779897/scammers-on-donedeal/p1.

Post edited by SchrodingersCat on

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cullelo

Hi, i searched ip adress linking and found this.

Looking for help.

Have a nusiance of a stalker....long story. She uses diff profiles to annoy me,friends and anyone. Very smart. My question is, is there a way to link all the diff profiles from facebook to her ip adress....which i have....please, no time wasters i really need help and will pay. As this will then be used when bringing to court. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Just by clicking a link sent by a scammer could install malware on your pc, if a scammer contacts you you should end the call, do not click on spam emails, they use info they get from hacker forums, unless you are a qualified tech expert you should not deal with scammers, what they want is your bank account info, credit card no , there's plenty of people doing this already, look on YouTube search scam waste time etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

If you are getting stalked you can report it to the Gardaí they can contact Facebook and ask for info on fake profiles etc there s a law against cyber stalking passed a few years ago

It's such a shame this thread failed- what went wrong? Can we have an enquiry?

Advertisement