Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Games with Basebuilding

• 24-04-2022 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭

Getting an itch for an action game with some good base building included. I'd reinstall Fallout 4 ( really enjoyed the settlement side of it) but game has not aged well, looked bad enough when first released.

Any other recommendations of an fps/ 3rd person game where you have a base/hq that you can upgrade. I remember Far Cry New Dawn having an interesting one, the manor of Assassin's creed 2, etc.

I've heard Dragon Age Inquisition has good one but i tried dragon age origins and couldn't get into it.

Ideally, I'd play Fallout 76 as that has great base building but anytime I've tried, you had to buy pieces from the store that caused ridiculous real money.

Subnautica is another topic base building game but haven't found anything like that since.

Comments

No Man's Sky would be the one the immediately springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Valheim is another one ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sorry, meant to say PlayStation only. Yeah i tried No Mans Sky before but got stuck on an early quest, looked like the place i had to go glitched into the map. Must go back to it and try figure out a way past it as the Basebuilding in that did sound interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was gonna say Breath of the Wild where you can build a village.

Is it basebuilding as in somewhere to defend and all or just want a homebase you can add to, furnish and decorate. If you just want somewhere to furnish, think Gravity Rush has that.

• Advertisement

Bit of both really. Dunno what it is but i find it really adds to a game. Like The Witcher 3, that house you get in the dlc was such a nice touch. Building it like Fallout or Subnautica would be ideal but also enjoy getting a rundown place and improving it as the game goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

The new saints row is going big on this with tons of options, I think it’s out in a couple of months. The previous ones (2 and 3 I think) had some decent options for building up your base too from what I can remember.

If you want to try something very different, give Suikoden 2 for the original PlayStation a go on an emulator, it’s probably my favourite example ever of this kind of feature. It’s a JRPG where you can recruit over 100 characters, all of whom can be in your battle party but most of whom are more valuable for the contributions they bring to the castle you build up, opening their own shops and other services and eventually turning a derelict ruin into a bustling hive of activity.

I loved the base in Saints Row 2 and definitely looking forward to the new one coming out, especially after the recent trailer during the base customisation.

Suikoden came up in my searches alright, might see it added with the new ps plus premium coming out in June that will give access to ps1 and ps2 games.

Fallout 4 with the DLC, plenty more building options in the DLC. Plus there's mods. Who cares about graphics?

Other options are maybe The Forest, 7 Days to Die, Minecraft.

No Man's Sky is a good shout. It's rare enough that a building spawns in that fashion. But I have noticed the bugs creeping back into that game with each new update.

I reinstalled FO 4 last year (i think for the very reason of base building) and i remember thinking how bad it looked and played. I know there are mods on the PlayStation now but definitely not expecting to the extent of pc.

The dlc's are half price at the moment on psn, season pass is full price but the goty edition is 13 which is basically the season pass for me anyway. I remember not enjoying the game at launch but i have the plat and i only do that for games i love so FO4 is a bit of a strange one for me :)

Might throw it on for another go and if it peaks my interest, get the goty edition for a bit more content.

As for NMS, is a weird one, I'll go back and try find my way into the map point as it does seem like a game I'd enjoy and it has a ton of content now. Thanks for the feedback lads.

• Advertisement

If you go back to Fallout and intend to do settlements, put 6 points into charisma so you can get the Local Leader perks so you can make supply lines and build shops, etc.

Hangman's Alley is my personal favorite location because you're in central Boston, right in the thick of it, but you are limited for space there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Loads on the pc, but not sure about playstation. Ark has a decent amount of content iirc.

If you like Subnautica, you will probably like No Man's Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Rust is on playstation I think?

There's Terraria too, I enjoyed building a place to house all the NPC and crafting stations and armor stands. It got an update recently but haven't been back to it in 4 or 5 years now so it's likely a different game altogether with all the new content.

Started up No Mans Sky today on a fresh save file and think it's gonna be the one :) Will check out the other recommendations as well though, thanks!

I saw a thing today that Mafia 3 is supposed to have a good one as part of dlc where you rebuild the bar, upgrade it and get missions from it. Sounds fun but damn, that's one of the most boring games I've ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I restarted no man's sky at the weekend too. Along with days gone 😃

I need to have a game or two always on the go that I can slip into.

I've wrapped up a few long campaign games in the last few weeks and I'm in that inbetween space now. Like when you finish a box set and can't figure out what to do now.

So you just go back and rewatch something you know you like.

Days Gone 2 was rumoured to have bsde building :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,818 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

The Riftbreaker

Advertisement