Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

Are the chocolate and vanilla protein pudding yogurts still available? Didn't see them in my local at the weekend, wonder have they been pulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I hope not, I've been buying them for months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

They were o teh LIDL plus app last week so probably sold out fast

They have a new 1kg tub of 100% peanut butter by Sun Valley - anyone tried it?

https://sunvalleyshop.co.uk/collections/peanut-butter/products/smooth-natural-peanut-butter-1kg

It's only a fiver but reluctant to commit to a whole kilo in case it's not great. The ALDI equivalent is good but nothing exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Darrener

After a number of weeks with no stock of Shark razor blades (5 blade system which are excellent) Lidl have started to stock a new 5 blade system. I took them for a test drive last night. I am follicly challenged so I wet shave my face and head together. I ended up taking 2 chunks out of my head with the blades so beware. My first impression is the new blades a very poor in comparison to Shark. Back to Gillette for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

The Dublin Fit ready meals are gone up from €4 to either €4.19 or €4.29 I noticed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭lucalux

Hey thanks for the heads up on this one. I wondered about whether it would measure up to the Aldi 1kg tub, so I bought the Lidl version yesterday.

My verdict is, I prefer the Aldi one. I always get the crunchy one, and while it is 100% peanut butter, and nothing else, the difference, I feel is in the roasting of the peanuts. (maybe the quality or source of them too?)

The Aldi one has a nuttier/sweeter and more caramelised taste (to me), whereas the Lidl one feels less peanutty, and a bit more mild tasting.

It looks to be lighter in colour, and the nuts I think are in bigger 'chunks' (I think I saw a few half peanuts in the tub while stirring).

I always add sea salt to the 100% peanut butter when I get the tub, (imo it needs a little) and did the same here so I could compare.

On the whole, it's nice, but I prefer the roast of the Aldi one. Still great value though.

Thanks lucalux for the very thorough review - I can see you are a peanut butter connoisseur like myself 😁

The stronger taste the better for me - so I think I will stick with the Aldi one over this new Lidl one, or when I feel flush the deep roast manilife and meridian. The deeper roast the better!

I think the Aldi one is just rebranded meridian to be honest (and meridian is sometimes on offer for 4-5 in SuperValu also)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭lucalux

Haha, I did think, "Is this too much detail?" But I wanted to know too, before I committed, so I left it all there 😅

I agree that the Aldi is very much Meridian-like and I had my suspicions it was a rebrand of theirs.

Their roast is much better but you know sometimes that varies even within a brand. On today's tub it's losing to Aldi.

I think I'll still use up the Lidl one (I have to now anyway!) but try to use a bit more of that for baking, or the dogs treats or whatever, and stock up on the Aldi next time for on my toast and the things where it really would be noticeable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I tried the new dark chocolate ginger biscuits yeaterday and they were a real treat. Perfect with a tea/coffee - https://offers.kd2.org/en/gb/lidl/pgBEg/

• Advertisement

I've been taste testing the different dark chocolate bars in LIDL for the past few weeks and came out with a surprise winner - the Fin Carre 74% in the brown wrapper - https://balticfresh.com/finest-dark-chocolate-fin-carre-74-cocoa-100-g

I found the 85% too bitter and didn't feel like much of a treat.

Love the 85% guess it depends on how dark you like it LOL!

The Madagascar 70% single origin is superb imo, if going for something sweeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That single origin, 70% is amazing! Silky smooth.

The posh bourbon white chocolate is fantastic, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I was going to post about the milk chocolate version of the same biscuits after discovering them last weekend! OMG if you like ginger they are delicious, heavenly :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

The single origin dark easter eggs are fabulous ecuador 70% and madagascar 66%

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Anyone seen Bitterol (not the spritz) still on the shelves around Dublin? It was LIDL version of Aperol, good in cocktails.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Lots of new products in store this week for Belgian week. Can't remember them having this themed week before. Some item listed below but there's more in store -https://www.lidl.ie/leaflet/thur-21st-wed-27th-april-2022-ie/view/flyer/page/10

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I picked up one of the Brugge cheeses on a whim. It's nice, not going to win any awards, but very edible. But nutty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

New premium brand nissin curry or chicken noodles available. Pretty tasty and cheap cheap cheap. 69c

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I bought those stroopwaffel ice cream sandwiches and they're pretty disappointing. The wafers are way too hard to be eaten with the ice cream, which melts really quickly. The wafers are also very bland, I guess because the flavour is muted due to the cold.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

You've just reminded me, I bought the conconut macaroons last week they were pretty good. Not that you can really go wrong with coconut macaroons :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Shouldn't have said anything. Went today and all sold out😭

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Ben Done

Eating lots of nice salady bits in the warm weather and Lidl have some great stuff..

The Deluxe Chickpea, Carrot and Red Quinoa, and the Smoky Bean and Grain salads are lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I like the gravadlax salmon with honey and mustard sauce, with Lidl cream cheese and poppyseed bagel. Very posh!

They have new Lemon marmalade in Lidl that is quite nice. A little pricier compared to other preserves at €2.49 but there's a nice bite to it for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

The sour cream and onion lentil curls are a really nice snack

6 packs costs less than €2 iirc

Post edited by SmallTeapot on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Another recommendation from me!

The Lidl Deluxe Scottish Selection Premium Belgian Chocolate Brownies are delicious!

€2.49 for 5 :)

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/food/food-reviews/g33321693/best-chocolate-brownies/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I really like their minute steaks. I've been buying them on and off the last few months and I've not come across a bad one.They're quick and easy for weekday dinners and taste lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I really like that lemon marmalade too, it has ginger in it. It’s great to see it is on the shelves permanently now, beside all the other marmalades. I’m just finishing off the batch of Sicilian lemon marmalade that Lidl had in one of the promotions for Sicilian food last year.

• Advertisement

LIDL doing graze oat boost dupes now - 1.99 vs 2.99 for the graze ones

Advertisement