Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Securing an outlying farm

• 23-04-2022 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭

With the good weather there has been a spate of thefts and suspicious activity in the area.

We have a farm which is about 30min away. Neighbour uses the handling facilities to load. Not a problem.

I'm in the mind of setting up a camera for the stock houses there and also one for security in the yard.

Apart from that, what measures can be taken? I was thinking of padlocking gates, but then neighbour is affected and I would be concerned that it is inviting curious people to see what is in there.

The big machinery I think is okay as it would take a bit of shifting to get at them. Stock, generator and a few things like that would be main concern, but I'd be very annoyed if I knew unwanted people were in the farm regardless of whether they got anything or not.

Are those hoods covering padlocks any good?

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Dunedin

If getting pad locks, just give the neighbour his own key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭epfff

Lock will only create interest and keep out honest man.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Paul Pogba

Camera, SIM card and app, I use it regularly, not on a farm mind you but on a house my parents lived in that’s not used anymore but is important to me for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Do you need a power supply ? - an out farm unlikely to have el supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

My farm is 20-30 minutes away from where I live. I used to have the gate locked. However I did up the old farmhouse and rented it. This has added good security to the place. I have a steel container as a tool store.

Tenant closes the gate on the way out in the morning and last thing at night. If they are in and out like myself they do not bother. Preventing snooping around is the best defence

If you lock it get a lockbox. Came accross a handy one you hang on a bar that I still have on the gate

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭hopeso

It's not easy to prevent snooping around now that drones are being used for the purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Going to lift some tools from it today. Will get a stronger lock during week and see about getting a shroud to cover padlock to prevent prising it off.

Everything is insured, so no problems that way. If they really want in they can just unscrew the tek screws holding the tin onto the door and that's them in. You can really just make it not worth the hassle/risk to get in.

Anyone got shroud covering their locks that can fire up a pic to see how to fab them and any changes they would make to improve them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭cute geoge

You can get security locks that buzz you when tampered with ,this with a camera you could see whats going on at least

Although this type are on shed doors, preventing a bolt cutter cutting off the padlock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

A recip saw will cut through the round bar.

A jobbox bolted to the ground for small things like tools, fencers etc.

I was in a farmyard this winter, going into it you would think nothing interesting was there. Until I saw a shed where a contractor stores all his silage gear. You've to make a place secure, without making it look like there is valuables there. Park machinery in a way that blocks access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Store within a store is always worthwhile. Makes is harder and takes more time to try to get in. Relying on one lock on a 0.6mm sheeted door is going to do nothing. Drop bolts on doors and look to lock doors on the inside of you can

When he gets through he'll sure be sore

Cause there ain't a dang thing in there

The machinery is behind a load of stuff that would need to be moved by a loader. Other then stock, not much else of value there now.

In two minds whether to put a camera outside. I'll need to add two for stock inside but unsure whether an external camera would be a deterrent or an incentive. No electricity on farm, so would need to be battery powered setup.

Improved padlocks and shrouds will be going in.

The Reolink Go PT I have is battery powered, works with a Three, 48.ie or other sim cards, solar panel to top it up, PIR alerts so no power necessary. Two way talk feature which I only use to get a movement out of a poorly animal that I'd have inside. Are you asleep or gone to the big pasture in the sky 🙄 Been in place since last November I think, and never went anywhere near a worry regarding charge. BUT.... I don't be watching it like YouTube, just when it sends an alert really.

Been thinking of other PIR sensors lately but know nothing about them. Have combination padlocks on pretty much everything.

We have combination padlocks too, but they are not great quality compared to some of the key locks. Seems to be difficult to get combination locks that is as secure as a key lock. Not sure if combination locks would suit a shroud either.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭YellowRattle

I have the same setup. Has worked fantastic. I use it daily to check for weather conditions as it’s a bit away on a mountain

For me they're the right tool for the job, I can change a lock # if I have a delivery I won't be around for and change it back again, also great not having a pocket full of keys - but you can get keyed alike locks, though I'm not sure in what number. I'm up in double figures with padlocks. Like was said they'll only keep out the honest lad anyway, I still like keeping him honest all the same. Remember reading about a study done years back, how people act if they believe they won't get caught doing something, not everyone will do their best.

Have two here, going to have one out watching stock after lambing is done, have them set stocked for it at the moment so too much area to cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭YellowRattle

I also have a couple of those apple tags on some machinery. The only upside on them getting stolen is being able to track them and catch them.

Do any of youse bother with cameras in your yards or do you feel that it pricks up the attention of dubious folk? Although, to be fair, if they are in the yard then they are already there with intent!

Looked at a Hikvision setup (got one of their PTZ in shed at home) and the price for a single fixed camera setup was over £1200GBP. Not be getting that.

Advertisement