Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Is the hybrid gti not already out in the form of the gte?

I don’t see prices coming down anytime soon. If anything, events in the last week will make things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yeah if it’s a hybrid you want, the GTE is there. It has similar looks / equipment levels as the GTI.

Prices are mad for sure, agree with carsfan, it’s going to get worse before it gets better. New car supply is as bad as it ever was last year. I really thought the chip shortage thing would be resolving by now but it seems it’s far from it.

There are main dealers here trying to take max advantage of it - there’s 3 or 4 used MK8 CS’s on Carzone for 64-66k, i.e. well above the RRP for a brand new one!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Kagawa

I actually forgot about the GTE, I’d prefer to have the GTI badge and history really if I could. I’ve been reading that the car companies are reducing R&D spending new ICE cars so I’d say the best days of the GTI may well be behind it unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭AutoMan79

Lads, is anyone using new Michelin PS5 tires? I need to upgrade soon so wondering has anyone got them yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

On paper it sounds like a marginal improvement all around with emphasis on improved wear, either way you'll be getting a quality tyre. Worst case scenario when reviews start coming out it might not be much improvement in certain areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭AutoMan79

The only downside as far i can see that there is no much of a rim protection as on PS4 but might be wrong. Anyway price wise no much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,949 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

hi folks,

Would anyone here have any reservations about buying in a japanese import gti, such as this

https://www.amcc.ie/car-details/?3039425

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 51,098 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think you lose some of the stock bhp on them due to them being setup for higher octane fuel sold in Japan so something to consider unless you live close to the border where you can pop over to fill with proper super unleaded. Also that one is missing a rear windscreen wiper arm. You might also want to check insurance on a Japanese GTi too in case there is an extra loading.

I'd rather this Irish Performance model for the same money to be honest:

https://www.carsireland.ie/3030979

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

Posted here this month last year looking advice on a MK7 GTI but never ended up buying. I'm looking very seriously at them now (going to view one tomorrow) and hope to buy one before the end of the month, the only issue I am having is insurance.

Is there any insurers/brokers that anyone here can recommend for a GTI? I'm sub 25 and have no NCB (have on commercial but doesn't count). I'm getting quotes but they are all €2500+ from the main brokers but have yet to try any smaller broker/insurers as quite honestly I don't know which to look at.

*thought I'd post this here rather than any other thread as it seems to be a GTI specific issue I'm having as insurance on any other car I got quotes for is much less.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You are young and have no NCB and then want to drive a performance car. Tbh with you you will not get insurance any cheaper than those quotes you received. Either drive another car and build up NCB or just pay the premium.

• Advertisement

That's a very good quote. My first year driving on my 1.0 Golf when I was 25 was €2,500 and it was only that price because I had an experienced named driver on the policy.

Unfortunately the likes of Liberty won't touch anyone under 30 on a hot hatch even though they were consistently the best quote for me for 4 years. Plus a lot of insurers like Post Insurance or FBD won't touch anyone without 3 years full license/NCB so your options are slim.

I'd take €2,500 if I was you. It will quickly go down. My Insurance went from €2,500 to €530 with 4 years NCB and that policy now has a provisional named driver. My first year NCB brought my policy down to €1,040.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

I was half thinking that, I was going to get another car (1.2 petrol mk7 seem to be the best on insurance for me for a golf) and build a no claims but I'd imagine I'd be yearning for a GTI like I have been for the last year so I'd rather just pull the plaster and pay the price (albeit the lowest I can find).

Most recent one was €2900 (I've no idea what causes the fluctuation, the only thing I can think is they are on different regs but same year mk7 gti). I'd imagine cause I put in that I have the use of another vehicle (a van) and have a very experienced driver added on too is the only reason it's returning a price online.

You're right on the premium lowering quickly too, if I plug in the same details to chill with a 1 year NCB the policy more than halfs in price.

Hopefully the one I see tomorrow is right and by some miracle I get a better quote ringing around on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PaulRyan97

I'm with Liberty for the past 4 years, my first insurance policy on my own at 21 was €1200 in 2018 on a Renault Clio. Switched to a 1.2tsi Golf Mk7 in 2019 and it went down to ~€800. 2020 on the same car it went to €730. 2021 swtched to a MK8 and it went down to €597. Just got my renewal quote in for 2022 and it's €499. So that's 25 years old, 4 year NCB with a 245bhp GTE. Not too bad to be honest.

Test of the Pilot Sport 5 and Eagle F1 AS6.

The CS meets its older sibling 😎

That's a lovely shade of yellow, not a bad looking car considering the Mk5 is nearly 20 years old and a lot of early 2000s cars are very plain.

It’s a very rare car. It’s a Pirelli Edition, came very late in the MK5 run, mechanically identical to the Edition30 but made in much fewer numbers, even fewer in this colour. This particular one was imported from Japan late last year and is in incredible condition all round. No expense spared on it since it landed here too.

Ah very cool. I'm not too familiar with any of the special editions! How are you getting on with the Clubsport?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What is the small bit of black on the CS on both front and rear around the arches where the bumpers connect. looks weird and just noticed it there.

• Advertisement

Some sort of EU regulation where the wheels can't stick out further than the body of the car. All the 19" wheel models have them. I don't think the 18" wheels have them as they're a 225mm tyre and 19" are 235mm.

Yep that’s it, EU regs. They’re only clipped on, so could be removed easily, I haven’t bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

Hi, my son is looking to buy his first car, it has to be automatic and petrol and has a budget of 15k. He likes the golf and there’s plenty of mk 7s for sale. Would there be any issues with either the 1.2 or 1.4 dsg around 2013-2014. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭User1998

Both engines are quite reliable in the mk7. They are all Japanese imports but that shouldn’t be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

This is probably the quietest this thread has ever been 😕

Anyway, I've a maintenance related question for any Mk 7 GTI/R owners with a DSG gearbox - when did you get your first DSG service carried out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

70KM on the R .

Think it was €220 in 2018 if thats any help

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Hi all!

I’m starting to look at changing cars and am looking at an auto petrol golf, 2018 - 2020ish age. Is there anything to look out for on these?

i love the look of the electronic dash on some of the newer models.

The only issue I'm aware of is the faulty turbo on the 1 litre. It sounds rattly on startup and when driving if speeding up a bit you'd hear it a little. Now when I say you'd hear it, I mean aftera year of owning the car I noticed something just sounded a bit off.

My girlfriend recently took mine off me, a 172 with just under 60k on it. Can't fault it, no issues since. Great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭SimpleDimple

thanks for that! Did you get the rattley turbo fixed or is it something that you can live with?

• Advertisement

The turbo was replaced under warranty. I was driving around like that for several months no bother while trying to get it sorted but you'd be driving around with a major component that could fail at any time so not ideal.

At a guess I'd say this effected 172/181 cars. It doesn't seem to be a widespread issue, two other people here had the same issue but there's only a handful of posts about it on other forums.

Advertisement