Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cut to speed limit might be on the cards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I have no problem with that, I have been doing economy driving for many years, and I am not a nuisance on the roads doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

And then Dublin airport has queues out the door for flights.

this is Green Party bolloxology, which they’ve always gone on with, before any war.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,074 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's a good job Ireland has a public transport network 2nd to none 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭mikeecho

It's a good job that the current speed limits are rigorously enforced 😂

I don't think there'll be much more enforcement of 110 on a motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I detest the Greens, but this happened previously before they existed. In 1979 the 60 mph limit was reduced to 55mph to save fuel during the oil crisis back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

An integral component of this nonsense is now surfacing regularly in each doom laden piece of reportage,focusing on getting people into sacrifice mode,which of course will not apply to members of the Oireachtas or associated quasi-criminal followers.

It comes as Minister for the Environment Eamon Ryan urged consumers in Ireland to take smaller efficiencies when it comes to cutting their daily use of power.

"That saves consumers' money, it reduces the amount of gas that we buy from the market and therefore revenues going to the Russian government," he told a meeting of the International Energy Agency, adding: "It's a step in the efficiencies direction where we need to go anyway."

Minister Ryan said all these smaller efficiencies could quickly add up.

Either this gentlemans policies stack up in their own right or they do not. Invoking Russia or Ukraine in any of this is just cringeworthy,particularly as it is aimed directly at those of us who would rather spray the man and his party acolytes with DDT or Jeyes Fluid,before giving him the benefit of taking any of his twittery seriously.

Even more anger inducing is his slavish buy-in to this little gem.....

The IEA released a ten-point plan yesterday including measures such as adjusting your boiler settings, driving more slowly and swapping short-haul flights for trains which it said could help consumers reduce their reliance on Russian energy and cut their bills.

It took Michael O Leary to point out the bleedin obvious,that Ireland being an island outlier to the European Continent does'nt actually have ANY road or rail links to ANYWHERE.

When will these eejits take their heads out of the clouds and embrace reality ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This applies to all fuels.

If you burn less you save money.

If the fuel gets more expensive you save even more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The reduction of the speed limit from 60 to 55 was in the US as far as I can recall. I don't remember it being done here but I'm open to correction.

You seem to think it's a bad thing which is puzzling.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It was.

The ROTR until the mid/late 1990s insisted NSL was still 55, even though it was restored in about 1990.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Amazing how those changes too until 2005 to come through with metric - the 55mph to 60mph was actually 1992 looking up the SI.

That 50mph for HGVs was also brought in in 1992, but was still less than 56mph on motorways that equivalent vehicles were allowed do in the UK, and it was ~2013 before we changed to that (90km/h by then)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Phil.x

This is just speak down talk from school teacher salad box ryan & Co.

Less wash more walking.

Less meat more salad.

Less car more bike.

Less road space for cars.

Less bnm briquettes more imported briquettes.

More charges for air travel on an island.

More charges for recycling.

Calls for Water charges.

Calls for Higher property tax.

Less coal, oil, and gas more expensive heating options that only the rich and stay at home social merchants get with grants from the carbon tax while I stay in arrears.

The list is never ending.

This breed of green need to be flushed out.

There is just a slight problem with this proposal. We don't have NSL anymore, except when signed on some side roads where signing 80 would be ridiculous. The intent is definitely going to be cutting 120 and possibly 100 limits, not the 80 on a subset of roads. In '79 they just need to promote that the NSL sign now meant 55.

Replacing lots, and lots, and lots of plastic faced metal speed limit signs would have to be quantified for its resources impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Greens wanted to cut speed limits in 2020

The sixteen largest ships emit the same amount of CO2 as all the world's cars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

dropping from 120km/h to 100km/h on the motorway between dublin and galway means the journey would take 1h48m rather than 1h30m, so not exactly onerous; probably would save at least 20% in fuel i suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

It's just too simplistic.

The most "efficient" speed for me on a motorway is 115kmh.

That includes time which has to have a value.

The biggest waste of fuel is needless use of brakes due to poor driving manner as in cars aggressively accelerating only to meet traffic and hit the brakes.

"Easy does it" would be a better campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

My first car in the US was an late 80s Honda and it had 55 marked in red on the speedometer, every other number was in white.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Too right. I'm tired of going at 20kmh behind a tractor. I can go at 15kmh no problem 😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Replacing lots, and lots, and lots of plastic faced metal speed limit signs would have to be quantified for its resources impact.

i'd say if the drop was successfully implented, the resource impact would be 'paid for' within less than a day. that's an absolute finger in the air guess though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭JayPS 2288

Don’t forget that the kinetic energy of the car is E=1/2 mv^2.

The energy consumption increases by the square of the velocity of the car. The kinetic energy is 70% if driving at 100 km/h rather than 120.

That’s some fuel saving for little extra time.

And the calculation from @magicbastarder seems to be based on the assumption of driving flat out at 120 km/h from point to point. Much of that journey will involve slowing for tolls, stop start in towns. Reducing by a modest 20 km/h will have little impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭JayPS 2288

Taking the extreme example of driving from Malin Head to Mizen Head (even if the whole stretch was 120 km/h, which it isn’t), you’d still only “waste an hour”.

Don’t forget that the kinetic energy of the car is E=1/2 mv^2.

The energy consumption increases by the square of the velocity of the car. The kinetic energy is 70% if driving at 100 km/h rather than 120.

you're right, but for the wrong reasons; burning fuel to increase kinetic energy only really matters during acceleration, but when at a steady speed, i.e. when kinetic energy is not changing, it doesn't take fuel to maintain KE, it takes fuel to push the air out of the way. the vast majority of fuel burn at 120km/h is overcoming air resistance, and air resistance squares with velocity.

IIRC the bugatti veyron, which develops ~1000BHP needs 150BHP (could be 250BHP?) to get to 150mph, but another 850BHP to get to 250MPH, and that's down to the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

While at the same time banning the sale of turf and Smokey coal, timber for firewood will be next in line on the hit list. Then they can control oil gas and electric heating by limiting it, same with food, wait and see.

yeah, and soon after that you'll only be allowed go from dublin to galway if there's a good strong easterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This link suggests that there may be more than meets the eye when it comes to marine vs. motor car emissions.

http://www.oldsaltblog.com/2021/04/no-sixteen-large-ships-do-no-pollute-more-than-all-the-cars-in-the-world/

Whatever about ships we actually have to pay to fill up our cars at the pump and slowing down can save us money.

The sixteen largest ships emit the same amount of CO2 as all the world's cars.

not only is that wrong, you're even getting the incorrect claim wrong.

the claim you're parroting was about sulphur dioxide, not CO2. and even with that, the claim about SO2 doesn't stand up.

anyway, the world's cars are estimated to produce two to four times as much CO2 as the entire global maritime fleet.

huh, i should have refreshed, elperello got there before me.

also - the claim, originally made in 2009, and based on faulty assumptions, obviously couldn't take into account that sulphur limits were dropped from 3.5% to 0.5% in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Curtesy of the BBC f course you won’t find any independent source because it doesn’t fit the narrative.

• Advertisement

This is not the conspiracy theories forum? The chap who originally formulated the claim was interviewed for that, how much closer to the source do you want?

Advertisement