Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Savings After Paying Deposit

Options
  • 07-04-2022 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows if banks require you to have money left over in your savings after you pay deposit on a house? The house itself needs a small bit of work..furnishing, it is a bit dated, but nothing major. Could the bank reject the mortgage if you don't have say 10k left over to do bits and pieces of cosmetic work to the house (no structural work)? As in I am happy to live in it as is for a while, while I build back up my savings after paying the deposit.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭RINO87

They may look for deposit + around 10k to cover stamp duty, solicitors, surveys etc, after that what you do with the house with regards cosmetic work is up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 misterreginald96

Thanks, yes I meant to say I had included solicitor stamp duty etc. in my costs, so I'd basically have nothng left over ! People have been saying to me that banks still want you to have 10k left to buy couches new carpets ..paint etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭RINO87

Got ya! I have not heard of banks asking for proof of that (I'm no expert tho!) Some even used to offer cashback at drawdown for this purpose, some still do I think

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Not at all. Any time I've bought property, every last cent I had went into the purchase & additional costs and pretty much was living pay cheque to pay cheque for a couple of months after.

Not ideal and pretty scary to be honest but had to do it to secure the property I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 misterreginald96

Thanks All, what would be your opinions on purchasing a property that is liveable but definitely needs some renovation (insulation some rewiring etc)? I'm considering purchasing a property where I would have about 10k left to tip away at some work initially and saving for work as I go. Has any one done this? Is it foolish not having all the money to do the renovation immediately?

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Not a problem for me in 2018. It was “ livable “but stank of pee, holes kicked in doors , filthy . You get the idea.

banks don’t check that, only that it’s livable & valuation done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Not at all, it can even be better to live somewhere for a while to get a better feel for the flow of the house before doing any major work, or even ordering a sofa!

I've also cleaned myself out when buying a property, one thing to factor in is it will likely be at least a month between going sale agreed and getting keys so if you're saving each month, you'll have a small buffer at least

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭SunnySundays

The bank will want it to be habitable, insurance and no warnings in their valuation, I.e. doesn't call out an asbestos issue or something major like a fire hazard.

If memory serves me correct if it's a very old property, they might require a structural survey in addition to a valuation.

If it's cosmetic and non essential, they don't care. If they ask (which they may do of the valuation indicates it needs work) advice it's all non essential and you plan to do it over time as spare finances allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

You’d have to factor in heating costs as well going forward if the house needs insulating etc given the recent hikes in electricity and gas prices and the increases in the price of materials. The house we’re renting at the moment needs insulating and our electricity and gas bills were nearly 1k and that was us being mindful of not using the heating as much

Might not be too much of an issue if you’re living on your own though

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

About 133m2

2 adults& 3 kids living here

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ewiz9

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭JayPS 2288

Can you not just alter a bank statement from another bank or a credit union book?

Advertisement