Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone know what auctioneers/estate agents charge for selling land?

• 19-04-2022 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭

I was always wondering what type of cut they get for selling a place?

I heard about a bit of land that might be coming up for sale close enough to me that I might be interested in. Would the auctioneers fees be an incentive for someone to consider a private sale if approached? I suppose for 1-3% probably not. Although for 3% you're stil talking one acre to the auctioneer for every 33 sold.

I'm sure there is a range and that it would depend on other factors. What is typical though?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭epfff

Think 2% plus or including vat is the normal asking.

Used to be very negotiable as its money for jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No wonder they are usually smarmy fu$kers.

Handy money for no effort and no special skill required.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

1% + vat

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That would be the kinda of figure I would expect it to be as well depending on the farm and how hard it would be to sell. Remember the Vat goes to Revenue.

Ya on a 100 acre dairy farm that kinda of sells itself for 1.5-2 million the 15-20 k is easily earned. But some of these may be below 1%.

However for a 40 farm that has been in conacre for 10+years with poor bounds at the end of a boreen maybe struggling to make 270-300k where the owner thinks it worth 15k/acre I expect it harder earned.

Slava Ukrainii

Remember the Vat goes to Revenue

Not always. It sometimes depends on whether your name is Mick Wallace or not.

(Auctioneer or used car salesman might be a good option for him after the next election)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Nothing stops illegal activity. But for an auctioneer a long time in the business he would always have had to pay his vat bill. And if he was paid part cash, farmers like many others are not noted for paying vat in that situation.

Slava Ukrainii

Ah it was just a joke about Wallace. Wallace (or his company) weren't done for dealing in cash, they were done for collecting the VAT but hiding it in the books and not passing it on

If there was one activity which was traceable it would be buying and selling of land!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

2% around here, I enquired last year.

Advertisement