Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Landlord causing building disruption - tenant rights

Options
  • 19-04-2022 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Landlord here. The property I rent recently had an inspection from the local Council and some work needs to be undertaken to bring it up to standard.

Nothing major, but the most disruptive is creating some holes in the wall for ventilation.

Anyway, I organised workers to do the job, they did 2 rooms, but they left the bedroom messy dusty with little protective covering, and tenant is now claiming they have a previous poor health condition, cannot sleep in the room and will bring photos to a solicitor.

Any advice re tenant/landlord rights and responsibilities for this, would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect tradespeople to clean up after work is being done. If I was the person who engaged and paid them, I'd be unhappy.

As a tenant, I would expect the landlord to sort this.

As a landlord, I would sort this. I would hire a professional cleaner to do it, but that's just me.

I would also expect to have to come to an agreement with the tenant with regards to any damage to their property, or whether their property (e.g. clothes, furniture, sheets) needs to also be cleaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

this is a tricky one with so little info.

how did they go about the work, what did they do to mitigate dust (extraction etc), did they cover everything, did they clean up , how much dist was actually created

was the tennant given notice, were they told to move the stuff, have they moved or covered stuff, are they extra sensitive to dust , have they informed prior to the job, are they OCD types where the smallest but of dust is a huge problem

if their problem is genuine then its the landlords responsibility . clean any dust and wash anything that needs it. then seek repayment from the tadesman.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Your tenant is an idiot. A little bit of hovering would sort it out. No need for solicitor talk. I hope you increase his rent to the limit each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I had a guy putting a 4inch in an external wall. I told him to be careful of the dirt and to take steps to stop the dust going everywhere.

He didnt. When i walked back into the room the was dust everywhere. I was livid. I told him to clean up but he didnt really clean at all just swept and was rising more dust. I just paid him and told him to fcuk off and gave him bad reviews.

Then got out the hoover, duster and a mop and spent 2 hours cleaning it. Next day had to give everything another wipe down. And another wipe.

No need ofr solicitors and threats. Its a pain in the arse, but a bit of cleaning is all you need to do. The tenant seems more concerned with getting money out of you than just cleaning their apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭KTBFFH

Thanks for all your replies.

A little update and more info:

-tenants informed in advance (actually had to change days because tenant had doors locked on previous planned date)

-Again, all doors locked on this second scheduled day, time I am paying professional workers for

-Had to reschedule until lunchtime when they return, they left back door open only, so all tools had to be dragged around the back

After getting a call thinking the house was destroyed, turns out the tenants returned at 5 while workers still going and went mad. Of course I was never told this on the phone.

The workers cleaned up, some dust left on blankets and top of desks. They had only done 2 rooms.

More than happy to bring the house up to newer standards

Post edited by KTBFFH on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Ripp the tenant to shreds for messing you about. Get rid of them if you can they are trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Deeec

Tenent sounds like a nightmare being honest. They sound like the type who will always be looking for a way to make a quick buck. They have completely exaggerated the issue here - it sounds like it just needs a good clean which the builder would have done if they had given him the chance.

I know it's a pain but you need to go round and clean it for them - be painfully slow at this 😜 just to annoy them. Before the builder comes back to finish the job ask tenents ( by text or email)to move belongings to rooms already done - make sure you are also there to supervise when builder returns.

Huge red flag raised about these tenents - if this is how they are with this issue imagine how the will behave with bigger issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I've put in many vents over the decades. It is very messy & dusty work. Usually the homeowner takes a lot of the clutter out of the room first. Then dust sheets covering the furniture. The four walls in the room will have a coat of dust, particularly if a core bit is used to make the hole. If the room was cluttered then dust sheets won't make a huge difference. I'd expect the trades to tidy up & use the hoover but in a cluttered room they won't get it all

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Fair wear and tear. You would be surprised what goes under that heading with our professionals in the prtb.

Well if you are a landlord anyway😣

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

He must nor have used the correct drill , the proper one uses water to prevent dust in the way a con saw does ,the tenant should really be asked to vacate the property for several hours while this kind of work is being carried out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Ive drilled many vent holes myself and been on many sites where vent holes were being drilled in the past and I have never heard of anyone using water to drill a vent hole. What a stupid idea. Think about it. You might get away with it before there is any insulation of plasterboard on a wall. If youve seen a con saw you know how much water is involved. Do you really want that going down the inside of your walls.

This time I decided to outsource as i didnt have the patience to do it and clean up after it. Well the person I outsourced it to didnt fancy cleaning with so i ended up doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Coring out is a messy, difficult and possibly dangerous business and is something not to be done on a ladder so it is normal to do it inside. Ignore the solicitor stuff, that is going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

OP, get rid of the stress. The work was needed and it's a messy job that creates a lot of dust. Pay professional cleaners to clean the dusty areas - even if the tenant has already vacuumed. If your tenants are still not happy you could give them a voucher or a small discount on the rent for the inconvenience.

Advertisement