Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is anyone being reimbursed by their employer for charging company car at home?

• 20-04-2022 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭

Curious to know if anyone is being reimbursed by their employer for topping up at home and how are you monitoring it?

Comments

They do in my place and even pay for installation of fast charger but it is another Country so won't help you.

The only thing the employee pays is BIK on the benefit of having an expensive charger installed free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭eltoastero

Using a Zappi hub to monitor monthly consumption, I log it in my accounts and my own LTD company reimburses me for electricity used at home (I've no idea how that's street legal but apparently it is)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Would it not just simply be a case of x km's of business km's multiplied by an agreed €/km figure?

What that €/km figure is, would be the big question. I guess you would use the lowest civil service rate to ensure you are revenue compliant. That should leave you quids in in terms of what its actually costing you.

You could track kWh's pumped into the car but I cant see how that would really work as you couldnt allocate the right amount to the business miles. Tried and tested method is the way to go surely?.... (business km's)*(€/km)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,772 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's a company car so he can't use CS rates.

I'd suggest setting up an excel that tracks what % you plug in at and % you stop the charge at. Allow an extra 10% for losses and multiply by the rate used (night rate or day rate).

So for a 58KW car plugged in at 30% and charged to 80% look for 31.9KW @ 11c.

You either request a cheque/EFT each month or ask them to account for it as a contribution you make towards the running of the car which will reduce the taxable benefit of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭eltoastero

The reasoning applied by the tax & accounting company that I use is that my company is supplying me the car for Private use (which is the wording associated with the 0% BIK rule). And that every cost incurred for continued use of the car is paid for by the company (that owns the car) - and they emphasised the word EVERYTHING.

So the obvious ones like tax, insurance, tyres, repairs come easily to mind, but apparently charging, parking, cleaning etc is also covered. Now I haven't pushed my luck with parking or new alloys or anything else wild, but every other cost incurred by the use of the car has been put through my company (without issue so far)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Great that's what I really wanted to know, anything to get the bik down a little as it's a phev. It'll fall into the 18% bracket next year so not as bad then.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,772 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It'll be better to take the reimbursement in most cases. You could always run the calculations yourself though.

If they treat your ESB claim as a cost towards the running of the car it'll only reduce the taxable benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I get it now, I thought it might come off the tax due, makes sense just to get reimbursed directly then thanks.

Advertisement