Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭nomoedoe

It’s a section that goes under the road there’s two of them on the greenway one at Ballyduff and one at McGrath’s cross

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I for one would certainly not go on the Greenway without a helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

I for one would certainly not go on the Greenway without a helmet.

Definitely! There's too many variables to consider, ie the conditions on the day, the people, walkers, runners, other cyclists, kids, dogs etc. You really have to be alert at all times when its busy. Unless you plan to cycle @ 1 or 2km per hours (snails pace) than a helmet is a must.

I have been cycling for years (since childhood) and have only used a helmet say the last 10yrs or so. I do so to protect my head & more importantly my brain. Any other injuries are at my own risk. The HGV argument OP have cited is spurious. Dont wear one if you dont want too but you are increasing your risk of lasting damage should you fall & hit your head. Same reason why hurlers are required to wear helmets - protecting their heads/brains. Look at all the old footballers contracting dementia due to heading brick balls back in the day; broken bones heal but brain injuries can be permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Helmets are cheap enough that there's no excuses for the kids to not be wearing one at least. With my kids Ive had a no helmet, no ride, no exceptions rule all along. I didnt wear a helmet myself unless mandatory in a race until I was 30. In the years that followed I saw some gruesome things. I saw helmets potentially save a guys life and other occassions where they sadly didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

I don't see what the problem is with wearing a helmet? Like, surely its better to just be safe than sorry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

This thread has had a good run, buy I fear it's going to descend into an endless debate on the wearing of cycling helmets, like so many threads on the cycling forum.

How about we all park our views, and get back to discussing the greenway?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I did see the Kilmeaden train last week again. Do they intend to bring it to Bilberry?

Azatadine wrote: »
    I did see the Kilmeaden train last week again. Do they intend to bring it to Bilberry?

I think that was the plan originally but I don't that's going ahead anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Azatadine wrote:

Apparently there was a plan a few years ago to even bring it into the city, which would have been a fantastic idea, makes a lot of sense to bring it to bilberry though

That's a pity. Nice little platform and everything already in Bilberry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Apparently there was a plan a few years ago to even bring it into the city, which would have been a fantastic idea, makes a lot of sense to bring it to bilberry though

Current rolling stock does not allow for speeds to finish the return journey in less that an hour -> this would have a great impact on the schedule as it is now with train leaving from Kilmeadan on the hour every hour.

Due to H&S reasons & lack of pass loops - only one train is allowed on the line at any given time. Except for maintenance purposes at the agreed time and communication channel opened between the teams.

As for the platform in Bilberry - occasionally organised groups were collected at Bilberry and brought over to Mt. Congreve. Early mornings, pre-booked, out of schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

sporina wrote: »
    It could be raised/lowered - they said they didn't know of other bikes where the seats could be moved back/forth - would be interested to know if other co's have bikes with seats that can be adjusted in this way - anyone?

All normal saddles can be moved backwards/forwards, and from the one time I've rented them, the greenway bikes were bog standard. The underside has a couple of rails that the seatpost clamps on to which will give about 3-4cm leeway. Depending on the saddle it might be a bit fiddly to do which may be why they couldn't be bothered (or you got somebody that had just been given the basics). That said it's not that difficult - loosen one or two bolts adjust and tighten. Most people would never bother adjusting it, and for those who do, it's usually a one off thing. The seatpost however is easily accessible - a single bolt to loosen to allow it to move

You may have got the wrong size bike and would have been better off with a size up/down, though that said, my upper body is a bit longer than average compared to my legs so I usually have to adjust things personally

Anybody know what’s going on at the Carriganore entrance on the Greenway just down the hill there’s a lot of work going on in the field?

Also Cork and Waterford councils looking to link up Mallow and Dungarvan

https://waterfordcouncilnews.com/2022/03/07/councils-to-examine-feasibility-of-new-greenway-linking-mallow-and-dungarvan/

That's very cool.

I was out there this morning and there is a lot of work going on ,tables and benches added, id say it will look great when finished!

Is there a homeless lad living in a section around the toll bridge? I've seen him coming out of there a few times in the morning with a bag.

• Advertisement

One person had to be airlifted by Rescue 117 from the Greenway due to a serious head injury

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm guessing most of the reason for the airlift was getting an ambulance to the scene on the greenway was problematic, easier land in a field beside the incident.

Yeah id imagine so ,the person was airlifted to Waterford airport and transferred from there by ambulance to Ardkeen according to Rescue 117 facebook ,although i have seen ambulances on the greenway for minor accidents it all depends on what section and access etc

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Kilkenny36

Seems pretty bad to think that a Rescue Helicopter can't land at the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭914

Not really, R117 needs a large helipad and plenty of space or you risk blowing in the windows due to the downdraft.

UHW doesn't have the space at present.

Waterford Airport is a very short spin by ambulance to UHW and sometimes they land at Waterpark Rugby Club which is practically beside the hospital.

This would be normal practice, CUH is another example where R117 land at Cork Airport and the patient is then transfer by ambulance to CUH.

Landing in the airport also ensures fire cover is present.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 wytek

The following notice is being given to inform the public that the contractor for the Bilberry to Waterford City Centre Greenway Link project, working on behalf of Waterford City and County Council, John Cradock Limited, will be working outside of normal working hours as per the following:

• Monday 06/03/23 – Thursday 16/03/23 (inclusive), commencing 9pm until 6am (Excluding Saturdays & Sundays)

This is to facilitate works to complete the removal of existing traffic islands, construction of new traffic islands and the installation of services at Rice Bridge Junction

and

• Thursday 30/03/23 – Thursday 13/04/23 commencing 9pm until 6am (Excluding Saturdays & Sundays)

This is to facilitate works including the planing of the existing road surfacing, laying of new road surfacing, installation of new traffic loops and road markings and the commissioning of new traffic lights at Rice Bridge Junction.

Note: During this period night works may not be required between Tue 04/04/23 & Tue 11/04/23.

Over a year later and there is still no access to this,anyone know what’s going on with it?

A couple of positives from the greenway,the Kilmeadan village link was officially opened last week and looks like the Bilberry link into the city isn’t too far off, also the Kiloteran car park is getting all new fencing around it and what looks like a seating area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Lads, did I hear that the new greenway section from Rice Bridge to Bilberry is open now, or did I just imagine it?

• Advertisement

I see, despite the investment, the council or whoever is responsible have decided not to bother cutting the grass or doing any maintenance on the new layout. 6 feet high weeds and grass never cut. Like everything else out that way, low priority seemingly even though it looks terrible.

Advertisement