Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Electricity Unit Rates

• 18-04-2022 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is feasible to keep updated but it would be nice if we can get a spreadsheet going with the best unit rates (like the PV one we have)

When you try to look at all the individual unit rates on Bonkers it's not easy.

Ideally by someone with proper Excel skills, something like this maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

Great idea and to maybe add in the rural and urban standing charges with each as this appears to be the new covert way of putting prices up by the utilities at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

For sure and maybe also "low usage" standing charges which are higher again which can impact us solar fanboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,069 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It would be very difficult to keep it up to date. It changes all the time, you just wouldn’t be able to trust it.

This is exactly why the price comparison sites exist. A spreadsheet is just going to be replicating what they have but less sophisticated.

When you try to look at all the individual unit rates on Bonkers it's not easy.

i find it easy enough. It breaks the prices down, sorts them and even accounts for upcoming price changes and cash back etc and you can enter your exact kWh figures and tells you cheapest for you.

A spreadsheet won’t beat that without ALOT of effort to keep it up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

I still think it would be a good help. Might not have all latest offers but would be of higher benefit to many coming here that have solar. Take the energia day/night ev plan for example that is probably the best out there for those with solar can't be found on bonkers and wouldn't have known it existed only for reading some people posting about it on here. It's plans like this that would be beneficial to have listed here

Open to correction though and I may have missed it on bonkers if you could link it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

To my knowledge it's not on bonkers.

I have a sheet done too but I only go through it and update it when I need to switch.

• Advertisement

Thats somewhat different though.

A spreadsheet of plans with rates that are out of date isnt going to solve that problem.

A thread titled "Plans not available on price comparison sites" would have merit, if there are some missing.

I just cant see how a spreadsheet providing plans/rates is going to be useful considering how often they change. If you were in the market right now to switch would you trust a "random" spreadsheet on the internet to make your mind up? I wouldnt. The price comparison sites are regulated and checked for accuracy and, of course, you can check the individual providers sites for any other plans they might provide.

Each to their own but a spreadsheet will only be of any use if it is CONSTANTLY updated for every plan (urban, rural, smart, day/night, usage caps, price changes etc... the combinations are massive).... the price comparison sites have a team of developers dedicated to just that exact problem.... why reinvent the wheel?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I don't think anyone is trying to recreate bonkers.ie here. Reality is that there is only going to be a handful of plans of interest to people here, probably less than five.

Lowest off peak rate, highest FIT payment etc.

Right, so how does a spreadsheet give you that unless its constantly updated to show the cheapest.... Electric Ireland might be the cheapest today and way down the table tomorrow. Unless the spreadsheet is kept up to date constantly it doesnt serve any real purpose relative to just going to the price comparison sites and entering your details and getting a tailored made response that meets your individual needs (rural vs urban, smart vs d/n, Solar or not etc etc).

I guess there is one way to tell.... put up the spreadsheet and see if people keep it up to date! ;)

I wouldnt trust it anyway when it comes time to change, but have at it. I'm just pointing out the pitfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Rather than relying on a ss. If we try and popularise a thread where we can post our current provider and rate and why we picked it... it might help others.

You can only really switch once or twice per year.... if you are willing to eat the 50 euro penalty. Based on reading here I already know where I'm switching next year... but that is based on rates today... if there was a thread I might have a different option next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,257 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I've done a spreadsheet that takes into account the peak, off peak, day and EV hours, lets you put in the kwh usage for each of those (or if you have a smart meter/usage meter you can just copy the data into the sheet)

There's not a chance in hell i'm keeping it up to date (and im rural so i didnt put in any urban standing charges) but it only takes 5 minutes to put in the kwh rates, cashback and standing charge of the top offers when you want to switch. The switching sites offer a % on the day night usage but just use national averages for the other smart tariffs so its not remotely close to accurate. I'm surprised they dont allow people to put in more detailed figures already.

If anyone wants it i'll post it up

I was thinking about this and we only need the best current prices in each category broken down by unit rate and standing charges (urban and rural) and then split by electricity only and electricity & gas

This will keep it simple to update and to find the info quickly

And yes it will only be as good if kept updated, but hoping that people who do the yearly hunt can point out when they find better deals.

Could be expanded in the future to something you can drop your usage into like @eeepaulo has done above

Does bonkers expose an api for their rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭harderthanf

Have been looking at this to integrate into the www.pvstats.eu site but while there are some api's available nothing useful is free. I could scrap Bonkers but not too sure the time that would take would be useful!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cavan_man2021

It's great having all these charts but energy providers promise the moon and stars, lock you into a 12 month contract then double the price of original deal. This puts me off changing, I just ring the buggers up and get a cheaper price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

and this is another valid strategy worthy of the thread. I prefer to change - and NEVER want to ring any company. Competiton drives prices down - Innovation improves self-service. I chaged to EI recently and there website is atrocious. wont be staying there if i can find a better rate via this thread next year. :)

TLDR Side story. EI have sent me no less than 5 requests for a suvey "how is you experience as a new customer?" - NONE of the links work.

You’ll need to add cashback offers as that can make a big difference depending on your usage.

and something added to show that the price is increasing in say 4 weeks time because it would be very annoying to see electric Ireland as the cheapest in this excel but then find they are way down the list in a few weeks time and you are locked into a 1yr contract. The price comparison sites do this, so you would need to at least do that to ensure you aren’t misleading people.

To be fair the first thing I do is ask when I call them is: "Are these current rates for about 2 days and then you scalp me or what" but different verbiage ofc 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

These companies will all roll out another wooden price-increase cart to the public. When they'll do it and the contents of said price increase cart are kept well under wraps

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CHorn

Actually yes, if possible. I could use as a start. What with EVs, PVs, batteries it's all getting more and more complex. I tried PMing but you're private but if you need an email addy for me should be in my profile or PM me. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭barrystealover

Flogas Community Plan - Electricity Fixed 1 YR

https://www.flogas.ie/flogas-community-plan-electricity-fixed-1-yr.html

is the above the best rate, currently on the market, for a day/night meter for a non smart meter customer who doesn't have pv panels?

use roughly 3,880 kwh day hours and 1639 kwh night hours per year so 70% day and 30% night of my total usage

currently paying .4390 for day incl vat and .2166 for night incl vat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

yes (PV or not), but also check out Waterpower for their variable rates

check out the dedicated electricity switching forum\thread:

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes. But get a battery and inverter and use 100% night to take full advantage. Ignore waterpower, they have their promoters but you have no price certainty. Flogas is fixed for 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭barrystealover

perfect i am just filling in form, for flogas, and a small thing. i have a day night meter and they ask for 2 things:

electricity meter reading

electricity night saver meter reading

is the top one(electricity meter reading) the a)overall reading OR b)the day reading?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Top one would be the day reading

Bottom one night

Technically DN don't have a total reading, but in practice they do so switching to 24 hr is just using the total one

• Registered Users Posts: 36 luckycat007

Love this idea of a spreadsheet, or tool, to compare best rates - but better yet - you can download all of your actual consumption data from the ESB dashboard (or your own provider), and based on patterns in your own consumption figure out the best plan for you. We have a SmartEV plan now that is rolling off of contract in a few months from BG, but I'm really wondering if our consumption during day or peak hours is more than offsetting the savings of the EV charging (we are only charging a PHEV- and btw use almost 0 EU petrol as we drive w/in PHEV's range daily).

Seems like this is something switcher or bonkers should do - they have all current plans, just need a mechanism to import usage data to offer up the most ideal plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭con747

I'd be careful accessing data on your suppliers portal if you have a smart meter, some suppliers activate your smart meter when you do so you are stuck on smart tariffs going forward.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭curioustony

@luckycat007 If you have Android, try searching for "Eco power optimiser" in the play store. You need the double quotes. It's a new app so not many users/reviews yet so it does not come up without the quotes.

Downside is you do still need to do a bit of leg work...

Also works: Pub: tonyslogic

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

Yep .already on a smart plan, and happy with it...and just saw some substantial additional discounts on BG so crunching new numbers...

• Advertisement

Will check it out. In the meantime I created a spreadsheet to compare rates using my actual 3 month energy patterns by time that should remain about the same.

Advertisement