Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs you'll never see the like of again.

• 16-04-2022 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭

The recent Dead Kennedys thread has given me inspiration to start this thread, spurred on by @NewbridgeIR posting that Dead Kennedys video from 1984, I think its nice to have a thread to look back on these legendary concerts. Now this could probably go to any of the other sub forums but I think it fits here as it is events, but events of the past that we should never forget.

I'll start the ball rolling with this deadly nearly an hour footage of The Birthday Party filmed circa 1982 / 83.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

From the same era, New Order in Kilkenny, April 1983.

The full performance is on DVD as part of the Power, Corruption & Lies Super Deluxe Edition.

I remember this gig taking place but was too young to go. A number of older guys from our road did make it up there.

It later became Hotel Kilkenny and I put on an indie night there in 1992. Played True Faith at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Nice one NewbridgeIRL, and now for something completely different, I think I exhausted the Nick Mason thread so I'll post the original abridged version of Atom Heart Mother that was performed by Pink Floyd in 1970 when they didn't have the choir orchestra or brass handy. I much prefer it as its very ambient. You can imagine Gilmour and the Late Richard Wright reliving their choir boy days fleshing out this number with their ethereal voices. Now I know this was performed for TV with no audience like Pompeii but ye'll not see this version again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I had to google this: iI remember well sitting on a river bank ( doubt health & safety would let this happen today ) in Macroom to watch a gig by Mike Oldfield.

I really enjoyed the gig although Mike Oldfield is not the easiest gig as on vinyl He played all the instruments Himself, which is impossible on stage.

Fantastic Gig though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Stillill42

The Smiths, Fairways Hotel, Dundalk, early 1986. I couldn't go, my cousin could and he's never let me forget it. I weep when I look at the setlist.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-smiths/1986/fairways-hotel-dundalk-ireland-23d7d453.html

Was lucky to catch Robert Calvert & the Starfighter's in 1987 at Son of Acid Daze festival also headlined by Hawkwind, a one day event held in Leeds Queens Hall. Robert Calvert for folk not in the know was also called Bob Calvert and he was resident poet, story teller and vocalist with Hawkwind and Hawklords throughout the early to late seventies. It was only a year later when Calvert passed away, so was very lucky to see this gig. The only video clip of Calvert floating on YouTube occasionally is Quark, Strangeness and Charm filmed for the Marc Bolan Show in 1977, if I find it I'll post it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭skinnyfries

I was at The Smith’s gig in The Fairways, I caught the drumstick too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭holly8

One Easter Monday night, back in the 80s, Vic Godard and The Subway Sect played in The Crystal Ballroom, Kiltimagh ... I have the poster somewhere.

Every punk in Mayo must have gone to it :) NME later described Kiltimagh as the "arsehole of nothingness" ... I was so proud !

I saw The Smiths at The National Stadium, the day after the Fairways gig. Only my second concert. Some atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Might as well mention my first ever gig

It was up in the SCR ( in the NCH )& was a double bill ofLindisfarne & Genesis.

Incredible double header. What an introduction to Music😃👍

BTW, Bodhrandude,many thanks for the Pink Floyd video above.

• Advertisement

I have seen The Fall 13 times since 1990 but the best time was the last one. Kilkenny again on the anniversary on Elvis Presley's death. The Set Theatre was packed, the sound was amazing and even non-Fall fans were up dancing including a group on a ladies night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,989 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Pogues first ever gig in Dublin, at McGonagles, 1985

Audio is available on YouTube;

The bouncers spent 15 minutes trying to keep the crowd off the stage, then strategically withdrew and the crowd just blended with the band for the remainder.

I was at the Manic Street Preachers at the Back of The Mansion, Waterford on 26 April 1991. Short set, around 25 minutes. Supported by The Bewildered Teapots.

It was plugged by Blitz Records which opened sometime in late 1990. Blitz was run by a guy called Liam and was located on Arundel Square near Enterprise Home Care. He once shared a flat with The Senseless Things. The morning after the Manics gig, Blitz was flooded with people – all looking for the Motown Junk 12″. He only had the one copy.

Morrissey played the National Stadium the following night - so we got the Rapid Express up that day. Most intense gig ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭satguy

This Guy,, See Below,, Colm Cahill in the early 00's had the Friday night residency at The Continental Bar in Portarlington for 4 or 5 years.

He did some of the best gigs I've ever seen.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Freddie's last performance with Queen at Knebworth in 1986:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I saw Crowded House's "farewell" gig in front of the Sydney Opera House. It was a free charity event with a huge crowd. Up to 250,000. What an event, location and band. November, 1996.

This is a band I've always wanted to see live but never did, the last I heard they appeared in the festival bill in Houston Texas 2016 for the Day For Night Festival which was being headlined by Aphex Twin amongst others. The Butthole Surfers live in 1987 Hairway to Steven Tour, probably NSFW because the backdrop for the gig is a film of a penis skin graft operation and some nudity, so I heard anyway.

Post edited by bodhrandude on

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A year before that gig at Knebworth there was another at Wembley that I suspect we won't see the likes of again

Being Irish, and the Cranberries being on fire at the time, this was a fantastic location to see them. The Royal Albert Hall. January 1995.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

September 1972?

If so, that was the first time that Peter Gabriel wore the foxhead costume. Was the Foxtrot tour.

Here are the final 9 minutes of a 55 year career (last ever gig last month). Peter Gabriel was in attendance but sadly not on stage.

• Advertisement

A year before that gig at Wembley

That Thunder and Lightening will not strike again

Radiohead, Punchestown, October 2000, Kid A album, Circus Tent

Don't know what happened, but no queues, parked car, walked right to the front of the stage.

Brilliant, surreal, magnificent concert.

No queues, drove home.

I think Kid A was a sleeper album, and people must have stayed away.

Also, October in Kildare in a tent was risky. As risky as Kid A.

They were selling tickets at the door if I remember.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

Got to mention my 60th birthday present from my Mrs.

IOver the years I had seen all members ( bar Sid - well I don’t think my favourite track was out when did was around ) except for David Gilmore perform One of These Days. I was 60 in 2016 & for a present, my Wife bought a ti key to see David in Wrocław. It was an open air gig on the grounds of the University it was end of June & 35c. I was in at 18h00 as it was standing only. What made the gif even more ‘interesting’ was nobody was buying any liquids as that would result in having to vacate their spot for a pee. David came on stage at 22hh00 played for an hour then a 30 minute break before playing until 01h15. AND for me the bonus was He played OOTD for the first time in ( reputedly) 24 years.

Truly an amazing gig. Met people there from Australia, Israel, and Argentina, all travelling to see The Master perform.

Its one Gig I will never ever forget and somehow I think David’s last tour.

Back to '83 and Bowie at his absolute best, under the moonlight, the Serious Moonlight:

That’s it in one newbridgeIR.

My oh my, the memories😃👍😃

And back to 1982. Seeing the Stones again in a few weeks time and maybe they can still reach the heights they hit back then - time will tell. However Slade were only ever the real thing when they had Noddy -

Slade In Flame is my favourite rock film

There was informal discussion of reunion in recent months but it may be 10 years too late

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭dasdog

There should have been a preservation order put on McGonagles - the place had so much music/cultural importance even if it was a bit of a kip and probably would break all sorts of safety regulations now. Pretty much anyone who frequented it recalled an iconic gig - Ozzy for me.

Hawkwind playing Stonehenge during the Summer Solstice @bodhrandude looked like it was absolutely mental. You'll never see that again although probably with justified reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Man, what a gig!

I was only 16 or so at the time and went with a load of my mates, we were all massive Radiohead fans. Had the time of our lives!

• Advertisement

Yep, we really didn't know how lucky we were !! Think 1/2 of the concert is on that YouTube link courtesy of the band themselves. I was 10 feet from the band.

I've seen them before and after in much more crowded, uncomfortable venues, but nothing can compare to that.

(Edit)

It was like being on an inter dimensional space ship 😊😊😊

Advertisement