Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lidl Knocknacarra

• 07-12-2021 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭

The building under construction looks absolutely massive. What else is in the planning for it? Not just a Lidl store obviously.

Comments

A few other retail outlets, cafe, barbers, nail bar, physio and parking.

eplanning website you can check plans/correspondence

• Registered Users Posts: 23,326 ✭✭✭✭zell12

When is the supermarket due to open?

The height should cast an evening shadow on Aldi in summer 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I believe part of the reason it's so huge is that the parking will be on the lower levels.

If parking is on the lower levels, which floor will the groceries be on? Building looks big but it blends in a bit, I really like they have pedestrian access off the roundabout and a good outside layout

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Any word on when this is opening? Looks like it’s flying up. Nothing on Lidl’s website.

• Advertisement

Big sign on front says 24th March at 8am

Be nice to have another bakery in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Any sign of what special offers they will have for the opening ?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Which are??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

• Advertisement

Price war! Aldi Knocknacarra offering 25% off fruit&veg until 24/04

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Was in Lidl Knocknacarra mid week recently for the first time. It was nice to see all the fresh bread pastries as you come in. Just like the on in Tuam.

But the parking! How many cars can it take? 20? So tight. Too tight for my liking.

Has anyone been in it when it was busy and what was the parking like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭what_traffic

86 so over 4 times more than what you posted?

see: /plan.galwaycity.ie/VirtualViewerNetHTML5/index.html?documentId=18224_DRAWINGS

don't think there is an Opticians near here though

I was actually interested in seeing the layout of the disabled parking (in the context of a busy day) and how accessible it is. It had to be better than Westside which is impossible for disabled drivers. And across the road at Aldi Westside. There are a few spaces there but one near Mr Price which is so badly laid out as to be almost invisible. Your reference to Opticians does not sit well with those who have a visual impairment.

I have a visual impairment - you counted roughly 20... how did you manage to do this? Am a big advocate of properly installed disabled parking all over the City. The Westside retail park where ALDI is, is a mess in so many ways - would not be comparing it with the general standard that ALDI and LIDL stores though when they are doing self builds.

I did not actually 'count' twenty spaces in LIDL. It was a general summing up of how few spaces I thought there were. It was not meant to be taken literally. I did not seem that there wee over 90 spaces there. But there you go.

Whenever new parking areas are opened I always want to know how accessible they are. How tight they are. I am very poor at judging width. I would never go into the parking indoors in Merchants Road for example. I can not understand how disabled parking is so poorly planned. Whose bright idea was it to put a few disabled spaces at the entrance to Dunnes Stores Westside? Not only a disaster of a location but so tightly packed together. Same again in Terryland some spaces near EZ living. But a crazy and dangerous layout. Cars coming at you from all sides. Great exception being the spaces in front of Harvey Norman out there in Knocknacarra.

Ya agree - those new spaces at the Gateway Retail Park are well laid out opposite Boots/Harveys/Evergreen.

Merchants Road is in the remit of Galway City Council - so they really should be leading by example here + when giving planning permission for NEW developments like the recent LIDL on the Western Distributor Road; perhaps the private operators will follow the Council lead if they put in the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

Lidl car park is decent and spaces are plenty big enough, that is when people know how to drive. Like the fact they spent the extra buck on the spaces to really drill down to those to ensure they give space to the car next to you. But really it is a waste of money as those people generally like to have 2 spaces for their car. The only draw back i see is just the placement of the electric charger. A big plus is a section of the car park is covered.

• Advertisement

I noticed a charger thing as I was going in. I know nothing about that charging business. Is it worthwhile charging for the 30 minutes or less that you would be shopping there?

I have seen the charging points in Woodquay and often wondered if I had an electric car and went there to charge up. People stop there to charge up and off into town for shopping. But do they return when the car is just charged or when they have finished their shopping? Is it possible to see if a car is fully charged ?

those discussions are for the ev forum https://www.boards.ie/categories/electric-vehicles-hybrids

but to answer, the charger at lidl is a fast charge point, so charging for 30 minutes would give you 50% (there are variables) as a result yes its worth it if you need to charge as its convienent. However most would have their car charged at home cause its cheaper....

charge points in woodquay and dyke road are what we call slow chargers, so to make effective use of them it makes sense to park up and go to town for 3-4 hours and come back. depending on the variables you get 50% charge out of that and maybe more.

some cars have an indicator showing how full the battery is, but you are able to judge as well when looking at the charge point too.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭rustyfrog

Any word of the other businesses that were to open with Lidl?

You'd think that the cafe would have been an attractive new business with an inexpensive bakery right upstairs with a car park on a busy road.

Signage up saying a cafe is opening on ground floor looking out at roundabout, in May. Plus there is supposed to be a new launderette opening there soon - Speed Queen Laundry

Cafe and launderette still not opened.

Advertisement