Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycle up Dublin/Wicklow Mountains

• 14-04-2022 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi, I have 5-6hrs to kill in Dublin tomorrow (Fri) and was thinking I'd get some time on the bike so was thinking of heading for some hills up the Dublin/Wicklow mountains by doing part of the Randonnee Sportive route. I'll be starting from Red Cow Business Park (Robinhood Rd) at 8.30am and was going to make my way over to start of Randonee Sportive (through Kimmage, Terranure, Churchtown, Dundrum, Sandyford, Stepaside). I was then going to follow a 72km loop taking in parts of the 146km Randonnee route. This is a total of 103km by time I get back to Red Cow Business Park. Do any of you cycle these roads regularly on your own and would you deem these safe for a solo rider? I've done the Randonnee twice before so I'm somewhat familiar with the roads but that was with a large group. If anyone has other options maybe down Blessington direction from the Red Cow, then I'd be open to considering alternative routes. I just want 5-6hrs on the bike with plenty of hills.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

Roads all fine to cycle solo, some of the most popular around. RedCow to Stepaside is a total urban PIA for a spin where you want to get into the hills though. Suggestion - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/39068540

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

You might like to drop to Manor Kilbride from the Sally Gap - it will be a bit of respite from the climbing! Come back via Brittas and Ballinscorney.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Wavehopper

Thanks lissard but I don't mind the climbing, going to Pyrenees in 8wks so need the practice!

Plastic, that route you sent looks good and it cuts out a lot of busy city roads over to Kilternan so I might go that route. Thanks a lot for that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

For some reason I've only done Kippure near the end of a cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

Been all over the wicklow mountains at all hours and it's always been safe.

Biggest scare was an English motorbike pulling in next to me to tell me I was doing nearly 40mph down the Wicklow gap.

The engine noise at speed sounded like the chain was wrapped around something and banging about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Wavehopper

Just back to base Plastic. Used your route and had a great workout. The first 50km with 1250m was bit of a shock given its the first real hill training in 2022...but was great to get 100km with 2000m into the legs. Very mixed weather on the route, was very glad at times I had enuf gear. Thanks a lot again for the route, was very helpful to be able to follow it from start to finish. It will hopefully stand to me for Donegal Bay next Sat and Randonnee the following Sat.

Advertisement